Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain Of Memories

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by sdm42393 View Post
    Donald and Goofy both suck equally in the game. Donald dies in seconds and Goofy runs around like a retard.
    My feeling has always been that Donald and Goofy are only good for being meatshields for Sora. I adore both as characters but I grew up with the classic Disney shows. As player characters, Goofy was more useful in KH1 cause he had that ability to give Sora his MP that was just lying around and collecting dust (Excellent for the two optional non-arena bosses ) while Donald is better in KH2 despite being super retarded about healing, mostly cause KH2 made magic useful. Both are easily chumped in KH:CoM by King Mickey and their only uses is for the Trinity Limit ability Sleight.

Goofy wasnt TOO bad, MP Gift in KH1 was always nice and his Limit in KH2 is cheap as hell against some bosses (used it against demyx once on proud mode, he lost 4 bars in seconds....jesus)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    mostly cause KH2 made magic useful.
    Huh, I thought quite the opposite. With the exception of cure (and possibly reflect for some battles) I found magic useless. Magic was actually required in the first game whereas in Kingdom Hearts 2 it's just an alternative to spamming the X Button.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's a shame they didn't package this with Final Mix for whatever reason. It would clear up the misconceptions that this game requires no strategy rather quickly.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the whereabouts of the KHII FM cards for Re:CoM? They were supposed to be available if you had a clear FM save on your memory card, but since the English version doesn't have FM I wonder if they're still in the game.

Huh, I thought quite the opposite. With the exception of cure (and possibly reflect for some battles) I found magic useless. Magic was actually required in the first game whereas in Kingdom Hearts 2 it's just an alternative to spamming the X Button.
    I feel the same way. I just use all of their AP on pumping up Sora's attack, Goofy's defense, and Donald's magic. Then I generally let the others do what they want while I kick some ass with my friend adrenaline.

I haven't die once yet. XP
    Wherever Light is, Shadow Will Follow.

[A Shadow Hearts/Final Fantasy VII Crossover]

[Thanks Frequency NecroKat!]

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I found that magic was far more powerful in terms of damage and Reflect and Magnet were incredibly useful spells for defense and crowd control. Course magic's usefulness doesn't really shine until you play through the Hades Paradox Cup where Sora takes insane levels of damage despite his defense and armor rating...

Just the fact that they do damage and Fire's new spell effect, made magic far more useful. Bandits and Fat Heartless were much easier to kill in KH2. I think KH2's problem and strength was that unlike KH1, it never really forced you to use magic. So most players never saw its usefulness. I didn't until my second playthrough of KH2. In fact, magic in KH2 to me at least was designed more as secondary defense and complimentary towards the revamped battle system. The spells seem more like defense and set-up maneuvers to go into flashy combos as opposed to another form of straight up attacking opponents.

To be honest, I felt KH2 took great strides in refining and expanding the combat system in all its forms.

♥ Italian Princess ♥ *~Angel Wing~*'s Avatar
    Donald and Goofy both suck equally in the game. Donald dies in seconds and Goofy runs around like a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno
    My feeling has always been that Donald and Goofy are only good for being meatshields for Sora. I adore both as characters but I grew up with the classic Disney shows. As player characters, Goofy was more useful in KH1 cause he had that ability to give Sora his MP that was just lying around and collecting dust (Excellent for the two optional non-arena bosses ) while Donald is better in KH2 despite being super retarded about healing, mostly cause KH2 made magic useful. Both are easily chumped in KH:CoM by King Mickey and their only uses is for the Trinity Limit ability Sleight.
    Quote Originally Posted by neokeymaster View Post
    Goofy wasnt TOO bad, MP Gift in KH1 was always nice and his Limit in KH2 is cheap as hell against some bosses (used it against demyx once on proud mode, he lost 4 bars in seconds....jesus)
    Through my personal experiences Goofy has been a total waste in battle. In KH1 I would always set Donald and Goofy to use items on everyone. I can seriously remember only 1 or 2 times at the most that Goofy ever used an item on anyone besides himself. Even if Donald was dead and I was low on HP he would still only heal himself. Selfish bastard... To me Goofy sucked and I would always switch him out for another Disney character whenever I was able to, and the other character would heal me! (Jack Skellington was always great! ) On the other hand, Donald would always heal Sora even if he had less HP. Donald was extremely useful to me especially in tougher boss battles and the Olympus Coliseum Cup challenges. I admit he might have died a little easier than Goofy, but him constantly healing Sora made up for it A LOT more. But I never relied on them for fighting in KH1 anyway cuz they really couldn't do much; their main purpose to me was healing. Their Limit Breaks in KH2 were really good though.

Another reason why I hate Goofy is in the KH2 Pirates Of The Caribbean World we were fighting Heartless/Nobodies on the ship that was taking us to another area, and I was really low on HP and was waiting for my magic to come back. (something I found very annoying ) So Donald and I hid behind some barrels so my MP bar would go down and then some Heartless/Nobodies appeared a little further away. Luckily they didn't see us at first and my magic was almost back, when all of a sudden Goofy jumps out of nowhere yelling like a dumbass and gave us away! I thought it was like a glitch or something...lol it's funny now but I was really pissed because so many of them come when you're on that boat and I was almost done! I also wanted to get that world over with quickly because I'm not a big POTC fan.

*~Love is the best feeling in the world~*

I like playing Space Paranoids, myself. Then you get to use Tron, who kicks some mircochip booty, man. And his limit break ROCKS. I only wish that I didn't have to fight along side Mulan or Cpt. Jack or .... anyone else. Just having Tron by my side constantly would keep me happy.

Getting back on topic, I've actually never played CoM. What's the game play like? Can you guys describe it?

♥ Italian Princess ♥ *~Angel Wing~*'s Avatar

Moogle

Yeah I rarely ever used magic in KH2. That fcukin MP bar was sooo annoying, I hated it!
    They should have just left it the way it was...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    It's a shame they didn't package this with Final Mix for whatever reason. It would clear up the misconceptions that this game requires no strategy rather quickly.
    Yeah, hopefully they will release the Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 Final Mixes in the near future. I mean it can't be that hard to do considering all of the voice acting is already in English. :rolleyes2 Just throw in some English subtitles and there ya go, it's done!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormie BluJay View Post
    I like playing Space Paranoids, myself. Then you get to use Tron, who kicks some mircochip booty, man. And his limit break ROCKS. I only wish that I didn't have to fight along side Mulan or Cpt. Jack or .... anyone else. Just having Tron by my side constantly would keep me happy.

Getting back on topic, I've actually never played CoM. What's the game play like? Can you guys describe it?
    Yeah the Space Paranoids were pretty cool.

There's really only one word to describe the KH CoM gameplay: Cards.

You basically have a bunch of cards numbered 0-9 and use your attacks and magic that way. If an enemy uses a card with a higher number than you, your attack is blocked and they attack you instead and vice versa, which is known as a "card break." If you both have the same number card nobody can attack which also results in a card break.

merged -Rantz

*~Love is the best feeling in the world~*

Quote Originally Posted by *~Angel Wing~* View Post
    Yeah the Space Paranoids were pretty cool.

There's really only one word to describe the KH CoM gameplay: Cards.

You basically have a bunch of cards numbered 0-9 and use your attacks and magic that way. If an enemy uses a card with a higher number than you, your attack is blocked and they attack you instead and vice versa, which is known as a "card break." If you both have the same number card nobody can attack which also results in a card break.
    So... It's like DnD and Snap mixed into one game, huh? Sounds fun, but challenging at the same time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Speaking of which, does anyone know the whereabouts of the KHII FM cards for Re:CoM? They were supposed to be available if you had a clear FM save on your memory card, but since the English version doesn't have FM I wonder if they're still in the game.
    Beat both story modes and go to the Key to Rewards rooms in each of the worlds. You'll find KHII keyblade and OXIII cards in the rooms.
    I found Magic useless.
    Large groups of enemies, especially tough ones, are taken out much more easily by Magnet+Thunder or Magnet+Fire than keyblade combo+Explosion. By mashing attack, you're at a greater risk to be counter-attacked by the enemies than if you casted Magic from a distance. For example, Assault Riders have a chance of countering with their spinning lance attack when you go too close to them. You could mash X and hope you don't get countered, or you could just cast Blizzard or Thunder from a distance and never have to worry about getting hit by them. Magnet is extremely helpful in Paradox Cups as well, where you fight lots of large groups of tough enemies. Magic also happens to have useful effects of Port Royal zombies, Barbossa, and Grim Reaper as well.

By the way, mashing X absolutely sucks on low level challenges and Critical Mode.
    With the exception of cure (and possibly reflect for some battles)
    Reflect blocks virtually all attacks, you can mash it to block multiple hits, and it also explodes for damage. If you still think that Reflect is even somewhat useless, you should see this:
    YouTube - KH2FM Sephiroth 35sec

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

CoM was pretty neat, but the controls were way too awkward for me. This shouldn't be a problem with a PS2 controller, though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    CoM was pretty neat, but the controls were way too awkward for me. This shouldn't be a problem with a PS2 controller, though.
    I think now it's Triangle to stock cards/use sleights, so don't make the mistake of using the R1 and L1 shoulder buttons

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall banana View Post
    I'm losing interest in the Kingdom Hearts series, because it's hard to imagine any new installment topping the original game; KHII, for one, is a huge disappointment. =(
    The unfortunate flaw of KHII is its incredible ease. Additionally, due to how easy the game is, mashing X is by far the easiest way to get through the game, even if you specialize in Magic right from the beginning. Disregard shortcuts via L1.

Tragic enough that half of the upgrades for Magic are not readily obtainable, and even if they were, there's no incentive to use it without a strong Magic stat, and hard to aim. Compare this to Explosion, which offers area-of-effect, damage based on the magic stat, and knocks everything back (though for some bosses, it resets their aggression AI). Compare to Guard Break, which more or less guarantees invincibility for a second, and does far much more damage than just about anything using the Keyblade, and disables the defenses of most enemies. Combine both with Finisher Plus, and you're unstoppable. Lock-On isn't exactly the best ability that helps you hit the enemy, though it [Magic] proves superior in range and area-of-effect capabilities. Reflect is piss-poor for the first two stages; it is game-breaking in the third. Even though the recharge bar is a step up above stocked charges, it still ultimately forces you to resort to physical methods of fighting while you wait; MP Gift rectified this, and it could easily have been balanced for Goofy, and give him a reason to have a Magic stat. Then again, Firaga + Final Form is game-breaking, too.

Drives in themselves (with the exception of Wisdom) are game breakers. Sad but true, KHII is the textbook definition of X masher.