Thread: The battle system!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The battle system!

Square Enix: Final Fantasy XIII's Battle System Detailed

Okay, so as far as I can see you'll be able to take any action you can afford, rather than getting one action per full ATB.

Now, this thing about having five possible actions - is this going to be like FFVIII, where you can't use a potion unless you're junctioned for items? Because that was the worst thing about that entire game. Or is it the cast that there are simply never more than five possible actions you can take? And if so, does this change for each character?

Let's speculate baselessly

Oh God , please let it turn out to be good

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Sounds like a really good battle system. You can't endlessly attack but you can perform endless actions until you get 'tired'. You can also then sit back and just build up the bar so that in a tough jam you can dispense everything to save the rest.

I really like the way this system sounds a lot. This gives me hope for the game.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

This looks really fun o:

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The system sounds like the way I imagined and its been a system I've waited for since Xenogears. I just hope it doesn't pull a FFX and make the enemies and bosses so pathetically weak that battles can be ended in a single round. That was so infuriating in X and destroyed the potential that battle system had.

Its interesting that you can switch between characters in the middle actions to create group combos. It makes me wonder if the "Time/gravity" ability is unique to Lightning only... The combat system sounds marvelous just don't screw it up SE

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    Sounds like a really good battle system. You can't endlessly attack but you can perform endless actions until you get 'tired'. You can also then sit back and just build up the bar so that in a tough jam you can dispense everything to save the rest.

I really like the way this system sounds a lot. This gives me hope for the game.
    This was my thinking, really. It adds a new layer of tactical consideration, because you'll be deciding whether you just spam attacks when you can, or save up for more powerful stuff (Which is the logical way it'd work).

On a related note I'm optimistic because VII and X are my faves. XIII is next in this progression

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really dig the new ATB bar. =O

Looks like more fun than a Slip n' Slide!

Something I don't say lightly.

Did SE develop something like gambit system or will the other characters give support in battle on their own?

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really like the looks of it. It's an interesting twist on the concept of the ATB.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    The system sounds like the way I imagined and its been a system I've waited for since Xenogears. I just hope it doesn't pull a FFX and make the enemies and bosses so pathetically weak that battles can be ended in a single round. That was so infuriating in X and destroyed the potential that battle system had.
    Jzeez, bro. You think too cynical at times, and really need to tone down with the needless FFX flaming. I mean, it's common knowledge that you despise the game, but do you really need to mention it in every thread?
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sorry, I replayed it a few months ago to help my GF. The game just infuriates me to no end even thought months have passed and listening to people talk how much FF should always be like X gets annoying...

I will try my best to tone it down though; cause even I'm noticing how annoying I am.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Sorry, I replayed it a few months ago to help my GF. The game just infuriates me to no end even thought months have passed and listening to people talk how much FF should always be like X gets annoying...

I will try my best to tone it down though; cause even I'm noticing how annoying I am.
    Meh, I do adore X but I can't argue that it's incredibly easy outside of one or two bosses. Then again, how many RPGs aren't like that?

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Under the "Action" thing, the five options from top-bottom, left-right are (question marks mean my speculation of their meaning):

Attack (たたかう)
    Fire? (ファイア)
    Care/Cure? (ケアル)
    ??? (うちあけ)*
    Firaga? (ファイカ/ファイガ)

*From my search うちあけ comes from the verb うちあける which means "to speak frankly", "to open one's heart, or "to speak one's mind". (Source: WWWJDIC)