Thread: White noise from computer speakers

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Default White noise from computer speakers

I recently bought a new set of speakers for my computer, called Logitech X-240. Both the subwoofer and the speakers are constantly making noise. From the speakers comes a sort of buzzing sound, which decreases/increases along with speaker volume, but not with Windows volume. The sub is emitting, well, a bass hum that does not increase or decrease with any volume settings.

I wish to get rid of this. Any suggestions?

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Try plugging the speakers into a different source (like an iPod, or something with a headphone jack) and see if the noise persists. If the noise remains, you might try returning the speakers for a new set.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

my speakers make a lot of noise if I plug them into my laptop while my laptop is plugged in(less so if I have something USB plugged in simultaneously). They also make noise if I hold them in my hand and squeeze the plug. I'm thinking they're very good at picking up electrons from places. Maybe yours are good at electron catching too?

At least you don't have the dreaded brown noise coming from your speakers. Worst week of my life.

Articles

I plugged them into my phone and the noise stopped (well, it stopped when I unplugged them). So I guess it might be something with my motherboard, maybe? Although I never noticed any sound with my old speakers.

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Make sure you have any input sources (such as a microphone) muted from your speaker output. Also make sure the speakers are securely plugged into the receptacle on the back of the computer.

Articles

No additional input sources, and all connections are secure. However, when I connect the speakers directly to the computer there's no noise. It's when they're plugged into the sub unit they make noise. The sub is in turn connected to the computer.