Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Battlestar Galactica - !!Spoilers!!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I agree that the ending was cheesy as hell and I didn't like it. Also not enough stuff was answered. So was Kara an angel? Seems kind of dumb.

The best part were the Caprica/Baltar interactions. I knew those two would end up together and I really liked how they integrated the opera house vision into the final battle.

All in all I was disappointed but this show set itself up for expectations that really couldn't be met. The finale didn't feel like the rest of the show and that sucked. And the end where this turned out to be our civilization was lol.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Man that episode was weird. Half of it was amazing touching genius that got me all choked up, a third of it was seriously badass action and tension, and the remaining portion was just wrong.

I don't know what the smurf with that abandoning all their resources idea. I don't even know what the smurf. Seriously? I mean, seriously? Sure, Baltar might know about farming, but the guys on the Tylium ship probably don't. What skills do the marines have except being marines? I'm sure they're going to regret that decision when Cottle runs out of medication instead of using the resources of this vast new world to make more of it.

I suppose that does account for how 38,000 people with that level of expertize and knowledge took 150,000 years to rebuild civilization; they didn't have any such expertize and knowledge and 37,500 of them died within a couple years.

That was the worst of it all, I seriously cannot BEGIN to get over the stupidity of that decision and the abjectly unrealistic handling of it. Lampkin was right, there would have been riots as soon as someone said "And how will we make clothing?" Ugh, so so annoyed at that.

The show really attempted to teach the wrong lesson, and it failed to do so because the actual aesop was pretty plain to see. The show's version was "If you use technology you will die" but the reality was "Technology can be dangerous if abused, but if treated with respect it can be your greatest ally". That should have been pretty clear from the fact that A) Half the skinjobs made peace with Humanity, B) The centurions went off to do their own thing, and C) It was the technology of the fleet which kept everyone alive at all.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 03-21-2009 at 06:29 PM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ok, here's what really annoys me.

I know the entire theme of the show has been, "All this has happened before, and will happen again." But I always assumed that the story we were watching would be the one in which the cycle was broken. But for the characters, for the fleet and Battlestar Galactica to go through ALL THAT just so they could abandon everything that they knew and start the cycle all over again. My god, that's just wretched.

One of the first things I thought after watching the finale was, "maybe Dee had the right idea afterall =/" Their entire struggle was pretty useless in the end. Instead of, I dunno, honoring their history and their past and everything they had learned through their recent struggles, they decide to completely throw it all away. Clean slate bull. Why not work together to build a new civilization? One in which the trauma of the cylon/human war is remembered so that history doesn't repeat itself. But oh wait, if they had done that then that wouldn't have fit in nicely with the whole, "they're our ancestors" idea. So what, in the end, our rag-tag group of survivors find their final destination and choose to split up into little groups and go die in the wilderness? Because that's what ultimately happened, I'm sure. Aside from the super capable like the Agathon family, I'm betting that many of the colonials died within a few years of dispersing on the planet. So pointless.

How much more badass would it have been if they had built a new civilization, one that took humanity and technology further than it had ever gone before? Having survived the cylon/human war and found a way not just to coexist, but to love one another, they had the potential to take civilization to whole new heights. Instead they're in Africa. Hunting animals with pointy sticks.

IF they really had to do the flash forward to our present time thing, then I wish they had done it differently. The whole tone of the last 3 minutes was off. Like they completely switched gears and it was like watching a different show. BSG has always been on the darker side, so why bring in all that cheese all of sudden? They could have played it so much more true to the series. Like if they fast forward to the the future and we see a war in which "humans" are fighting robots, without realizing that humans themselves are robots. Something other than the *wink wink* dur hur hur, look ma! It's our New York!

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anytime anyone asks me what I think of the finale I'm just going to link them to that post, Miriel

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Something other than the *wink wink* dur hur hur, look ma! It's our New York!
    Ahaha that's exactly what it was.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I agree that it was a strange choice to split up and run around the grass like hippies instead of using the resources they had. I did think Lee's line about our brains being ahead of our hearts to be cute, in that cheesy way, though I don't think that justified it.

I didn't mind the ending too much, really. Kind of predictable, but whatever.

For me the most powerful moment of the finale was Roslin dying. She's been my favorite character from the very first episode. If being on the Internet so much hadn't destroyed my ability to cry, I totally would have.

I do not like their explanation for Kara's situation. In fact, a lot of it came down to spiritual crap rather than true... twists, I guess.

But overall, I am happy with it.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    Best part about the series finale: Tori dies and nobody gives a crap at all.
    Oh shiz I missed this earlier. Absolutely 100% agreed with. It was awesome that nobody cared at all. xD And I feel so bad for poor Tyrol, he's one of my fave characters and one of the few who makes an effort to be a decent guy, and he gets kicked around by the universe so much that he manages to stand out as getting the short end of the stick after a nuclear holocaust. I wanted to hug him and tell him that I won't be a jerk

Also, just how many times did Boomer change allegiances over the course of the show?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Ok, here's what really annoys me.

I know the entire theme of the show has been, "All this has happened before, and will happen again." But I always assumed that the story we were watching would be the one in which the cycle was broken. But for the characters, for the fleet and Battlestar Galactica to go through ALL THAT just so they could abandon everything that they knew and start the cycle all over again. My god, that's just wretched.

One of the first things I thought after watching the finale was, "maybe Dee had the right idea afterall =/" Their entire struggle was pretty useless in the end. Instead of, I dunno, honoring their history and their past and everything they had learned through their recent struggles, they decide to completely throw it all away. Clean slate bull. Why not work together to build a new civilization? One in which the trauma of the cylon/human war is remembered so that history doesn't repeat itself. But oh wait, if they had done that then that wouldn't have fit in nicely with the whole, "they're our ancestors" idea.
    Explain how trying to build a new civilization with the same technology and ideals would have ended the cycle? It was done twice after Kobul (three times if you want to count New Caprica), and every time, civilization destroyed itself. I can see what you're getting at, but the history of the people in the show has proven that picking up where you left off on a new planet doesn't change anything, and there's no reason to believe it should. A fresh start isn't really a fresh start if the only thing that changes is your location. Given that the Cylons seemed pretty convinced they'd eventually die off there would be no reason for anything to change in the scenario you claim you'd prefer.

Instead of coming to our Earth and claiming the planet as theirs and doing whatever they wanted all willy nilly, they instead chose to actually start over, and to try and integrate with the indigenous people to build a better society from scratch. Obviously time, evolution and our short memories would have other ideas though.

How much more badass would it have been if they had built a new civilization, one that took humanity and technology further than it had ever gone before? Having survived the cylon/human war and found a way not just to coexist, but to love one another, they had the potential to take civilization to whole new heights. Instead they're in Africa. Hunting animals with pointy sticks.
    Who are we to judge what progress is? We like to think that we're so advanced and developed because of our technology, but we're still a planet full of assholes. And if the rest of the cylons die off in a generation without procreating, then there is no loving, accepting civilization you speak of. It's simply a recipe for everything to happen all over again. Take the technology out of the mix for a while and they at least buy themselves a reprieve from their own self-destructive tendencies jeopardizing the entire human race and a chance to find something better.

IF they really had to do the flash forward to our present time thing, then I wish they had done it differently. The whole tone of the last 3 minutes was off. Like they completely switched gears and it was like watching a different show. BSG has always been on the darker side, so why bring in all that cheese all of sudden? They could have played it so much more true to the series. Like if they fast forward to the the future and we see a war in which "humans" are fighting robots, without realizing that humans themselves are robots. Something other than the *wink wink* dur hur hur, look ma! It's our New York!
    This comment bothers me the most. I suppose anyone can interpret the show however they want, but for me, it's always been a show about hope. Yes it's a dark show a lot of the time. I don't think you can portray the near extinction of humanity and the struggle to find a new home as a cheery love fest. But it was always a show based on hope. The hope that they could find a new home, make a fresh start, and in the last season especially, find a way to co-exist with the Cylons without both sides killing each other.

The ending fit to me. It was a rather fitting message given everything that's happened in the show over the last 4-5 years that we still have a chance to get past our need to destroy each other and maybe stand some chance of living together and treating each other as human beings for a change. Whether you liked it or not, the message was completely in keeping with one of the major themes I felt the show has been conveying for years.

That's just my view of it. Not saying you have to like it, just arguing the other side.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Um. I think you completely missed the point of my post, but ok.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    The ending fit to me. It was a rather fitting message given everything that's happened in the show over the last 4-5 years that we still have a chance to get past our need to destroy each other and maybe stand some chance of living together and treating each other as human beings for a change. Whether you liked it or not, the message was completely in keeping with one of the major themes I felt the show has been conveying for years.

That's just my view of it. Not saying you have to like it, just arguing the other side.
    What message? Modern day humanity has no idea wtf. They've never heard of cylons. They're completely inexperienced in dealing with the issues once they build AI. Had the Colonial-Cylon alliance worked to build a new civilization themselves, they could have ensured that there was representation for all, that the society was built upon tolerance and respect, and that the lessons of the past were never forgotten.

BSG ending what can you say besides the if they where all angels we where sure sold a bill of goods for this last year. Sorry but that just was not the ending I thought would come from such a great series.
    Final Fantasy Radio
    "Square Music for a Round World"