Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Quistis jealous of Rinoa?

Default Is Quistis jealous of Rinoa?

How do you think this line should be interpreted? Is Quistis making a simple statement, or is there a "So where's the bitch that succeeded where I failed" sentiment behind it? Because if the latter is how that line's intended, that Quistis apparently has a lot of venom towards Rinoa.

Are there any other instances of Quistis displaying resentment towards Rinoa? Do you think Quistis is justified in having such feelings, or should she stop being selfish and simply be glad that two of her best friends in the world have found true love?

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I think that's just her usual glib personality. "Princess" is a reference to Rinoa's status among the Timber Owls, and she'd been giving Squall a hard time about his attitude since the beginning of the game.

i'd feel jealous if i were Quistis, they never used her character to her full pontential and Squall's Rinoa love comes on very quickly. its sweet and all but it has to be a kick in the teeth
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Hahaha,you named him Robert!

She seemed to dislike her a little in disc 1, I cant remember exactly but she mentioned the skills of SeeD a few times to try and exclude Rinoa

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trancekuja View Post
    That screenshot is actually from Leovinus's Let's Play of the game, which absolutely everyone should read.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

During the flashback at the orphanage, she says something like "I gave up once Rinoa came into the picture." so I'm thinking yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trancekuja View Post
    That screenshot is actually from Leovinus's Let's Play of the game, which absolutely everyone should read.
    That is ridiculously hilarious.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    During the flashback at the orphanage, she says something like "I gave up once Rinoa came into the picture." so I'm thinking yeah.
    She is clearly jealous. This scene illustrates that. However, her jealousy does not go so far as to affect her behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine View Post
    She is clearly jealous. This scene illustrates that. However, her jealousy does not go so far as to affect her behavior.

this is the reason i liked the character, she was strong and she dealt with her issues privately, no big scenes or temper tantrums, just a sad unrequited love, gave her much needed depth
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Funny, that line convinced me she wasn't jealous of Rinoa. I guess somethings can give different messages.
    Last edited by MJN SEIFER; 02-17-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Because, I made a MISTAKE! OK?!

^I actually have a hard time understanding how that line would make you think that she wasn't jealous...unless, maybe you think that when Quistis gives up that she's 'over' Squall? I always read that line as that of a woman who's been beaten...losing the one she wanted to someone else. The fact that Quistis would give up so easily is either very sad...or it adds to the Squall/Rinoa connection.

Anyway, when in the game does Quistis say that? Is it after they remember their pasts? I had heard that Quistis believes that her feelings were actually just her dealing with her veiled childhood memories of Squall. Of course, claiming that you had no feelings to begin with is an old standby for girls who've been rejected. Poor Quistis.
    I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII: DoC, VII: CC, VIII, X, X-2, XII, KH, KH:CoM, Re:CoM, KHII, CT

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hhr1dluv View Post
    ^I actually have a hard time understanding how that line would make you think that she wasn't jealous...unless, maybe you think that when Quistis gives up that she's 'over' Squall? I always read that line as that of a woman who's been beaten...losing the one she wanted to someone else. The fact that Quistis would give up so easily is either very sad...or it adds to the Squall/Rinoa connection.
    You're pretty close, I interpetted that line as someone who has come to terms that he is with someone else, the feelings are still there, but she nderstands, it's actually quite admirable. I do sympathise, despite the fact I am a S/R fan. Square very rarely premote jealousy, at least not for very long. FFVII is a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by hhr1dluv View Post
    ^Anyway, when in the game does Quistis say that? Is it after they remember their pasts?
    Yes it is.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

During the orphanage scene, when she finally talks about her feelings, it's obvious that she's pretty cut up about what's happened - but she doesn't seem to blame Rinoa for it.

I'd be very surprised if she wasn't a little jealous though. She's known Squall since they were basically infants, she's fancied him for a long time, then Seifer's ex turns up out of the blue and inserts herself into Squall's affections? That's pretty harsh.

In my opinion, Quistis deserved a hell of a lot more screentime than the game gave her. Plus, I'm a sucker for love stories with unhappy endings

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

IMHO I think voice acting would benefit her a lot xD