Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd Classes

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default Odd Classes

As far as the Final Fantasies I've played, there hasn't really been many characters in the series with the odd classes. By odd classes I mean the ones we don;t usually see, something on the terms of Mimic, or mime, a trainer, alchemist, gambler, etc.

Before anyone refers to Rikku as an alchemist, I'm not diminishing the fact that she is one, but what I'm talking about is someone whose primary means of attack and healing is through the use of mixing items. I'm not sure of what Wakka's class is. He focuses on weakening the enemy by inflicting them with status ailments. I would like to see a trainer class, someone who uses captured monsters to battle, but it seems like it might not work though in a turned based FF.

What are some of the minor or forgotten classes in FF that you would like to see return in a specific class format?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

FF X mixed a lot of the classes together
    Rikku is a thief/alchemist
    Wakka is a mix between what is part of a green mage and gambler
    Khimari a mix of Dragoon/Blue Mage

I liked the Mystic Knight and Oracle from FFV. Oracle is a new job from the GBA port. Giving attacks magic properties is cool, and affecting the future of the battle is a great idea that can be expanded on to a great system.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Wasn't green magic not invented until XII came along?

Blog Entries

I really liked Mog's dancer/geomancer class. I dont really like the other dancers which make status effects. I saw Gau as a sort of reverse trainer in that the monsters trained him instead of the other way around and that worked pretty well but it would've been good if he could train off the Veldt or something.

Wakka is the long range accurate type so i'd see him as a replacement for 'gunner'
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Everyone had a little dancer inside of them in FFX!

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyxsora View Post
    FF X mixed a lot of the classes together
    Rikku is a thief/alchemist
    Wakka is a mix between what is part of a green mage and gambler
    Khimari a mix of Dragoon/Blue Mage

Gambler yes, Green Mage no. He learned some Black Magic and Green Magic wasn't introduced till XII anyway.

And as for return of certain classes, Mime comes to mind. Gogo is the only official Mime character in the FF universe and the only other games that had the Mime class was FFT and FF V.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke
    Wakka is the long range accurate type so i'd see him as a replacement for 'gunner'
    Ranger would be a better term for him as he uses a Blitzball for ranged attacks instead of the typical Guns, Crossbows, Bows & Arrows.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Wasn't green magic not invented until XII came along?
    It wasn't categorized as such before then, but the spells were still there. xD

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Wait wait, wasn't green magic focused on positive status effects like Protect, Shell, Reflect, and Might?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I thought green magic was just status magic in general.

Wait wait, wasn't green magic focused on positive status effects like Protect, Shell, Reflect, and Might?
    Yes

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblades View Post
    Yes
    That is incorrect. Green Magic is a class that focuses on magic that alter statuses. There are positive effects like mentioned above, and negative effects. Wakka's section of the sphere grid contains abilities that incur various negative status effects. (Blind, Silence, Sleep)

Green Magic list can be found here.

I think of magic as broader then simply the same spell is always in the same class. For example, haste has been found in Black, White, and Time Magic classes over the course of various Final Fantasy installments.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyxsora View Post

Wakka's section of the sphere grid contains abilities that incur various negative status effects. (Blind, Silence, Sleep)

Those are skills, not magic(in FF X anyway). The only spells he learns on his grid is Drain and Osmose
    Last edited by Crossblades; 01-20-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Oh okay, i never used status ailments in XII unless it was a weapon effect. I'm not sure if a mime character would work. It would be a little boring just selecting the same old option every time and what would that character's limit break be?

I would also like to see a very strict and basis Time Mage character, but I'm not sure if he'll have enough spells to be consistent throughout the entire game, because I think time magic consists of magic that bends time and space so I think these are the spells related to it.

Haste
    Slow
    Slowga
    Hastega
    Stop
    Float
    Demi or Gravity
    Quake?
    Comet
    Meteor

XII had bleed and immobilize for Time as well, although I think bleed would be better for Arcane magic. Speaking of Arcane Magic I would think it would make more since to have status ailments in there along with the dark spells.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh okay, i never used status ailments in XII unless it was a weapon effect. I'm not sure if a mime character would work. It would be a little boring just selecting the same old option every time and what would that character's limit break be?
    Gogo can answer that...

I would also like to see a very strict and basis Time Mage character

We already have one. Ashe from FF XII:Revenant Wings for the DS

Vaan - "Hey, you!"