View Poll Results: Which version of FF IV did you enjoy playing the most?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • GBA version

8 16.67%
  • DS version

31 64.58%
  • None. Prefer the SNES and/or PS1 version

9 18.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GBA vs. DS version

Default GBA vs. DS version

So some of you may have played both the GBA version and DS version of FF IV. Both are the same game, but also both games have different bonuses. So my question is, which version did you enjoy playing the most? I haven't had a chance to purchase the DS version due to a tight budget, so I can't really comment on that one. But I will say that I enjoyed the GBA version alot. I liked the playing through the two bonus dungeons, love the revamped script, and I especially liked the fact that you can switch out characters at the end of the game, something I wish the DS version would've included. Hopefully within the next month, I can purchase the DS version and play through it so I can compare the two.
    Last edited by Crossblades; 12-14-2008 at 02:44 AM.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Well...

there are no extra dungeons in the DS version but two super enemies, Geryon and the Prototype Babil. But the Advance version has Zermous EG and its two dungeons...both of them are good in their own way but in my opinion the DS version is better cause seeing the characters 3D is nice, the sound is better and the enemies are stronger. Most of them are too strong like the CPU who can instantly knock your party out by using it's "laser beam" but it's quite a challenge so it's fine.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-14-2008 at 12:05 AM.

It's hard to say which one I enjoyed better, the GBA version was great with the extra features, and I also really enjoyed the DS version because of the 3D graohics and the fact that they brought back the original difficulty making the game more challenging.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

DS version is my choice, the revamped script (just slightly better than the GBA) new story sequences that fill up plot holes, better localization (Feymarsh just sounds cooler and more mystique than "Land of Summoned Beasts"). The Augment system combined with the revamping of a few character (OMG! Edge and Edward are overwhelmingly useful! :Eek made the GBA's switching party members by end game a moot point. The revamped difficulty makes the two optional dungeon from the GBA version a moot point as well. Plus, the GBA lacks the rather fun and amusing Whyt mini games that seriously break up the monotony this game has.

I also love the new feature that allows you to read your parties thoughts while in the menu screen. I felt it fleshed out the characters better and overall its a feature that should see future use in the genre.

They both have their faults. There's some glitches with the GBA one (ATB glitch, item-freezes-game glitch) and there's just some things that annoyed me with the DS version. It would have looked more visually pleasing if they didn't cram all of the less-than-stellar voice acting into the stupid card.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I actually thought the voice acting was pretty good. Considering when Rydia screams "I HATE YOU" was pretty effective. Actually, the entire script was well done on the DS. I thought the sprites were ugly, but they were just as ugly in ffiii so... i didn't care.

I haven't played the DS version yet due to a dead DS and no money, so I can only pick between the original, the PS1 port that was slow as hell, and the GBA version. I'm picking the SNES one out of nostalgia.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I felt that the Nintendo DS version of Final Fantasy IV was far more challenging than the Gameboy Advance version of Final Fantasy IV.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    I felt that the Nintendo DS version of Final Fantasy IV was far more challenging than the Gameboy Advance version of Final Fantasy IV.
    Of course it is. The counter attacks, A stronger Lugaborg, a CPU which can instantly K.O. you with the Attacker's Laser Beam, that all makes it more difficult.

I preferred the Ds version's difficulty increase and overall tweaks over the GBA end of the game stuff. Plus I was juts happy to see my favorite FF in 3D, albeit not fantastic 3D.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rase View Post
    albeit not fantastic 3D.
    There wasn't even trees in the towns!!
    Just 2d bushes!

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

i love that they took party exchange from this one, its annoying trying to come up with a party and then realising your selection sucks

DS version > all others.

As well as the obvious bonus of 3D graphics and voice acting, the difficulty is a most welcome challenge. And I can not believe how useful Edward is now. The lead character's thoughts appearing in the menu screen is a cool addition also.
    The messenger is standing at the gate
    Ready to let go
    Ready for the crush
    Too late for whispers
    Too late for the blush
    The past is mercy
    When the future is aglow

Tough call. I consider the GBA version to be the definitive version of the SNES game I played all through my childhood. The translation was the best I'd seen by far, the ability to choose your party toward the end was awesome, and the bonus content was a great addition.

While the GBA version is the definitive version of that SNES game, the DS game is almost like something new. The thought bubbles are great, the cutscenes and voice acting add a lot. Those modern touches can add more to a game than I ever thought they could. And they don't go overboard with it either, it still feels like I'm actually playing a game, rather than watching a movie that requires me to do work to keep the movie playing (I hate those "games").

But at the same time, I'm not sure if I like the translation as much as the GBA version. In the beginning I busted out laughing when Cecil was emoing about the darkness in his heart or whatever. I did it again when he got to the Rydia's village and let out that Darth Vader-esque "NOOOOOOOOOO." I don't think good translations are unintentionally supposed to make you laugh. Plus, the bonus content of the GBA version I assume will be gone (the ability to choose your own party and the bonus dungeons), and instead we get this whyt crap. I'd much prefer having more of the actual game (new dungeons) to having cutsie kiddie mini-games tacked on that just distract from the actual game. I can't fully judge the DS version yet because I'm only about half done and I'm not sure what benefit the game+ will add.

The difficulty of each game also works out to make the GBA feel definitive and the DS feel new. GBA was an easy version of the game, but since I was playing it for the billionth time and I just wanted to power through to see the new stuff, that was what I wanted. Just let me play through, I've already beaten this game a dozen times. When I did get to the new stuff, it did get more difficult.

DS, of course, is actually pretty challenging. For one thing, the frickin' eagles killed me in my first random encounter -.- (couldn't help remember the Power of Cheese thread and the joke about losing to eagles). Plus some enemies are different. Golbez has barrier change, Lugae has reversal gas, so you can't just play the same way you always played for every battle. I have no idea whether to expect certain enemies to be easy or hard anymore.

So, GBA=Final Fantasy IV as it should have been. DS= Final Fantasy IV as it would be today if made for the DS. Can't really choose which is better. Gun to my head, I guess I've have to say I'm enjoying DS more because I don't know what to expect like I did with the GBA.

Being the old school fanatic I am, I can't help but chose the SNES/GBA versions. Probably the only thing I liked about the DS version was the chance to finally hear the characters speak, but other than that It didn't really strike me as anything special. Not that I didn't like it(which I did), it's just I prefer the classic 2D feel that I grew up with as opposed to 3D graphics.

In the laughter find the answer (...Escape the abyss) Resurrect me don't forget me (...Love's dying wish)
    Stephen Robert Irwin
    1962 - Way too soon