Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rinoa and Ultimecia **dissidia spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Considering its been almost ten years without an official explanation from Squenix, I would say this is more of a coincidence or Squenix humoring the fanbase.
    Although, if SE was indeed humoring the fanbase, the game would of have had a specific theme attached to it. As far as I know, the game doesn't have that theme.

We each take our own interpretation from it.
    Then why did you tell us not to read much into this interpretation?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    Considering its been almost ten years without an official explanation from Squenix, I would say this is more of a coincidence or Squenix humoring the fanbase.
    Although, if SE was indeed humoring the fanbase, the game would of have had a specific theme attached to it. As far as I know, the game doesn't have that theme.
    The game does have a theme and its blatant fan service. Its got a ton of inconsistencies though, and the equipment is one of them. Please for the love of god, don't drag Dissidia into this debate...
    We each take our own interpretation from it.
    Then why did you tell us not to read much into this interpretation?
    My real response was actually going to be "JESUS F@#%ING CHRIST!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU PEOPLE!!! LET IT GO! You know what? "Whatever" cause obviously nothing I say is going to stop you people from... I'm washing my hands from this..."

But that seemed a little more mean spirited so I went with the above post

If you actually read Squall's storyline, Dissidia actually fleshes out Ultimecia's motive. (SPOILER)She wants to use Time Compression to freeze all time into a singularity and become a god. This is why she feels people, like Squall, are foolish for not worshiping her. Its not to protect her or to get revenge; she's just an egomaniac like all the other villains. Hell, she spends more time in the game conspiring against her own comrades than worrying about Squall. When she is defeated, she whines about how she "can't die yet until she becomes a god" and then Squall mumbles about the promise he made to Rinoa at the orphanage. So the game probably does more to hurt your theory than help it.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Right? Let`s move onto the next paragraph.
    Best transition sentence ever.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

If you actually read Squall's storyline, Dissidia actually fleshes out Ultimecia's motive. (SPOILER)She wants to use Time Compression to freeze all time into a singularity and become a god. This is why she feels people, like Squall, are foolish for not worshiping her. Its not to protect her or to get revenge; she's just an egomaniac like all the other villains. Hell, she spends more time in the game conspiring against her own comrades than worrying about Squall. When she is defeated, she whines about how she "can't die yet until she becomes a god" and then Squall mumbles about the promise he made to Rinoa at the orphanage. So the game probably does more to hurt your theory than help it.
    I was hoping for a good solid backstory for Ultimecia, I guess I'll have to be disappointed. She's an intriguing villainess, but Sephiroth and even Kefka get more explanation in their respective games. In FFVIII she just...is.

The thought of playing as her is awesome though. Almost as cool as when (SPOILER)Edea was in the party.

Quote Originally Posted by BG-57 View Post
    I was hoping for a good solid backstory for Ultimecia, I guess I'll have to be disappointed. She's an intriguing villainess, but Sephiroth and even Kefka get more explanation in their respective games. In FFVIII she just...is.

The thought of playing as her is awesome though. Almost as cool as when (SPOILER)Edea was in the party.
    I always got the impression that Ultimecia's motive was revenge upon the people for ridiculing and alienating her for her entire life because she was a sorceress.

Why some of you are so eager to get official statement from SE, when part of the appeal in old FF games is that you could create theories which might be true but no confirmation. Like there is lot speculation who Gogo (VI) really is but it is never revealed and I´m glad it is like that.

New FF games lack the mystery aspect which is one of the reasons their stories is not good as they used to be.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gogo is a non-important entity in VI and his identity would not affect the story much. R=U is a theory that completely alters the entire dynamics of the storyline. Its a big deal if its true or not. This is why some people would like some form of confirmation. Its not a fun theory, its a massive plot twist.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I agree, Wolf Kanno. If Rinoa was Ultimecia, a developer or scenario writer for the game would have come out and said it or it would have been stated in the Ultimania Guide or equivalent for this game, right? They outright confirm theories that have even less traction like the worlds of Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X being connected, so why would they not confirm this one if it was true? It would have been an interesting plot twist if it was addressed by anything other than theories.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    I always got the impression that Ultimecia's motive was revenge upon the people for ridiculing and alienating her for her entire life because she was a sorceress.
    I got that impression as well. But details would have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Unstoppable Pig View Post
    Why some of you are so eager to get official statement from SE, when part of the appeal in old FF games is that you could create theories which might be true but no confirmation. Like there is lot speculation who Gogo (VI) really is but it is never revealed and I´m glad it is like that.

New FF games lack the mystery aspect which is one of the reasons their stories is not good as they used to be.
    It's pretty simple: Gogo is a cameo from FFV. A better question would be who was he supposed to be in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    I agree, Wolf Kanno. If Rinoa was Ultimecia, a developer or scenario writer for the game would have come out and said it or it would have been stated in the Ultimania Guide or equivalent for this game, right? They outright confirm theories that have even less traction like the worlds of Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X being connected, so why would they not confirm this one if it was true? It would have been an interesting plot twist if it was addressed by anything other than theories.
    SquareSoft did not reveal more information about Ultimecia in the Ultimania book, e.g. her full background. So, what do we make of this action? By the look of things, she has to be accepted as mysterious and that everything about herself and the plot itself are open to interpretation.

If they include additional information about Ultimecia, would that make the whole R=U theory any less plausible?

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    SquareSoft did not reveal more information about Ultimecia in the Ultimania book, e.g. her full background. So, what do we make of this action? By the look of things, she has to be accepted as mysterious and that everything about herself and the plot itself are open to interpretation.
    The thing is that firstly the game itself gives a lot of information about Ultimecia's backstory and motives so it's not completely mysterious to begin with, and secondly the Ultimania DOES say something about Ultimecia and in fact supports what we are given in the game (which isn't "R=U"). So no, we don't have to accept that at all.

Now, of course the Ultimania doesn't come out and give some explicit answers on Ultimecia, but the more natural conclusion to be drawn from that isn't that Ultimecia is mysterious, but rather that she's NOT more mysterious than the game implies she is.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm actually curious to know if a companion guide might be released for the 10th anniversary of VIII but I guess that would be asking too much since it doesn't have the fanbase.

I wish one of the writers would come out and say something but after the whole VII=X bull from the X-2 Ultimania, I wouldn't be surprised if Nojima would just ok the idea cause the fans thought it up rather than it being planned from the beginning.

Still, I am a bit surprised no one at SE has said anything but I agree with Sir Bahamut that its probably cause its the only thing that still generates good buzz for the title is flamboyant conspiracy theories concerning the game.

Why do people argue with trolls > _ >

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    Why do people argue with trolls > _ >
    If this is directed at me, then I think you misunderstood the definition of trolling. If I was trolling, I wouldn`t be serious, taking the negative feedbacks for granted, I would be trying to annoy people (intentional). And many other unethical examples, which I wish not to label them into here. All my posts are absolutely genuine.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think he meant me