Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 'WATCHMEN' Movie thread (MARK YOUR SPOILERS!)

That's the thing, though. It always seemed to me, while reading the comic again and again in the last 8 years, that the alternate reality of Nixon using The Comedian and Doc Manhattan to stay in office and keep the rest of the world afraid of America would bring about a similar, if not worse, type of hatred from the rest of the world. Which is most obvious by the fact that, while the real Cold War was still pretty smurfing bad at times, the Cold War of the comic was much worse, in that nuclear apocalypse was inevitable, (SPOILER)the moment Doc Manhattan was taken out of the picture.

EDIT: YouTube - Saturday Morning Watchmen
    Last edited by Winter Nights; 03-10-2009 at 08:41 AM.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

That certainly is a possibility. Honestly though, I think it's difficult to say for certain the world would react that way. If ten million of our people died, I think the rest of the world would be pretty sympathetic no matter the cause; they were immediately after 9/11 as well, and the CIA trained most of the mujahideen in Afghanistan as well, though that fact wasn't as widely publicised as (SPOILER)the fact that Dr Manhattan was a US creation would've been. It's easy to forget that there was international goodwill after 9/11 because Bush squandered it so quickly, but it's an important fact to consider.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

True enough. I guess it would depend on what you think your own reaction would be in that circumstance, as to whether or not the ending works for you. Personally, if I was a Russian politician during something like that, my gut reaction would be to hold America partially, if not equally responsible, for the reasons I gave above. But, someone else in those shoes might not.
    Last edited by Winter Nights; 03-10-2009 at 10:16 AM.

I'd probably hold America partially responsible, but nowhere near enough to start a nuclear war with them. Then again I doubt I'd hold America responsible enough to start a nuclear war even if I thought they were completely responsible, so

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I don't think whether or not the rest of the world is sympathetic to the United States matters at all, really. (SPOILER)The point is that Dr. Manhattan has control over matter. I don't think anyone really would stop to point a finger when he appears to have just wiped several major cities completely off the map all across the globe simultaneously. The primary concern, I think, would be to unite against an overwhelming foe. (SPOILER)When faced against something that can quite simply blink you out of existence and has no known weakness, I don't think anyone can afford to be stupid enough to hold grudges.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I'd probably hold America partially responsible, but nowhere near enough to start a nuclear war with them. Then again I doubt I'd hold America responsible enough to start a nuclear war even if I thought they were completely responsible, so
    I'm not really saying that Russia and America wouldn't put their differences aside to deal with the new problem. Right after a global attack like that, it would be the most obvious step. I just don't think it would last very long. Not that the books ending gave a definite solution for peace. But, as I said above, the movie's version leaves us with the world banding together to clean up "America's mess". Hostility would likely re-emerge far quicker in the movie's world, than in the book's, due to that alone. I just don't buy the supposed (SPOILER)"smartest man in the world" seeing this as a definite solution. The book's version at least gave a chance, however slim, that the Cold War could be over. The movie's version left too much room for resurgence, by making the attacker (SPOILER)someone of this world, god-like powers or not.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah I agree completely with Autumn Rain. It would bring a temporary peace, but people forget things quickly.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

True enough, but I honestly didn't get the certain impression that the (SPOILER)supposed alien attack would have brought about a permanent peace either.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well the point is that (SPOILER)the alien attack is entirely foreign, while Doc was created by the US. Once people get over the initial shock that will be the crucial difference.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Just got back from the movie. I've never read the graphic novel.

(SPOILER)The movie was epic. On par with any of the Lord of the Rings movies easily. Great music, casting, and pace in my opinion. The only gripe I had was the hitch that a few of you touched on already. The ending presumes peace comes about because there is a common world enemy in Dr. M. However, if he just goes to another solar system that same day, who the hell is gonna care about him any more? Russia would be back at the power struggle within a year in my opinion. But again. Alternate history, fictional work, blah blah. It's forgivable.

Rorschach was ShlupxAaronluvluv great, but my favorite character was actually Ozymandius.

Edit: Are you kidding me? I typed fl ipp in' and it turned into ShlupxAaronluvluv. You people are sick.

ShlupxAaronluvluv

wut.

This thread is now about flip pin' turning into ShlupxAaronluvluv. WTF.

When was that even installed? And why the hell did I never know about it?

Maybe this is all some part of great wager between Shlup and BoB to see who and when the first time "flip pin'" would actually be typed by someone.

WELL, IT'S OVER. I WIN.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I had to guess a time it was created, I would say around the time Napoleon Dynamite came out. Just a guess.