Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The 'WATCHMEN' Movie thread (MARK YOUR SPOILERS!)

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's about as old as Chuck Norris, I think.

Looks like it's already been retired

also it's been typed before, see for instance here. And now that I've bothered searching it looks like there was an entire thread about it as well.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Well I haven't been here in ages so shut up. The Watchmen was awesome.

I can't wait to see all of those annoying posts deleted. That was pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    (SPOILER)The ending presumes peace comes about because there is a common world enemy in Dr. M. However, if he just goes to another solar system that same day, who the hell is gonna care about him any more? Russia would be back at the power struggle within a year in my opinion.
    I was just this second thinking on this. (SPOILER)If information is leaked to the U.S. government that Manhattan has moved to mars, they can spread propaganda that he is preparing something big enough to destroy the world in one strike. Maybe there's hope that this would keep the world on its toes.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Didn't Snyder or someone else say that if the movie did well enough then he'll release an extended version during the Summer? I think that's a good idea since the movie lacked emotional attachment. There is too much in the novel to be covered in 2 and a half hours. Newcomers would be confused or overhwelmed by the events because they happened so quickly in the movie and I think they need to something about a couple of those song choices they put in. When it releases on DVD I hope they can step up on it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't think newcomers who were overwhelmed by the two and a half hour version are going to be pacified by an extended version. That's a long time to be sitting in a theater.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I did not really enjoy it all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I don't think newcomers who were overwhelmed by the two and a half hour version are going to be pacified by an extended version. That's a long time to be sitting in a theater.
    which is way I said I hope on the DVD it's extended or it would have been better if the movie was split into two.

I was very satisfied with the movie. I felt that what they cut out ((SPOILER)the whole Shea comic book writer alien explosion thing would've been extremely difficult to explain within the timeframe of a normal movie) is for the most part understandable. I really liked how (SPOILER)although they pretty much circumvented the whole Shea thing, and as a result, the relationship between the news vendor and Bernie, they kept in the image of them hugging at the time of the explosion. I thought that was pretty awesome. I'd just finished re-reading Watchmen a few days before, and was pleased to notice that a very good portion of the film was word-for-word from the novel. That was pretty awesome. All the characters looked pretty much identical to how they appeared in the comic, so that was pretty impressive (although doing casting by appearance for a comic is certainly less impressive than doing it for a regular novel, where the characters' appearances are largely up to the imagination of the reader). I think that Moore, if he ever sees the film (probably not) would be satisfied with the faithfulness of the adaption. I would like to see his reaction to (SPOILER)the changing around of the details of the ending, however .

Now that I've had about a week to digest my thoughts, I think my single biggest gripe is with the removal (well, truncation) of Manhattan's final confrontation with Ozymandias. (SPOILER)By removing a scene that very clearly demonstrates that Ozy is punished for his actions with uncertainty, they removed a significant portion of the impact of the original ending. The change of Rorschach's origin story (really, the overall increase in gore for the sake of it) is my second biggest complaint, the MCR song is the third-biggest, and all other complaints seem like nitpicking.

So yeah, overall, not nearly as bad as it could've been, and I'll definitely watch it again before it leaves theatres. Still, could've been better.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

I thought it was mediocre to be honest. It could have been great, but there are some glaring flaws in the movie. One is that they were trying to hard to be faithful to the graphic novel. Dialogue in a comic doesn't translate well to a movie and I never felt like I was listening to actual people talking.

I reckon the actors were all forgettable also, except for Jackie Earle Haley who did a good job with Rorschach. I liked where they were going with Dr Manhatten to start with but he never really became an endearing character to me. I never understood why he considered himself a completely different entity from other human characters despite looking human and speaking English as well. And why is he able to remember so much about his previous life yet can't understand human nature once he became Dr Manhatten. And what the hell was the cancer thing all about in the middle of the movie? Plus they never explained what Rorschachs face was all about, why were there ink splotches moving around his mask. I heard they explain it in the novel but thats no excuse for the movie not explaining it. Also I never understood the importance of (SPOILER)The Comedian dying at the start.

The music selection was also dreadful. It takes too much attention off certain scenes and turns a movie which should remain serious into parody material. The film could have done with a regular film score, no doubt about that.

Other than that I enjoyed some aspects of the film. Some of the action scenes were so OTT that I enjoyed them. And there were some cool shots like when (SPOILER)New York got split in half. I also picked up on some nods to Akira, dunno whether they were intentional but when (SPOILER)Dr Manhatten blew up two guys reminded me of when Kaneda did the same in Akira And there is a shot near the end of Watchmen which reminded me of Tokyo blowing up in Akira. The similarities between the two movies stories is also quite interesting when you take these into account.

(SPOILER)The Comedian had to be killed for several reasons. One was that he was an arrogant and perverted sadist who treated life as one big joke. Another was a fact mentioned by Ozymandias: Comedian found out about his plot first.
    Plotwise, it was the spark that ignited Rorshach's hunt for a Hero-killer. The Keane Act outlawed all heroes aside from Eddy and Manhattan. Ozymandias clearly didn't expect that anyone would investigate Eddy's death as he only orchestrated his own assassination after Rorshach warned him of his suspicions. That means that supposedly, once Eddy was out of the picture, no one would fall upon any hint of Adrian's schemes. Even Manhattan was no threat as he was becoming detached from humanity.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

He said he understood that and to dreddz I can understand your reasoning for the opinion on the movie I suggest that you read the graphic novel or maybe wait until it comes on DVD because I heard that the film will be extended.