Thread: Tips and Tricks

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Tips and Tricks

Post 'em if you've got 'em!

A few days ago I discovered how to /follow people even when they're invisible. I'm sorta... in love with following because I'm lazy like that, so this discovery made me super happy.

All you need to do is lock onto the person as a target, and then hit auto-run. And bam! Pseudo-following while invisible! Yay!

If y'all already knew this trick and never mentioned it, I'm gonna be mad.

Anyway, mas tips and trips por favor!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If you need spells or low level gear see if it can be bought at an NPC shop because often times it is cheaper there.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

CTRL+M = Magic list
    CTRL+J = Job ability list
    CTRL+W = Weapon skill list
    CTRL+A = Attack what you have targeted
    CTRL+L = Talk to linkshell
    CTRL+R = Reply to the tell, keep pressing to cycle through
    CTRL+T = Just brings up "/tell" in your chat, have to type name
    CTRL+V = Enter first person mode
    CTRL+H = Heal
    CTRL+N = Deselect / Exit menu

I think that's everything. A lot of people don't know these shortcuts, but they are quite handy in getting to stuff faster if you don't use many macro's. However, I highly advise the use of macros because eventually you'll want to do equipment swapping for certain spells, abilities or weapon skills.

Another thing, research on FFXIclopedia and http:///www.ffxiah.com/ on stuff that drops from enemies, and see what prices are for NPC shops and AH. Sometimes it's better to sell direct to NPC for instant gil.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post

If y'all already knew this trick and never mentioned it, I'm gonna be mad.
    Start getting angry xDDD

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

I have a tip for healers, seeing as a WHM friend of mine didn't know about it. Anyone that's ever used a controller probably knows that you can scroll through the party list by pressing up or down on the D-pad. However, what some people don't know is that if you change your keyboard to compact in your settings, you can assign keys to do this. My WHM friend said this has made healing across alliance or even in the same party a lot easier. Also, if you use <stpc> < stpc> (edit: I had to put the space to make it work) in <stpc> your healing macros instead of just <t>, you could target the mob and heal people without losing your target (useful for me on RDM) or you could keep your target on the tank and heal other people.</t></stpc></stpc>

RDM 75, PLD 65, BST 75, MNK 75, SAM 75

If you're still using "stpc" in a party situation, you need to follow updates better. "stpt" and "stal" [iirc] were introduced recently and have the function of cutting down your stpc targets to just those players in your party or alliance, respectively.

I prefer using p0 - p5 macros on WHM, personally. I don't exactly have a massive need for any other macros, except maybe Repose. RDM is a whole different ball park though, I'd imagine.

If you need spells or low level gear see if it can be bought at an NPC shop because often times it is cheaper there.
    Conversely, make sure you check the AH before buying stuff from an NPC. There's at least one case of some armour that you can save almost a massive 4 million gil by buying on the AH. That's an extreme example, sure, but it still pays to check.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

Using one macros for two different gear changes. For example:

/equip body "Haubergeon"
    /equip body "Earth doublet"
    /equip ring1 "Unyeilding ring"
    /equip ring1 "Smiloden Ring +1"

Let's say you have Haubergeon and Unyeilding ring equiped, by using all of the above commands in one macro you can swap these to Earth doublet and Smiloden Ring +1. Then once you realised you made this terrible mistake, you can swap them back again using the same macro.
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I used to always take advantage of this when I played. I would buy low level black and white spells from the shops and put them up on the AH and make 2-3 times the cost in revenue.

So, yeah, I guess that's a tip if it still works and people don't know about it. *shrug*
    Figaro Castle

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to post this , but I figured since you're already talking about FF XI you would be kind enough to help me...
    I have never been a MMORPG fan , and never played any game of that genre. So I was pretty disappointed when XI came out. Anyway , to cut to the chase...Yesterday , I was passing by the local game shop and saw that they are selling XI at a ridiculous price - about 5$. Since I only recently got a flat rate internet I figured I'd give it a try. ...but only because it has FF in its name.

So , I wanted to ask you if a 2mbit connection is enough to play a MMORPG or is it too weak? Should I forget about it , concentrate on single-play RPG's and let someone else buy it?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think it will be enough, but keep in mind that you will have to pay a monthly fee if you want to play.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator

The only requirement to play Final Fantasy XI is a connection speed equal to or faster than dial-up. If your connection speed is faster than that, you are fine and have nothing to worry about.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Ok , thank you all

I dunno, if you're not counting updates, then dial-up is plenty fast enough.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

56k is the recommended minimum internet connection speed.
    Figaro Castle

Yes, we just established that, Mullet. But good luck downloading all those updates on a 56k connection.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."