Thread: My only friend, the end (spoilers)

Default My only friend, the end (spoilers)

i just finished this game for the first time (i know, bit slow off the mark ) and i must say i am a tad confused...

i was semi-satisfied with the ending, but i have a few questions:
    1. What happened to Kuja and how did Zidane actually escape? (i'm guessing the answers to this will be 'he died' and 'we never find out')
    2. Eiko...mother and father? presumptuous much? what if those two don't want a bratty little kid who is very capable of killing them both when she doesn't get her own way? (this wasn't really one of my questions...it was just a bit weird)
    3. Wtf is with those Vivi things?! "Vivi is our father"?!
    4. Where did Vivi come from? Was he created like he always suspected?
    5. What was the significance of the necklace that Garnet dropped (i realize the symbolism in the fact that she chose Zidane over this, which is clearly very important to her, but i forget what it actually is, could you remind me?)?

and just a side-comment, even though i knew the cloaked man (in the play) was Zidane all along, i got goosebumps when he whipped off his disguise...i have no idea why, but i feel like a loser it's a very nerdy thing to experience, especially seeing as i wasn't as emotionally attached to this game as the other final fantasies

one of the things i didn't like about the story was all the people who looked like Zidane...especially seeing as there were girls who looked exactly like him, but still looked very womanly (meaning Zidane looks kinda like a chick ). in saying this, however, i would like to acknowledge the fact that Kuja also looks kind of like a girl, but he is captivating...especially in Dissidia form, he looks smurfing awesome

i'm sure there are more things i need to say, but this is all i can think of for now
    Last edited by .:kerrod:.; 12-08-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by .:kerrod:. View Post
    i just finished this game for the first time (i know, bit slow off the mark ) and i must say i am a tad confused...

Its been awhile since I finished this game myself, I've been meaning to start anew playthrough for quite some time now. I'll do my best to answer your questions though.

1. What happened to Kuja and how did Zidane actually escape? (i'm guessing the answers to this will be 'he died' and 'we never find out')
    You pretty much guessed this one.

2. Eiko...mother and father? presumptuous much? what if those two don't want a bratty little kid who is very capable of killing them both when she doesn't get her own way? (this wasn't really one of my questions...it was just a bit weird)
    It is weird but someone needs to take care of her and god knows Cid can't womanize if he has to play "daddy".

Exactly what was stated, they are Vivi's "children".

Though it was never stated, we can pretty much assume that they were created through the same process that Vivi and the other black mages were created. Vivi, is correct about his origin but learned that it didn't matter, he found meaning in his life helping his brethren. Also, the game hints that Vivi passed away sometime between Zidane leaving to save Kuja and the play in Alexandria. Its a shame too since Vivi is like the most awesome FF character ever.

5. What was the significance of the necklace that Garnet dropped (i realize the symbolism in the fact that she chose Zidane over this, which is clearly very important to her, but i forget what it actually is, could you remind me?)?
    I'm a bit fuzzy on this but I believe the necklace belonged to Garnet's real mother and was given to her as a baby. I also remembered that is once held a fourth of the Crystal that Kuja destroys in the ending. Someone will come along and clarify though.

and just a side-comment, even though i knew the cloaked man (in the play) was Zidane all along, i got goosebumps when he whipped off his disguise...i have no idea why, but i feel like a loser it's a very nerdy thing to experience, especially seeing as i wasn't as emotionally attached to this game as the other final fantasies
    Glad it stirred some emotion but I'm kinda sad to hear you weren't as emotionally attached.

one of the things i didn't like about the story was all the people who looked like Zidane...especially seeing as there were girls who looked exactly like him, but still looked very womanly (meaning Zidane looks kinda like a chick ). in saying this, however, i would like to acknowledge the fact that Kuja also looks kind of like a girl, but he is captivating...especially in Dissidia form, he looks smurfing awesome
    My only issue with this plot twist is that its a blatant copy of Vivi's story and I generally felt Vivi's was dealt with better. Beyond that, it makes sense that they all look the same cause they are all clones. They are supposed to be empty vessels for the souls of Terra that slept. If you look closely, even Kuja and Zidane bear a striking resemblance though it seems Kuja went to great lengths to individualize himself from the other clones.

I hope this helped somewhat. I'm certain Vivisteiner or Depression Moon will pop up and explain better than me though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by .:kerrod:. View Post

Kuja died of course as stated by Mikoto and Zidane escaped because of strong willed heart and his determination to see his loved one again. Kuja could not have survived as he contains no such feelings.

Well I guess as from what I see Eiko desires parents ever since her grandfather died and I guess that Cid and Hilda always wanted children, but Hilda couldn't produce them, for contradiction I would say it's because Hilda got mad at him and left, but with Cid being probably in his late 40's and 50's he probably had plenty opportunity to get her pregnant and he was probably an oglop for a few months before the party met him so I'm sticking with what I said originally.
    yes I believe that Vivi found a way to create more black mages with the remaining mist on the planet and he decided to leave his mark with these mages as he knew he didn't have much longer to live.
    It was hinted at in the story a few times that Vivi was created all like the rest. The leader of black mage village told him that Kuja made a prototype mage that would last a little longer than the manufactured ones.
    The necklace was the pendant given to her by her adoptive mother Brahne, it's the heirloomof Alexandria and it's also one of the four pieces that when put together summons Alexander.

i'm sure there are more things i need to say, but this is all i can think of for now
    Actually I did mistake Zidane for a girl the first time I saw him too and named him Tisha and then had to start over again when I came to the part where he said "I'm starting to fall for you" to Garnet. Everyone agrees that Kuja looks like a girl, heck he's even made fun of in the game. IX has the best ending in the entire series.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 12-09-2008 at 03:20 AM.

4 pieces to summon Alexander? Where are the other 3? I think Cid's pendant, and maybe Eiko had one? But I'm not sure, and I don't know where part 4 would come from.

They were auditioning for Star Wars Ep. V

See... when a mommy and daddy love each other a REAL LOT...

one of the things i didn't like about the story was all the people who looked like Zidane...especially seeing as there were girls who looked exactly like him, but still looked very womanly (meaning Zidane looks kinda like a chick )
    (SPOILER)Zidane is a chick

@FFIX Choco boy: You're giving me horrible flashbacks of one of the most embarassing moments in my life...

Garnet's pendant - FF-XIII.net

Good answers, guys.

About Vivi, I like Squall of Seed's explanation.

Final Fantasy IX FAQs, Walkthroughs, and Guides for PlayStation - GameFAQs

Read the plot analysis on that page. You may not agree with everything, but its pretty interesting nevertheless.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by FFIX Choco Boy View Post
    4 pieces to summon Alexander? Where are the other 3? I think Cid's pendant, and maybe Eiko had one? But I'm not sure, and I don't know where part 4 would come from.
    The fourth one was a jewel to control the sandstorms in Cleyra and to Vivisteiner, for shame you had to give him a link on the ending. Can you not remember what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

Though it was never stated, we can pretty much assume that they were created through the same process that Vivi and the other black mages were created. Vivi, is correct about his origin but learned that it didn't matter, he found meaning in his life helping his brethren. Also, the game hints that Vivi passed away sometime between Zidane leaving to save Kuja and the play in Alexandria. Its a shame too since Vivi is like the most awesome FF character ever.

My only issue with this plot twist is that its a blatant copy of Vivi's story and I generally felt Vivi's was dealt with better. Beyond that, it makes sense that they all look the same cause they are all clones. They are supposed to be empty vessels for the souls of Terra that slept. If you look closely, even Kuja and Zidane bear a striking resemblance though it seems Kuja went to great lengths to individualize himself from the other clones.

I hope this helped somewhat. I'm certain Vivisteiner or Depression Moon will pop up and explain better than me though.
    Vivi died? that's a bit sad...but he kind of annoyed me because he was such a pussy (meaning, he was a wuss, or coward, etc.)...he was one of the best characters, but i just got sick of his 'i can't do it, what if something bad happens? blah blah blah cry cry cry', which is the only thing that turns me off the character...

and i agree with the plot thing, they must have been short on ideas or maybe they wanted to create a connection between Zidane and Vivi so that they understand each other more....or something....*cough*

and Kuja's "great lengths" were worth it, he looks cool...i used to detest him because he was womanly (before i played FFIX), but now i think he looks great (as i've mentioned )

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    yes I believe that Vivi found a way to create more black mages with the remaining mist on the planet and he decided to leave his mark with these mages as he knew he didn't have much longer to live.

Actually I did mistake Zidane for a girl the first time I saw him too and named him Tisha and then had to start over again when I came to the part where he said "I'm starting to fall for you" to Garnet. Everyone agrees that Kuja looks like a girl, heck he's even made fun of in the game. IX has the best ending in the entire series.
    ah, he CREATED the other black mages...i was thinking "but who would have birthed them?!"

and that thing about naming Zidane Tisha is one of the funniest things i have heard

Quote Originally Posted by sdm42393 View Post
    They were auditioning for Star Wars Ep. V

See... when a mommy and daddy love each other a REAL LOT...

one of the things i didn't like about the story was all the people who looked like Zidane...especially seeing as there were girls who looked exactly like him, but still looked very womanly (meaning Zidane looks kinda like a chick )
    (SPOILER)Zidane is a chick
    thanks for this, sdm, everybody else was giving stupid answers, but you really cleared a few things up for me :rolleyes2

Lastly, Vivisteiner and Depression Moon...do you know where Dies Irae got those great quality pictures of Ultimicia (from the other forum: Garnet's pendant - FF-XIII.net)? i would like to get a similar quality picture of Kuja from that cutscene

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

You think Vivi was a coward? He's about as far from one as you can get.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    He's about as far from one as you can get.
    I know, he faces a good portion of the game staring death in the face, fully aware he can just "stop" at any time. Most others under that pressure would snap.

ok, ok...i didn't mean a 'coward'...ugh, i dunno, it's hard to explain

and still asking :
    Lastly, Vivisteiner and Depression Moon...do you know where Dies Irae got those great quality pictures of Ultimicia (from the other forum: Garnet's pendant - FF-XIII.net)? i would like to get a similar quality picture of Kuja from that cutscene

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought Kuja used the last of his magic to transport Zidane to safety? Did I make that up?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Yep, because the vine thingies attacked both of them if you're referring to how the party got out of Memoria, Necron did that.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I refuse to believe your lies.