Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese grammar

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I think we are getting off track. My original point was is that subtle differences can cause great change in meaning.

Again, I think you are forgetting the context I am speaking from. Learning from a textbook in a classroom with an instructor using a textbook is different from self-teaching with a textbook. I am talking about a classroom learning with an instructor who is fluent in the language if not a native speaker. BIG DIFFERENCE between just teaching yourself with a textbook, which I had stated above should be complimented by exposure to the language.

To make my point about manga, I will give an example of my friend who is currently in Japanese class. For the purpose of this example, we will call her Jade (not her real name but true story). Now Jade read a lot of manga in Japanese, she was fortunate enough to have went to Japan and bought some in Japanese. Now the thing is Jade, when coming to university, wanted to take Japanese class. The thing is during her first year, she knew a lot of kanji but not a lot of grammar so she had to take a special class her first semester with the first level sensei to fill in the gap. Evidentially, manga doesn't give you everything. Yes, there is a wide variety of manga you can get set in different times but it does not change my point that all you are learning is dialogue--for the most part. I mean you can go import Murakami Haruhi but considering the learning curve you would have to be a masochist not to be disheartened.

I also have someone who knows how to speak Japanese but could not write it well. Though this point was not clear, I was hinting at the fact that writing and speaking are two different activities that overlap but an ability in one does not presuppose an ability in another.

There is a distinct difference between understanding the grammar and merely knowing the grammar, which is was my point. Take English. Most native English speakers could not tell you what an object of a verb is, let alone whether or not it is indirect or direct. Before I go further, I will draw a distinction. Language acquisition for a child is different than that for an adult. A child's mind is much more receptive and sponge like and will absorb the language and grammar without any conscious awareness of it. It is the same principle by which I acquired French. I was exposed to it since the age of 5. A larger portion of a education was in French, and I received little formal teaching in the language (which is why my writing skills in French tend to suffer), however I can perfectly understand someone speaking French and read with ease. Same thing for any native English-speaker. We can all talk with relative ease as well as read, but many people have not mastered the written language.

Returning to my comment of an object of a verb. Object is merely one syntactical term to referring to the noun or phrase to which is the agent of the verb or recipient of the verb. A similar example of syntax is the difference between nominative and predicate positions of adjectives. By reading "He has blue eyes" and "His eyes are blue" you can see the difference between the two and if you think about it for a second, you can get the nuance. But most people, who have not studied another language, syntax/linguistic nor have a formal education in English grammar, would not be able to explain that the difference is that in the first sentence the subject is "He" and the adjective is in the nominative position. The second sentence's subject can be reduce to "his eyes" and the adjective is in the predicate position. I could rake my brain for more examples but I think I have been clear. To simply understand grammar is quite a different thing from knowing the grammar. I think it is important to note, that I only came to understand grammar and syntax(for the most part) in such a manner once I started studying Ancient/Attic Greek (that lasted a year and sorta lost in the recess of my mind) and now Japanese.

Its good to learn how to read Japanese and learn the function of particles before you dive into a manga or a conversation in Japanese, but if you rely solely on a textbook anywhere after that you won't make any real progress.
    Either scroll up to an earlier post or to the beginning of this post. To remind you, I never said that it is good to learn from a textbook alone. However, I never stated that it is good to learn by exposure alone either. Again, my references have been to classrooms where both textbooks and exposure is offered (especially at higher levels and with good sensei).

Not to sound like a broken record, but not once have I stated that you should learn by textbook only or that you cannot learn by exposure/immersion. I expressed that both have their limitations and that they should be used together, in concert, to fully appreciate the language. Moreover, a classroom setting, assuming it is a good one, incorporates both of these factors into it. It offers the knowledge as well as the practise and examples in various contexts to support the knowledge.

1. Yeah but we disagreed on what to and not to learn from a textbook.

2. Only learning dialogue? That's learning how to speak! They come with pictures and everything so you have the whole idea about what's going on. The only thing you won't get from manga is practice trying to actually speak the language (which I guess is the most important part). If Jade read it without understanding the grammar then she wasted her time trying to read it at all. She should be able to ask about or look up things she doesn't know yet. It takes a long time to get through it, especially when you start off with a relatively low vocabulary and understanding of grammar. But if you get all the important questions answered, it picks up fast and then vocab starts to stick like glue.

3. That whole thing about knowing vs understanding grammar seems kind of irrelevant to me.

FFXIV Character

1. Actually, no that is not what I am saying. I am saying that you need both, textbook and practise, to have a robust understanding of the language. Either taken independently is one part of the whole, not the whole itself.

2. Again, speaking is significantly different from writing. Oral proficiency does not equate with written proficiency. Learning dialogue is not the same as learning prose. Moreover, it is easier to recognize a kanji than reproduce it.

From as far as I can tell, she did have some grammatical knowledge and vocab however it was basic though enough that it was more than use newcomers, only during her second semester did she join the rest of the class (Japanese is two semesters long for us).

Also, if you are looking up grammar, besides getting it explained to you from a speaker, it means you are looking at reference material which presences the knowledge in much the same way a textbook does. However, just because you can recognize that "-て下さい" means "Please do *verb*", does not mean you could necessarily be able to replicate that conjugation pattern with all verbs. Though a good textbook or reference material will show you how.

3. It is quiet relevant if you ever get into a classroom setting, especially considering the methodologies used to teach language to adults. The approach is different than that to children.

Also, knowing the difference between an intransitive and transitive verb can make your life easier in most languages (another example of understanding grammar than merely knowing/recognizing it). In Japanese it means knowing which particles to use. In languages that decline their nouns such as Ancient Greek does, it means knowing which declension for the object. By knowing the syntax and how it functions, it gives you the ability to play with the language.

As far as I'm concerned this conversation is going absolutely nowhere.

今日は!みなさん
    日本語を勉強してるから嬉しいですが
    このケンカ意味がなくて馬鹿馬鹿しいですよ。子供の時あんたたちの頭うったですか?話す事は大切な事ですよ!書けないと言っても喋られないわけではないよ。教科書要らないと思います。日本語を話せるだけだったら大 丈夫ですよ。
    Last edited by フランズ; 02-13-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Well said...if I read it right. >_>

あ 野生のフランズさんがあらわれた。

ところで、俺は母さんに、俺はマジで落とされたって言われた。
    だから、俺の言うことはときどきおかしいかもしれない。だからといって、俺をいじめるな。
    でも、俺はこいつが本物かどうか知るためだけにこの無意味なケンカを始めた。

それはそうと、俺らは勉強したほうがいいんじゃないか? もし誰か質問があるなら、俺たちに聞ける。その時まで、俺たちは会話ができる。

brandless goodsさん、最初の文は超変でした。何と言いたいのですか?誰が日本語をおしえてあげたの?

ちがうよ。

俺の最初の文はgame boy版のポケモンで出て来る言葉。バトルの初めに「やせいのなになにがあらわれた」はいつも書いてある。あと、フランズはポケモンのようにここにあらわれたから俺は言った。フランズさんはポケモンのゲームをやっ たほうがいいと思う。

てゆか、「誰が日本語をおしえて あげたの?」は「誰が日本語をおしえてくれた の?」になるはずだ!。そして誰にも教わってない!俺の日本語は完璧だべ!もう・・・ 

FFXIV Character

Actually he was using the right one.

-てくれる implies that the speaker is the one who is given the favour of (verb).

If フランズ used 教えてくれた then he'd be asking who taught him Japanese not who taught you (Brandless Goods) Japanese.
    Last edited by The Summoner of Leviathan; 02-14-2009 at 08:08 PM.

違う、その文を話てなかったよ、この文は変だと思います。「俺は母さんに、俺はマジで落とされたって言われた」
    それの方がいいですよ。「子供のころ、お母さんに落とされたってきた。」

そして「誰にも教わってない」と言う意味はnot taught to anybody, i think you should say 「誰にも教えてない」
    brandless goods, i think you very good japanese speaker i can understand what you trying to say.

それは面白い冗談 笑 「野生のフランズ」か
    Last edited by フランズ; 02-15-2009 at 09:20 AM.

「誰が日本語をおしえて あげたの」 あげる is always means whatever is being given is coming from the speaker. He has to say くれる to say "who told you Japanese」 Come on. You think I don't know what I'm talking about here?

「そして誰にも教わってない」 means I wasn't taught from anybody.
    「誰にも教えてない」 means I didn't tell anybody. So I didn't make a mistake. I said exactly what I meant to.

「ところで、俺は母さんに、俺はマジで落とされたって言われた」 means speaking of that, I was told by my mom that I really was dropped when I was a child.
    「子供のころ、お母さんに落とされたってきた」 means when I was a kid I came and was dropped by my Mom. Doesn't exactly make sense.

Nice try anyway, guys.

FFXIV Character

Lol, I looked up in my old textbook. Both あげる and くれる are valid. There is only a difference is that if フランズ used くれる it would have implied an identification with Brandless Goods. By using あげる it implied a neutrality or an identification with the giver.

間違えた。
    「誰も教えてない」
    「子供のころ、お母さんに落とされたって聞いた」
    ギャハハハハ!!!
    二人とも間違った!違う方法で同じこと言ってた。

I'm going to jump in with Levian here and say that a basis with a good textbook and classroom education is a HUGE advantage. That's not to say you can't learn a language by diving in - as a matter of fact, that really helps too. (Of course, I'm talking about living in Japan here, none of this "I'm learning from manga" crap - that's what I think that is, crap) When I read something with 俺は in every sentence, it hurts me. A) It doesn't need to be repeated, and B) In the absence of "pleasant company" it reads to me as more rude than anything.

I'm saying this because I live in Japan right now and my speaking has improved by leaps and bounds. So has my writing, but that's because I'm still taking classes, with teachers and textbooks. Without that I still wouldn't understand the backgrounds on a good half of the things I am able to say. And I still suck at Japanese.