Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Rate me! (working on my manga)

I've been learning to draw from a book on manga for a bit of time (a couple of months, because I started on last summer and couldn's draw regularilly, because it's my final year in high school and I have a lot of studying to do) and I wanted you guys to tell me if I was making any progress. Now here's the link to the Kingdom Hearts Interactive Story, in which I used to post my bits of story as well as my concept art. On the first page you can find my original concepts for Dixos and Xyptrak (they're not posted by me, I believe CeletsialStarDust posted all of the pictures from the previous thread, which got closed), and you can find a group pic and the rest of the other Organization members' concepts later on.
    For comparison, I attach a freshly done goup pic sketch (I intend to ink and colour this one), a sheet of portrait sketches (complete with chibi counterparts) and character sketches...
    Let me knoiw ehether I've made any progress! (the sketches from the original KHIS are about a year - year and a half old)

P.S. Hexra's a guy.
    P.S.S. Sorry if I picked the wrong prefix - I'm new to this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Five more...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And the remaining pic (damn you, attachment limit!)...

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Magical drawing tipz!

Polykarbon: Tutorials!

V. good, even if he is off sometimes everything he says is true and the steps are good to use when starting out.

Welcome to Manga University -- How to Draw Manga

Your book is probably from this company. If it isn't, consider getting some because they are DA BEST. They have one or two fun, simple tutorials on here.

Anyway, I really like what you have so far. Try to be a bit bolder with your lines and use fewer strokes. Your faces have nice character: obviously you are good at 3/4 view, practise profiles and front views I guess. Don't worry about upwards and downwards angles yet. Great stuff!

Also this will sound dull, but try not to limit yourself to trying to create TEH MANGA, because it'll just end up looking like everyone else's. Draw wonderful manga-influenced characters and let your style lead you wherever you want to go.
    Last edited by scrumpleberry; 03-22-2009 at 01:34 AM.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

your peeps are a little short this might be on the polykarbon site (one of my favorites <3) but make your legs more or less four heads tall and the torso two more. (while you mull this over, bend your legs back and notice how closely your feet come to your butt, then bend forward and see how closely your chin fits your knees. Admit it, it's true)

your characters have plenty of personality it looks like, so just stretch out those proportions (unless you're going for a super deformed style, but if that's the case, you might want to deform them even more!) and clean up your linework mainly.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks for the advice

Anyway, the book I'm using is Bruce Lewsis' Draw Manga - in your own unique style. Ya think it's any good?

(And no, rubah, I want to draw SD characters only occassionally, and these guys were supposed to be proportionate, so I'll work on that. Thanks )

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

I wouldn't know, I haven't read it. If you like it, use it by all means.

This series and this series are the books that I've used. The only thing that's weak about them is patchy translation at times. Obviously I only have one or two as there's hundreds in the series, but they're really extremely good. I have a couple of other how to draw manga books, but they don't measure up.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like my book and it had some good reviews, so I'm going to stick with it, but thanks for the links anyway I might try out both the online tutorials as well as the books you mention as soon as I finish with the book I have.
    I'll be updating this thread with new drawings when I have time to draw, so be sure to take a look at them and judge me

not that drug dealer CelestialStarDust's Avatar

yay khis!!!ah you make me want to draw again

Catapultam habeo.Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis,ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Blog Entries

Instead of going for whole bodies straight away, practice on the parts you're weakest at, like the face and the hands. Draw parts of the body to learn the anatomy and how muscles work together. Also try to start off with drawing aline of action so you know how the body is going to flow.

And if anything, mark out your hights for people, that way you don't get out of proportion parts. A regular guy is usually 7 heads high, a hero 8 heads high and anti heroes are 10 heads high.

I've read a lot of book, I have tons and a common thing with a lot of them is they expect you to already know the basic anatomy stuff. So it's all well and good to have this book, but if it doesn't show the basics, you really aren't going to learn anything.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

Blog Entries

stu is right, a lot of it is practice, practice, practice and knowing basic things like shapes, anatomy, etc.

i would say, practice drawing what you see, every chance you get. no matter where you are continue drawing until your arm falls off. draw people, draw animals, draw buildings but draw. it's the *only* way you are going to learn anything and or get better.
    now safe beneath their wisdom, and their feet;
    here i will teach you truly how, to sleep.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
    Instead of going for whole bodies straight away, practice on the parts you're weakest at, like the face and the hands. Draw parts of the body to learn the anatomy and how muscles work together. Also try to start off with drawing aline of action so you know how the body is going to flow.

And if anything, mark out your hights for people, that way you don't get out of proportion parts. A regular guy is usually 7 heads high, a hero 8 heads high and anti heroes are 10 heads high.

I've read a lot of book, I have tons and a common thing with a lot of them is they expect you to already know the basic anatomy stuff. So it's all well and good to have this book, but if it doesn't show the basics, you really aren't going to learn anything.
    Well, the book I have starts off with the basics. And yes, I know I should practice drawing from real life as much as I can (that's what the book tells me to start with) so I do that too. I think I've improved at least a bit since I started learning from this book and I still want to improve more. So thank you all for the advice - gonna be mighty helpful and I sure hope there's more where that came from

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Keep drawing buddy, you`ll eventually get better.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..