Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Trailer Revealed.

Watched it and I wasn't very impressed.

The scenes of the battle system put me off entirely. Looks like a button mash for combos, and muddling through menus all at once. That and the menu system just looks ugly, takes up way too much of the screen, I feel kind of claustrophobic just watching it.

The graphics were pretty through, but that seems to be about it.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Meh, too much sci-fi for my tastes. The battle system looks okay though. :-\

The action and battle system look really impressive. I hope they find the right balance between sci-fi and nature/magic stuff though. And a well-told deep story. That's what I find important anyway.

third that in the minority bunch.. wasn't impressed at all.. gameplay was alright to me, what irked me was all the technology and sci-fi crap.. definitely not wasn't feeling all that.. hopefully there are more nature in this game that that sci fi stuff..

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I thought it was pretty. If it has a battle system like FFX-2, I won't be complaining ... I liked that system. Still, I don't think they're /exactly/ the same.

I'm decently excited for this game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I saw some orange-haired guy and Asian-looking chick, so if I am correct, do we have a 6-member group? It seems plausible...

Ok, how can people judge the battle system just from that? You haven't played it, or experienced it for yourself. It could be very innovative (and it looks like it will be, just from that clip) The CGI is obviously amazing, and the story should be great aswell. Geeze, you people aren't up for anything new!!! :)

This looks exactly like I expected it to look like. Surely all you guys that are actually disapointed by this knew that what was in that 2006 trailer was either a mock up or heavily scripted and the actual game wouldn't be anywhere near as fluent.

Quote Originally Posted by tidus_rox
    Ok, how can people judge the battle system just from that? You haven't played it, or experienced it for yourself. It could be very innovative (and it looks like it will be, just from that clip) The CGI is obviously amazing, and the story should be great aswell. Geeze, you people aren't up for anything new!!!
    How can you judge that the story is going to be "great" based on a few dialog excerpts in Japanese?
    Last edited by Karellen; 01-29-2009 at 02:43 AM.

Can someone extract the higher quality video and upload it somewhere, or is it possible already to download it from other places in non-flash formats?

edit: found one, but quality isn't that great [1280x720 h.264/avc]
    Last edited by unfinished fantasy; 01-29-2009 at 03:07 AM. Reason: found dl link to non-flash

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I was very impressed! Looks like the FF I've been waiting for since I started the series. Let's hope it is!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by tidus_rox View Post
    Ok, how can people judge the battle system just from that? You haven't played it, or experienced it for yourself. It could be very innovative (and it looks like it will be, just from that clip) The CGI is obviously amazing, and the story should be great aswell. Geeze, you people aren't up for anything new!!!
    I still feel the battle system is promising but I was disappointed by how slow it was in real time and the combo system between characters felt as awkward as X-2's system was about it. Basically, it looks like X-2's ATB system crossed with Xenogears system with a bit of tag team thrown in for good measure. Its not bad but it just feels kinda slow and a bit underwhelming from what the original trailer promised.

My only other complaint was the seemingly return to the classic battle formation of "good guys on one side, bad guys on the other. You attack and then move back to your side of the field" shenanigans. It feels counter productive to its predecessor. Oddly enough, I didn't think this one would irritate me as much as I thought it would.

I must admit, it is damn pretty. The graphics are superb. At least Squeenix does not disappoint in that area. This trailer at least puts FFXIII on the 'to watch from a distance' list. I am not going to be following it much because, well, it is still a year or so away from being released and I do not want to get my hopes up.

"Did I become a hero?"

Project: N00b

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

It reminds me of both FFVII and The Matrix Revolutions.

"We're fighting PSICOM! The best the Sanctum's got!" reminds me of "We're fighting SOLDIER! The best that SHINRA's got!" That, plus a train ride/chase, scorpion robot first boss, and general other stuff in this game make me feel like it's leaning towards a "Look, it's like FFVII but not, but still sorta!" vibe. Could just be me though.

Anyhoo, not particularly impressed. Good looking CG = whoop-de-doo. The graphics look fine in-game, but not enough to change my "meh, I'll play it when I play it" stance on the game.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eh. The graphics are ok, but I dislike the whole approach toward design and graphics that brings things too close to the uncanny valley.

I much prefer animation that's amazing looking, but also unrealistic at the same time. Like the stuff Pixar does. They make the smart move of NOT making humans appear humans. I guess in general, I'm just so sick of the aesthetics of the recent Final Fantasy games. The graphics just get better and better but the style and design aren't evolving at all. =/ Same ol' same ol'.

Also, too much Sci-Fi, not enough Fantasy.