Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High School Rules

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default High School Rules

I started college a couple of weeks ago and I'm starting to see the difference between college and high school. One thing I definitely notice is that everything is a little more laid back there. I remember when people used to preach to me that the rules that the principal made in high school is necessary and it will benefit us. From what I see in college basically the rules are show up for class and don't cheat.

In high school they had ridiculous things like a dress code, no hats, and no food or drinks. You also got penalized for coming in late and they would hassle you became absent and failed to bring in a note. They penalized you for that stuff, but in college they don't really care if you come in late, or if you're absent. You just have to make up the stuff you miss on your own. Nor do they care about you wearing a hat, dress like a hooker, or listening to headphones while they're teaching. What I'm also a bit surprised is is that no one rarely talks are participates in anything either in college. Everybody's just quiet. Well I guess I prefer that than the immature students and fights breaking out every week. So far I haven't got any assignments yet. What do you guys think about your experience from high school to college?
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 01-15-2009 at 08:38 PM.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I am not in college, but highschool sucks.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

High school sucked. College is infinitely better.

They penalized you for that stuff, but in college they don't really care if you come in late, or if you're absent.
    Some classes have "mandatory" attendance that counts as a certain point total towards your final grade. Not all classes, like in high school, but the reasons for that are numerous and understandable. I'm not entirely too sure on the details, but I believe high schools get paid a certain sum every year based on the number of students that actively attend classes. That's how it was in my school district in California and Nevada, anyway.

I wouldn't say high school sucked outright. It wasn't that great or fun, but it wasn't too bad.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like college because [generally] having unmotivated people in class with me doesn't slow down the pace of lecture.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My college cares if you're absent. If you miss too many classes you'll be failed. No if, ands, or buts. But I like it that way, because it separates the people who are serious and those who are not.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, nearly every class I have is very into mandatory attendance in college.

I didn't hate High School as much as I hate people in my town. I know it sounds cliche, but they're really something bizarre about people born and raised in small towns where their fathers' fathers have been born. At least, in this area.

Mostly what I like about college is that you're rewarded on your grades and work, and aren't differentiated by how much you suck, for the most part.
    Last edited by Rye; 01-14-2009 at 10:39 PM.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

My High School experience wasn't terrible. While we had the slew of idiots who held everything up, it was much more amusing, watching from Freshman year as our antics went from what you might normally expect from a High School student to Senior year, when it just plain got bizarre (and a little homo thrown in, too).

College is much better, but I find myself walking home perturbed more often than I would like. Professors don't wait for students that cause trouble, and it is so awesome, not that many students in my classes really cause trouble. Then again, dealing with early-teenage students requires a much different approach compared to those around the age of 20.

But the line between good teachers and bad teachers is so much clearer now, because it affects your grade more than your effort.

I'm not in college yet (and now I'm looking at it as a way to get the hell out of here), but I liked high-school. Unlike most people's teachers from what I hear, my teachers were actually fairly level-headed and competent. Well, except for the one Superchristian teacher I had who always used homophobic remarks. Oh, THAT was fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

oh I wasn't saying that attendance wasn't mandatory I was just saying that they won't be breathing down your neck for missing two days, unless you go to a college that has a short semester that's basically like a month and a half. I'm glad I got out of that hell hole. My senior year wasn't that bad, but every year before it challenged my sanity.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I like high school, I'll be sad to leave when I graduate this spring

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hahah, Yars, I had a Health teacher like that. He was one of the least progressive people I know. Homophobic, charged of attacking his wife, mean, condescending...

I hated him. He was extremely rude to his students. Since he was the captain of the football team, he'd automatically pass anyone on his team. During practices he'd call his players faggots and stuff.

He's even mean to the special ed children, makes fun of them too, subtly. I'm very glad my brother got the other Health teacher, because he has really severe Asperger's and speech problems, and I feel like the teacher would have ripped him to shreds.

Frightens me to know the type of people who are hired.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I like high school, I'll be sad to leave when I graduate this spring
    ...What?!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Hahaha, my health teacher was awesome. Half the time we just watched football movies (we watched Rudy and Radio like six times) or videos of the school's football team playing, and the other half we "worked." During the work part I just slept then turned in a paper with numbers but no answers on it. I got a 100 in that class.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Freshmen year was awesome, especially since I had a few classes with upperclassmen and a few with my peers. The pranks you pull defines your Freshman year, like when my friend got chained to a chair in Art Class and a few people had to saw him out before the substitute teacher saw. Or drawing large throbbing dongs all over my friend's planner while he was giving a speech and even squirting tank loads of hand lotion into someone's shoes during Gym class and throwing them in the trash can. My Freshman year was brilliant. Brilliant.

Now I have somewhat OK Sophomore year. :P
    placeholder_text.jpeg