Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Cloud is Emo

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
    I feel like I played a game that's completely different from the game that you guys played.
    Lucky.

I never really got that impression of Cloud at all. Granted, he was somewhat broody [and did need such pep talks from time to time], but there are actually a lot of people just like that. Guilt/inner torment isn't always easy to conquer for us as humans. Also, I think people seriously don't understand how a lot of people would feel when you're thrust with problems like the kind he had. I'd say that for what he was dealt with and had to endure, he did well, and in the end he still conquered his inner demons. If he displayed no such emotional stress or sadness at all, he could easily come off as someone that just doesn't care or shows no emotive traits, which can actually be pretty boring.

I feel that any video game or anime character that expresses sadness or emotional stress over events like this gets automatically branded as "emo", but not everyone has a strong enough spirit to stand like a mountain in the face of such things and never falter for a second [though there are people like this, don't misunderstand me]. Personally, I would be annoyed with a protagonist that never showed any sort of emotion like that.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think I'd be pretty darn depressed if I found out that like 5 years of my life was spent living as someone else. It's like calling a baby emo because it cries all the time; it's just been exposed to a whole new world and has no freaking idea what's going on, what the smurf do you expect?

Cloud is not emo, but Cloud has a pessimistic streak after he realises the truth. Before then, he was quite focused and determined (arguably because of the pull of Sephiroth).

And he feels responsible for Aeris' death. That would make even the toughest person feel pretty ty. I don't blame him for wanting to be alone, and AC basically helped him realise he needs to finish mourning, and stop blaming himself.

That is all.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Yup, he is.

Dont deny it, fools!

maybe i do have a bad atitude toward emo people but thats becase any person i have ever met who calls them self emo is the bigest pain in the a## ive ever meet and then when people call cloud emo its ment as an insolt to the game and any one who likes the game in geniral any im by no stretch of the imagination an emo cant stand some of the emos ive meet and maybe they wernt real emos but thay seemed to embrace that lable and tryed every thing in there power to fit into that staryotype so i have no love lost with emo people and in my opinion cloud was not an emo person nor was he a nice guy i always liked how he espacaly in the begining of the game seemed quiet and focused he didnt join up with avalanch to save the world at first it was just another job to him with a paycheck in the end but over time people change and so did cloud and it seems to me people lable cloud as an emo becase of his character growth seems to go by the end of the game to a person who is regretful of his past but to me it seemed less of regret but more of cloud in the end of ff7 and in AC was not a regretful person but more of some one lost loking for a way to atone for his past mishaps

In the game he's not. In the film he is.

He starts off as a very cool character in the game and then when he finds out the truth about Nibel he becomes a bit down in the dumps, but then he drags himself back up in the games final chapters and resolves to beat Sephiroth and save the world.

It's the film that's the problem as it just forsakes all the character growth Cloud as been through and casts him as an unlikeable 'woe me' git.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post

He starts off as a very cool character in the game and then when he finds out the truth about Nibel he becomes a bit down in the dumps, but then he drags himself back up in the games final chapters and resolves to beat Sephiroth and save the world.

It's the film that's the problem as it just forsakes all the character growth Cloud as been through and casts him as an unlikeable 'woe me' git.
    I agree with this, as long as you mean 'cool' as in he's calm and collected, and not the colloquial meaning of 'cool', which I do not find him to be at all. ;D

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is actually what I've been trying to say but The Turk says it better than I can, maybe cause I'm still in Troll mode for the competition...

To be honest, the Compilation doesn't do anything for Cloud's character. AC pretty much retconned most of his character growth from the game for no bloody reason and CC didn't do much to make him endearing either. I was actually pondering to myself, as I was replaying the game recently, if the reason why Cloud seemed more angsty and whiny was a result of the Compilation and Kingdom Hearts warping my perception of Cloud? I don't remember him annoying me as much in past playthroughs.

Cloud in Advent Children is def pretty black leather about everything, but the world that was left is pretty ty. I'm sure that took its toll and made him feel like he didn't do a very good job of saving everyone. And he lost his lego arms. That would depress the smurf out of me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know, outside of Midgard being wiped off the face of the planet; I feel VII's world is probably in better shape than the other FF worlds when the games were finished.

To be honest if I was in AC I'd probably be depressed too having to live in a world which had a colour palette of just white, pale black and washed-out grey.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be honest if I was in AC I'd probably be depressed too having to live in a world which had a colour palette of just white, pale black and washed-out grey.
    Especially considering how colorful the actual game was. They really should have had a scene where Cloud was venting his frustration at the Gold Saucer.

Advent Children's world is not totally terrible or anything, but he's watching kids die of a disease, everyone seems kinda poor and depressed, gravity apparently doesn't exist anymore, Rufus survived by ducking, and Tifa had a huge breast reduction. I'm sure in 2 years it's just... well, I think it falls with his video game personality to shoulder a bunch of responsibility and feel he's super weak and all, despite it not really being his fault.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 03-24-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Haha.

Well gravity has never existed in VII's world. I lost count of the amount of people of should have fallen to their death but didn't. Mt. Nibel must be made of sponge or something.

It could be that Cloud is depressed because all the kids are dying, though if it were me and Denzel died I'd pop a champagne cork, or that he's depressed due to Tifa's reduced boob size (fair enough) but he seems more sad about Zack and Aeris.

But doesn't he have some real emo conversation with Vincent about not being a hero or some BS like that? You just saved the fricking world!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

LOL Noctiluca!

Yes, he actually spends most of the film whining about Aerith and Zack. I don't think he ever really talked about dying or even mentioned the kids at all. He just used the disease as an excuse to get away from Tifa and the children. Most of his actions in the film seem to be him dwelling on the idea that the two happiest people from FFVII hate him.

Its really apparent when he talks to Vincent and they have their conversation about forgiveness. I thought it was rather amusing that Cloud finally stopped moping around after getting advice from the other most emo character in the game and being talked down to by a child.

Maybe Cloud is depressed cause he has to star in a silly sequel?