Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TIPS

Default TIPS

I tip, and I tip well. I've been known to give $5 to pizza deliverers and tip well at sit-down restaurants.

My grandparents don't tip, at all. It's embarrassing. Sometimes when we're leaving they refuse to tip, so I have to lay some money down for our waiter or waitress. Big jerk faces.

My dad tips, but it's not a lot.

Do you tip? How much do you tip?

(I'm asking this 'cause I just ordered pizza. )

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm an old push over. Unless the person was just flat-out terrible I always leave something. I feel guilty about them not getting higher than minimum wage at restaurants.

I give them whatever change is in my pocket. I am doing them a favor, while they are doing me one.
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Depends on how good the food was.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Depends on how good the food was.
    But you're tipping the server, not the chef.

Dick Solomon taught me everything I need to know about tipping people.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Depends if I can afford to and if I feel like it, which means there's a 0.7% chance that I'll leave one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Dick Solomon taught me everything I need to know about tipping people.

If you tried that I'd bet you'd get knocked on the head with a pepper grinder.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I could rant for days about tipping.

I am more than happy to tip if I am given service ABOVE AND BEYOND what is required. Seriously, sometimes good service can make or break a meal. If a server is extra attentive, friendly, etc, then I think they definitely deserve something extra for their efforts. But I don't understand the point of paying someone for doing their job. If someone does what they're supposed to do (ie: brought the dish from the kitchen, to your table, brings water or refills when asked, takes your order properly) why are you expected to pay EXTRA just because someone met the minimum expectations of service?

I hate hate hate how even in situations where you're given downright BAD service, you're still expected to tip. There have been so many times where I have had ty service and yet there's still this crazy guilt associated with not leaving proper tip. What is that? It's like it's been programmed into our brains and to do otherwise takes an enormous amount of will power.

For the longest time I gave people 15% tip because that's what I thought I was supposed to do. It's what people told me I was supposed to do. Then I grew some balls and realized that I was just giving away money for no reason. I don't even understand the percentage thing.

If I order a plate of kobe beef, why should I pay more tip than if I had ordered a salad? The work involved is still the same - bring out one plate from the kitchen. Why should it matter how much your meal costs? Is there some sort of assumption that if you're able to afford an expensive meal, it means you should also be able to leave an outrageously high tip? .

I know there are plenty of countries out there where tip isn't expected, required, or even welcome. South Korea, New Zealand, etc.

Even while thinking rationally about tip, it's hard for me NOT to leave tip no matter what. I do it out of pity mostly. I feel bad for people who work in the service industry, and that's the main reason why I tip these days, not because I was given really good service. And that's just dumb.

I think in a lot of places they are allowed to pay waiters under minimum wage because it's assumed they'll get tips. They basically survive off of them. That's why you give one out. At least, if they're nice and good at their job, I say. I dunno why restaurants developed into such a state, but there it is these days.

As for me, I barely ever eat out, and when I do someone else takes care of all that for me. I chip in and then let them do whatever because I'm an incapable little girl.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 01-22-2009 at 02:31 AM.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

I tip if the service was somehow exceptional, but it's not expected that you tip in NZ. Waiting gets you a fair bit more than minimum wage here though.

I never understood why not tipping is so frowned upon in other parts of the world.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Customer Service.

A Lyrical Storm Is Coming TyphoonThaReapa's Avatar

A'yo, I'm black...:rolleyes2...lol I love stereotypes...
    A'yo son, TTR WAS HERE!!!
    (SPOILER)BITCHES

Banned

I tip well, I think.

Fyi: Servers make about $3 an hour, give or take in some places, so tips are completely relied upon to make a living.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I always tip between 15-20% depending on how well my brain is working and how generous I feel.

In Quebec, people are expected to make tips automatically get taxed on it based on their sales. So if you don't tip well, they won't make much since it will go to covering the taxes. Also, they get a lower minimum wage as well. :/ Thus I tip well.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    I tip if the service was somehow exceptional, but it's not expected that you tip in NZ. Waiting gets you a fair bit more than minimum wage here though.

I never understood why not tipping is so frowned upon in other parts of the world.
    Because they[sometimes] get paid half of minimum wage. They're expected to break even with tips.