Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: The Wheel of Time (spoilers)

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Default The Wheel of Time (spoilers)

Well I have finally finnished book 11 and was wondering, with 90% of all the strings tied up, the only exception I can think of is that Egwene is still a 'novice' in the tower, now im thinking was book 11 all a little to tidy? all of the battles were walkovers and to be honest im a little dissapointed considering the hype serounding the latest book, many people I spoke to said that it was the best book.

Thoughts?

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

*moves to lounge*

My two favorite characters would be Aviendha and Mat.
    Figaro Castle

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

By far not all strings are tied up. I can forsee A Memory of Light devoting at least 1/3 of the entire book to (SPOILER)getting Moraine Sedai out of the Tower of Genji. Additionally there is the rift in the white tower that needs to be wrapped up, as well as the developing rift in the Black tower. There is also the question of Rand's illness as stated by Sermihage, cumulating in the Last Battle itself. There is also Lan and Nynaeves journey through the borderlands to finish.

There are also questions that I want to see answered, like who killed (SPOILER)Asmodean, the allegiance of Mazrim Taim, as well as what will happen with Bridgette. Some other loose ends are what will happen with Padan Fain, and if the Prophet will resurface and be annoying again. I also want to see more of Shara, but that is probably hoping for too much.
    On that note where to start with characters.
    I love Perrin because he can talk to wolves, how awesome is that?
    I also love Moraine, and Egewene. Lanfear/Cyndane is also a very interesting character, and Bridgette is a wonderful character.
    Also I thought the Green man was cool.
    Can't wait to read this though.

Edit: So many characters are missing on your poll

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Writer's Corner
    Poetry, stories, essays, songs and music all go in here. Maybe discussion of dead tree based media goes here too. Who knows?
    Anyways, when I made the poll I only intended to put the main characters of the books in

As for Mazrim (SPOILER)at the end of book 11 he said "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" a saying only the forsaken have mentioned in previous books so im of the opinion that he is almost certainly a darkfriend.

I picked Rand. Even though Perrin and Mat are close behind.

I want to cry over the fact that some other dude is finishing the series!
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I've never read this series, but this thread has turned me off completely based on the fact that all of the characters seem to have unpronounceable names.

Min.
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserDragon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Writer's Corner
    Poetry, stories, essays, songs and music all go in here. Maybe discussion of dead tree based media goes here too. Who knows?
    I don't know why it says that since discussion of books goes in The Lounge. The Writer's Corner is for works that members write.
    Figaro Castle

I found Moiraine and several of the Forsaken more interesting than the main characters. Of the choices listed, I voted for Min and Aviendha, though if I'd thought about it longer I'd have voted for Mat and Tuon as well.

Knife of Dreams was excellent, but RJ was pretty much baiting death by wasting so many years of his life writing action-less volumes like The Path of Daggers and Crossroads of Twilight. That said it sucks he didn't live to finish the series himself, but I've been reading good reviews of the work of the guy who was chosen to finish it so hopefully it won't turn into a complete failure.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    I've never read this series, but this thread has turned me off completely based on the fact that all of the characters seem to have unpronounceable names.
    Matrim is really called matt in the books, just that Matrim is his full name, Nynaeve is pronounced Ny Neve, Egwene is pronounced Egg wayne, Aviendha = Avi end ah, Tuon = 2 on.

Your really should read the series if you like fantasy as said they are exccellent.

With reguards to haveing the book finnished off by someone else im at all worried:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel of Time wiki
    Scheduled for publication by Tor Books in Autumn 2009,[2] it is intended to conclude the series, which began in 1990 with The Eye of the World. On September 16, 2007, Robert Jordan died from amyloidosis.[3] Before his death, Jordan stated "I'm getting out notes, so if the worst actually happens, someone could finish A Memory of Light and have it end the way I want it to end." The decision to complete the book posthumously was made by his wife Harriet and Tor Books president Tom Doherty.[2] On September 27, 2007, the following was posted on Robert Jordan's official blog in regard to the future plans for the book:

[Robert Jordan] left some pretty detailed notes on what would happen. He, Harriet, and [others], all know the endings and secrets. There are both written notes and audio recordings of Jim [Robert Jordan] saying what happened. [4]

Robert Jordan repeatedly said that the main sequence would conclude with this book. He stated at a 2005 book-signing event that it was not possible for him to write two more coherent books in The Wheel of Time series, and that the twelfth book would therefore conclude the series.[5]

Brandon Sanderson has said in a December 19, 2007 interview that some parts of the book were nearly finished by Jordan, while others have only a couple of paragraphs to describe a twenty page scene. He confirmed that he has examined Jordan's outline but also commented that he has not yet had time to sift through all of Jordan's notes.[6] Through February 2008 Sanderson reread the entire series, posting his impressions of each book on his blog.[7]

It was confirmed at a panel at the 2008 World Science Fiction Convention that Jordan had completed 50,000 words of the book before he died, with the largest chunk of complete text being the prologue and the end. Whilst Sanderson is working to a target of 400,000 words by the end of December 2008[8] for the final book, Tor's editor Tom Doherty indicated the book could be closer to 600,000 words, which would necessitate the book being split into two smaller volumes. If this does happen, the volumes will be published as close together as possible. It is likely that Jordan's widow and editor, Harriet, will contribute some kind of foreword to the final volume.[9]
    Well iv got to say... close to 600,000 words lol, thats more then double over half the books and 200,000 more then The Lord of Chaos, by the sounds of it its shapeing up to be one huge mutha of a book... cant wait to get my hands on it.