Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1up's Best Boss Battles Ever

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default 1up's Best Boss Battles Ever

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3173294

1up has just recently wrote an article on their favorite 25 boss battles. I haven't played most of the games they have on their, but I would like to express my opinion on those that I have played.

I'm not really sure if the battle with Jecht in X should be on there. It's been a while since I played the game for the first time and it's also probably because every time after my first playthrough I ridiculously power up everyone so Jecht seems pretty easy. I think the first time I played him he seemed pretty difficult, but the battle didn't really stand out for me.

I also think that Galaxy's final battle shouldn't be on there. It's too easy and it ended way too quickly for me. If they were going to pick a galaxy one or a mrio one I think it should be either that rock ghost from galaxy or the final boss from Yoshi's Island.

I do agree however with FFVIII's Ultimecia. It was a damn epic battle the first time I played it and it still is if you didn't over level your characters before you got to her.

Default Commenting on the ones I've played

Jecht was decent. I like it when FF final battles has different phases and Jecht has two and then there's the battles against the possessed Aoens and Yu Yevon, which is merely symbolic. It rounds up the story in a great way. And gives you the feelig that you've stopped Sin. For good.

I didn't like God of War, but the Hydra battle was quite entertaining as it was the first boss fight in the game. The rest was just more of the same.

FFVIII was my first and naturally Ultimecia the first FF final boss I faced. And what a battle. She's beautiful and grotesque at the same time and she really gave me a challenge the first time I fought her 'cause I hadn't realized that you shouldn't level up. So she had loads of HP which stretched the battle for 40 mins, but when I defeated her and one of the most beautiful FF ending movies follows, i really felt rewarded.

The Colossi was great. First find their weak points, then find a way to get to get there, then trying to get there and then you see the health gauge drop only to find that this spot is only one of many, and there are even more spots on the hard difficulty. Not to mention that you feel a little selfish taking down something that beautiful for your own gain.
    "Guchi-guchi" said the little baby, and his mom mistakingly bought him an expensive bag

Surprisingly good list. Glad they got Seven Force from Gunstar Heroes in there. Although the Spiderman & Batman fight in Revenge of Shinobi is really just a novelty. Pretty much any boss from Shinobi III is better in my opinion.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Oh yeah, i forgot I played God of War. That battle was okay for me, I'm not sure if they were counting the last bit where you fought three heads at once, either way I thought it was just okay.

I was sort of angry that Chrono Trigger was in there, not that i necessarily disagree, but it brought back meories of how i couldn't even beat the boss before the last in the game. I always die in one hit. I think making a list like this is pretty hard since finding a boss battle that stands out is pretty arduous.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Of course, Shadow of the Colossus is there. I like how they made sure they specified it was all of them.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

On most of my playthroughs Jecht was either the easiest boss or the hardest boss in the game for me xD

I think the arena and all of the emotion is what makes it a good boss battle

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I'm happy have the Ultimecia fight there, that was epic.

Str8 Pimpin'

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

+ Sin & Punishment where the final boss is The Earth.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lacarus View Post
    I didn't like God of War
    W. T. F. I. W. W. Y.
    Srrsly. Impossible.

That list was okay ... I haven't played a fair few of the games, but I definitely agree that Giygas, Ugh Zahn, Ultimecia, the Origin, the Hydra, Seven Force, Lavos, and Hitler are all pretty sick bosses.

I think Sephiroth should have been on there instead of Jecht, though ... I thought Jecht was kind of lame.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't care for the list, but then again, a few of titles I never played before so I guess I have no place to talk. I love the Colossi and The Boss being there. I'm surprised Psycho Mantis wasn't mentioned. Mother Brain from Super Metroid was also nice to see on there. Can't say I'm happy with Jecht cause outside of the music and the visuals I never found it to be a great battle. The fact you spend the first half of the battle hurting his feelings makes me feel it loses credibility. Ultimecia I have mix feelings on. Generally, I don't feel most of the FF Final boss battles are really great; yet if I had to choose the most creative, I would actually give it to Ultimecia.

I'm surprised nothing from Devil May Cry series, Ninja Gaiden, RE4, or any fighting games were not mentioned.

I expected either Metal Gear REX or the final battle with Liquid from Metal Gear Solid 1 to be in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    I didn't like God of War
    W. T. F. I. W. W. Y.
    Srrsly. Impossible.
    Probably the most boring game I've ever played. And it was a copy of Devil May Cry: "Hey I'll collect red orbs so I can get stronger". I'm surpriced I'm the only one who realized that.
    "Guchi-guchi" said the little baby, and his mom mistakingly bought him an expensive bag

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

To see that there were some shmup bosses on there made me smile. I just wish they weren't all made by Treasure. :x

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    I didn't like God of War
    W. T. F. I. W. W. Y.
    Srrsly. Impossible.
    Probably the most boring game I've ever played. And it was a copy of Devil May Cry: "Hey I'll collect red orbs so I can get stronger". I'm surpriced I'm the only one who realized that.
    I was sceptic about God of War at first, but I got really enthousiastic at the part where you've (SPOILER)just gone through a whole lot of trouble to obtain pandora's box only to get killed by a giant pillar thrown through your chest. That dropped my jaw.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked the online alien invaders boss battle the best.

It showed this: