Thread: Adapted

Default Adapted

I'm bored and in the mood to make a stupid thread.

Entertainment is adapted into another form all the time. Is there anything you'd like to see this happen to? Or, if you prefer, something that should never be adapted into another medium.

I may be torn apart for this, but I'd like to see Harry Potter turned into a TV series. I'm not talking Harry and his crew themselves, but the ongoing story of some other students at the school. There's got to be an interesting Hufflepuff somewhere.

As for no thanks, I don't think The Catcher in the Rye should be a movie. I love the book and it could be awesome, but I feel they would smurf it up royally. I am negative that way.

I'm all for seconding <i>The Catcher in the Rye</i> not being a movie, but only because I really hated that book.

I kind of would love <i>Court Duel</i> by Sherwood Smith to be turned into a movie in a similar style to the Kirsten Dunst <i>Marie Antoinette</i>, but that's probably never going to happen as the fan base is much smaller than what I think it should be.

As incredibly odd as this may sound, I'd love to see more text adventures based off novels like Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide text adventure. Not that I've ever gotten very far, but it's good fun.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Lord of the Rings should not have been films. They should have been one of those BBC things in multiple hour long parts over a week or so.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    As for no thanks, I don't think The Catcher in the Rye should be a movie. I love the book and it could be awesome, but I feel they would smurf it up royally. I am negative that way.
    This would be the worst thing to ever happen to anything ever. Who could they even cast as Holden? That's right, nooooo one.

I think Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress should be a movie, if it isn't already (which it probably is).

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    Lord of the Rings should not have been films. They should have been one of those BBC things in multiple hour long parts over a week or so.
    But Ian would never agree to such a thing, and I need him as Gandalf. No, berry, I need him as Gandalf, or I'd fall over and convulse! Aww, let's hug anyway. <3

Another one I'd like to see is a musical using nothing but songs from Green Day's American Idiot. I really like that album, and it does aim to be that whole rock opera thing already :aimblush:

Edit: And Zelda shouldn't be a movie.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 12-22-2008 at 11:54 PM.

Have you ever seen Adaptation? It's very self-referential.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaridovich View Post
    Have you ever seen Adaptation? It's very self-referential.
    I was just about to suggest this. An awesome film, imo.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Dungeons & Dragons the movie should have been adapted into a physical torture device.

Off-topic?

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    But Ian would never agree to such a thing, and I need him as Gandalf. No, berry, I need him as Gandalf, or I'd fall over and convulse! Aww, let's hug anyway. <3

Yeah this is the problem, the great actors wouldn't do it Oh well

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Adaptions of things seems to be the way to go, other than remaking Asian films. When a trademark has established a large/growing fanbase, adaptions exist to cash in on the demand while it is there.

That said, I don't like adaptions when the adaption itself is bad. For example, I hated the Spawn movie adaption even though I am a big fan of the comics. I loved 300 and Sin City. Batman is very hit and miss but I am enjoying the Nolan interpretation. Superman has never been a good movie for me -- I'm honestly not sure why I even like the character.

Book to movies is very enjoyable to me because I hate reading fiction books. I have read HP 5 and up but I always watch the movies without any idea what the book plot was even about (I forget). Lord of the Rings, even though it is a very concise adaption of the book's plot, is enjoyable to me, since I cannot stand Tolkien's style.

I am looking forward to World War Z (Film) as I am a huge fan of the book. I expect Left 4 Dead (game) to be made into a movie with a more realistic portrayal than the game mechanics. If either films (if either end up getting made, anyway) end up to be flops I will be very disappointed.

The general point is this: I don't mind adaptions but I expect them to be as good as or exceeding my opinion of the original media. I realize on some level this is not possible as my opinion of the original media is subjective, and the movie/tv series/whatever was not made for me, but meh, that's who has to watch it.

When it comes to adaptions, I only have a problem when studios take a cartoon or anime and turn it in to a live action film. I just can't take those movies seriously.

Dragonball, Cowboy Bebop, Avatar (Written & Directed by M. Night Shamalyn). I fail to see how anyone in Hollywood thought this would be a good idea. Waiting for the live action Pokemon movie. You know its coming soon.

Besides that... I kind of like most comic book movies. Seeing a live action version of Spawn was enough for me to overlook the awful movie he was in. The clown ruined the film.

Video game adaptions tend to suck. As do game adaptions of movies. And remakes tend to be worse than the original but besides that, I'm not to hard to please.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfApples View Post
    When it comes to adaptions, I only have a problem when studios take a cartoon or anime and turn it in to a live action film. I just can't take those movies seriously.
    101 Dalmations adapted to live action with Hugh Laurie and Glenn Close = awesome.

Blog Entries

I dislike American adaptions and remakes of perfectly good series or movies from other countries. I really dont see the point especailly if it was an english speaking production in the first place.

I think there should be more shakespeare movies though or atleast do some well. I really cant be arsed reading a play. They were written to be seen not to be read.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pureghetto View Post
    I expect Left 4 Dead (game) to be made into a movie with a more realistic portrayal than the game mechanics. If either films (if either end up getting made, anyway) end up to be flops I will be very disappointed.
    I hope this doesn't happen, because I love that game.