Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IV: The After Years Rated by ESRB

Default Final Fantasy IV: The After Years Rated by ESRB

RPGamer - News Bulletin - Final Fantasy IV: The After Years Rated by ESRB

North American RPGamers have just been given hope that Final Fantasy IV: The After will no longer remain an unattainable object we are forced to watch others play with through the bulletproof glass of the Pacific Ocean. Originally a Japanese mobile game unlikely to ever make it overseas, The After details the story of what occurred 17 years after Square's classic Super Nintendo RPG Final Fantasy IV.

The ESRB has given an E rating to Final Fantasy IV: The After Years for the Wii, a slightly changed title but unquestionably the same game. Seeing as this was an ESRB leak, there is no confirmation whether the game will be available as a retail release or on the WiiWare download service. A WiiWare release is more likely, considering the Japanese version's episodic format. The game is currently being released in multiple mobile chapters rather than all at once. Whether the game could also be released in an episodic format for the Wii or as a package is unknown.

Of course, just because a game is rated does not mean it will ever see a release, but at the least there is now more of a chance for a North American release than before. RPGamer has a staff review blog available for more information on the mobile version of the game.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Ehh.

I guess it won't be as ugly as the mobile phone version, at least.

The After, from what I've seen/read, doesn't seem that great.
    If I have money to throw away, I might download it (if it's WiiWare).

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been avoiding it for the most part. I'll probably read a translation on Gamefaqs and call it good. I feel IV is one of the few FFs that is inconceivable for it to have a sequel; as the game pretty much tied up every loose end and left little to work with. Though I love IV, I'm not so sentimental to throw money away on a sequel I feel should never had been made.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

http://wii.ign.com/articles/957/957943p1.html

Final Fantasy IV Sequel Heads to Wii
    The Japanese mobile phone game is coming to America.
    by Daemon Hatfield

February 27, 2009 - Did you know there was a sequel to Final Fantasy IV released on mobile phones in Japan? It's true! Looks like American gamers will be getting a chance to play it, too, as a synopsis for Final Fantasy IV: The After Years has popped up at the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB). En route to the Wii, the sequel is described as a 2D role-playing game involving -- what else? -- magic crystals. Players adventure across an overworld map and delve into dungeons, getting caught up in turn-based battles along the way with leopards, birds, and monster fish (the worst kind of fish).

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years will be rated "E" for everyone and includes references to alcohol and mild fantasy violence. No release date is available at this time. The fact that it was a mobile phone game in Japan makes a WiiWare release possible.
    I dunno . . . the wiki page on it makes the plot and new characters sound frikkin sweeeeet!

I'm definately getting this! I can't wait!

I think party of ninjas is only reason to get this game, but maybe its not enough. Yangs daughter seems worth of seeing too and teen Palom and Porom but then again this game doesn´t seem interesting at all. Only good direct FF sequel is Revenant Wings.

Kain´s story is only worth to get sequel but I guess they could have worked him somehow into Dissidia. It may not be canon but still it would have shown how much he wants to restore his and dragoons honor.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Unstoppable Pig View Post
    teen Palom and Porom
    Not that they really look it, but they're twenty-two.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Meh, I'll never forgive SE for what they did to our favorite "Clad in the Dark" in this sequel, and for that IV The After sucks and will forever suck.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

What did they do to Golbez?

Wait . . . I think I read something about it did they (SPOILER) kill him and FoSoYa off by the new villain?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I've been avoiding it for the most part. I'll probably read a translation on Gamefaqs and call it good. I feel IV is one of the few FFs that is inconceivable for it to have a sequel; as the game pretty much tied up every loose end and left little to work with. Though I love IV, I'm not so sentimental to throw money away on a sequel I feel should never had been made.
    Seriously? Honestly, FFIV was the only game I thought that, apart from FFVII, even left room for a sequel. Zeromus even explicitly said he'd come back, and Cain's character arc left a lot of questions unanswered as well.

That said I still haven't developed an opinion on whether the sequel was a good idea. Someone on thelifestream.net pointed out how closely various plot elements of the sequel resemble the plot of the original game
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Unstoppable Pig View Post
    Kain´s story is only worth to get sequel but I guess they could have worked him somehow into Dissidia. It may not be canon but still it would have shown how much he wants to restore his and dragoons honor.
    If you read the interview with Nomura in the Dissidia Ultimania, he mentions that Kain was originally planned to be in Dissidia. He was original brought up to be the Chaos warrior from the title but Golbez was chosen instead. After that, Kain was planned as a secret character until he was finally dropped at the last minute due to time restrictions. It was amusing to see how sad Nomura was about the decision cause Kain seems to be one of his favorite characters in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Seriously? Honestly, FFIV was the only game I thought that, apart from FFVII, even left room for a sequel. Zeromus even explicitly said he'd come back, and Cain's character arc left a lot of questions unanswered as well.

That said I still haven't developed an opinion on whether the sequel was a good idea. Someone on thelifestream.net pointed out how closely various plot elements of the sequel resemble the plot of the original game
    I took Zeromus' "return" statement as more of a symbolic gesture than a literal threat. I felt IV mostly wrapped up everything concerning the characters. Maybe not Kain, but his ending seemed rather fitting and I find more enjoyment of dreaming of the possibilities than seeing him return in a sequel as the angsty loner. I just don't see enough plot elements to come up with a real sequel idea and the game also nailed my one of my taboos about sequels: Bringing a kid into it. I'm not interested in FFIV: The Next Generation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Someone on thelifestream.net pointed out how closely various plot elements of the sequel resemble the plot of the original game
    Why does that remind me of Metal Gear Solid 2?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hell, Crisis Core

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Well, I'm totally buying it. And I bet I'll love it.

Episodic format?

I really hope that you don't have to keep using up Wii Points to buy all the episodes.