Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Pete's fine fineliner thread!

Thank you BoB, much appreciated! I'm stoked to hear the surreal ideas appeal to you, and even more about the little things coming across. Lately I've been working on improving my skills a lot, resulting in more realistic works like the polar bear. I learn a lot from making them, and I need those skills to be able to get every idea from my mind onto the paper - something in which I don't always succeed. But I'm getting there though, and in the end I too get more caught up in the surreal stuff when it's finished. I still have a 1x1.5 meter canvas to fill lying around, so that might be my next big piece. Thanks for subscribing by the way : )

For now, I've made a new digital painting which means more colour experimentation;

A_FOREST_HAND_DEF_S.jpg

EDIT: Looking back in this thread I realized I never posted my biggest mural. Let's see if you can find some interesting details, BoB : ) It's a super hi-res picture, so link: http://psneep.nl/BROTHERS_FULL_XL.jpg
    Last edited by Pete for President; 06-12-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Whoa... Magical.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Loving the colours in your forest. As for the mural, wow! This is really awesome. I miss having a mural in my bedroom - my Mum painted mine for me, it's still back in NZ though as it's too big to ship and probably too big for my UK bedroom! Really like this one, though. Even the simple things that many less devoted people wouldn't bother with, such as shutters that are hanging from their hinges and the missing tiles on that house's rooftop... this is the kind of stuff that can put you above the more simple artists out there! Keep it up and I look forward to more.

Only thing I have to say on a less constructive level is that it looks like the guy hanging from the flying machine has pooped twice.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Love the mural. Not a critique as such, but I would love to see more of the deep black that we see in a few of the cogs in the rest of it, like in the waves for instance.

Zoomed out it seems like the clouds are overtaking the town, but after zooming in I realize that they're not. Love the trees and the detail in the machinery.

Thanks Chionos, much appreciated. The waves are actually more black then the picture shows, it's just hard to get a good photo with no additional lighting. Glad you like it : )

Some new pieces below. I never really do fan-art stuff, but Solaire just deserves some love. His hands and shield turned out kinda funny. I still think drawing humans is superhard. Really enjoyed drawing the eel/fish in the first one.

ACITYDWELLER_S.jpgplunge_s.jpgsolaire_600.jpg

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

His left hand looks kind of small but otherwise I think you did a damn fine job. Drawing people is hard and while you didn't need a face or anything with this guy, you still did a good job of making him look human and not some deformed aberration like anything I draw is

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    HOLY BEAUTIFUL! That is enchanting!

Nice stuff Pete! Keep up the awesome work.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Thanks everyone, superglad you like my work : ) Indeed Jiro, the helmet made things a lot easier! Faces are just... sigh.

Maybe I should come up with a plan to force myself to learn to draw humans more properly. I was thinking of trying to mimic some of Akihiko Yoshida's work (FFT/FFXII/Vagrant Story character designer) to see if I can learn from him. I love his work; http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0...blfo1_1280.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I say go for it! If nothing else, you'll be producing some FF fan art for our enjoyment. And if your skills start improving, then everyone's a winner!

Well Jiro, here we go! First up, Vagrant Story's Romeo Guildenstern... although somewhat customized. Messed up the left hand and turned it into a monster. I didn't really go for every single detail. What mattered to me is posture, pose, hands, face and lighting. Overall pretty satisfied, I like the slimness and the way the beard turned out. The right shoulder lacks depth and the feet look a bit funky, but it was good practice for pose and posture. Feedback is welcome, and I might be willing to do requests too!

Original:

322519-vs_romeo_guildenstern.jpg

My quick sketch-ish attempt:

IMAG0761.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

That's smurfing awesome. I think your sketch is far more realistically proportioned than the reference. I love your design and yeah, his beard is particularly awesome. I had to laugh at the monster, you just can't draw anything too "normal" I'm pretty damn impressed. He looks like a human being, not horribly disfigured and shouldn't be able to live. Top effort man!

New painting! I revised both cliffs about 5 times, as well as the sky about 10 times, but it was worth it. Super hyped on the result;

sunlightbird_s.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I want to be there. So bad.