Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Darkswordofchaos View Post
    Lol thanx yall seem to think it is pretty good and if its said on EoFF its got to be true. im gona start playing it tonight.
    You'd better!

Chocobo yah

i would say it is one of the best games from back in the day. i just want a remake sence they been doing alot.:mog:
    nick wilson

Articles
    Blog Entries

it suxxors!

it has dum grafics and teh music and storys make no sence!

It's okay. I still need to finish it, but I prefer Chrono Cross by leaps and bounds.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The general concensus is that the majority of the fanbase prefers Chrono Trigger over Chrono Cross, but that Chrono Cross is a good game in its own right. I would strongly recommend playing Chrono Trigger and, at least, trying Chrono Cross.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

CT is epic with an awesome main theme. CC was a very interesting game with a nice fighting style.

Chrono Trigger was the first game I ever sat down and actually played. (I say first because I never actually "sat down" to play Barbie or Duck Hunt...) That being said, and having played countless RPGs since, I still consider CT the best RPG I've ever played. The SNES version is the best, in my opinion, so if you can get a hold of that, that will be prime. The PS1 version was TERRIBLE because of the solid three second load time just to get to the freaking menu, and I'm not too fond of the DS version because of the alternate translation. (Fiendlord? Really?) It just doesn't sound right to me since I've played through the SNES version so many times and have come to expect precisely the same words.

Chrono Cross held it's glory for me mostly because of all the Chrono Trigger references. Maybe it was just because of the time, and my parents didn't let me go on the internet back then, but nobody I knew played video games. If I had come across one or two people that had, they definitely hadn't heard anything about a "Chrono Trigger". That being the case, I felt like when I got Chrono Cross, all the references to CT were special; one could even say for me. It was a good game, of course, but the references were well placed.

But no, really. For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over - - Play Chrono Trigger now, and give Chrono Cross a shot, like Roogle said. It's not time wasted.

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.

i actualy prefer the new translation, and i too have been playing since it came out on SNES, so much that i have seen every ending possible on the SNES and PSone versions... anyway i feel the newer translation is far better than the Woolsey translation as it's now closer to the original japanese script, i'm glad they fixed the alcohol referances and removed Frogs dialect, he's actualy likable now, when in Woolsey's translation he was mearly annoying as no one else in his time period spoke like that... i also like that the commoners refer to Magus as the Fiendlord adding a bit of mystery to the character and shows that the commoners dare not speak his name possibly in fear of summoning the dreaded Fiendlord himself by doing so, playing on midevil superstitions where they believed that by uttering a demons name summoned said demon...

Blog Entries

Just about the best Square game ever.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It was way ahead of its time. It overshadows most other RPG's on the SNES, and paved the way for when Kitase/Nomura/<T2> Takahashi/Ken Narita and them finished up working on Chrono Trigger and began work on Final Fantasy VII. Actually, FFVII is alot more like Chrono Trigger than it is like Final Fantasy VI. The visuals, music, story, and gameplay all stand out as the best that generation of RPG's have to offer.

However, I'm going to stand up and tell you it's one of those 16-bit RPG's that gets overrated by the Japanese-Enthusiast American crowd who played SNES video games at the time. There've been plenty of much better games to come out after it.

That's not to say it isn't great, and any fan of the genre owes it to themself to play it to understand notable games in history.

I think the middle option in the poll sums this game up nicely. Its a good game, ahead of its time for sure, but not the be all end all of JRPG's. As far as 16-bit RPG's go I reckon FFVI is the one sitting highest on the podium.

I'm gonna have to go with the other 30 voters in this poll [I'm the 31st] that went with the first choice and say that it was a really great RPG, despite the fact that Akira Toriyama did the character designs. This in no way undermines FF VI, but its success can't be denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaridovich View Post
    It's okay. I still need to finish it, but I prefer Chrono Cross by leaps and bounds.
    Hm, leaps and bounds? I really enjoyed Chrono Cross, but I detested their battle music. It sounded like some kind of dance. It was one of my favourites though. And plus, Serge is a hottie, even if he is quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    The general concensus is that the majority of the fanbase prefers Chrono Trigger over Chrono Cross, but that Chrono Cross is a good game in its own right. I would strongly recommend playing Chrono Trigger and, at least, trying Chrono Cross.
    I'd say more than just give Chrono Cross a try. The story of Chrono Cross had a great scope, I thought it was beautifully done.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Khalin View Post
    I'd say more than just give Chrono Cross a try. The story of Chrono Cross had a great scope, I thought it was beautifully done.
    I have trouble recommending a game where everyone and their mother joins the party, literally. I agree that the story was beautifully done and that there are memorable storyline points and characters, but I was not a fan of the gameplay and that can be a deciding factor for many people wanting to try a new game.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

the thing about being able to recruite all those characters is that most of them are optional, you do not have to recruit all of them or even half of them if you do not want to... i always took it that the creators aproached that aspect by hearing players say "_____ was so awesome, why could we not have the option to play them?" so they added the option to recruit many unique characters, if you wanted to...

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    I have trouble recommending a game where everyone and their mother joins the party, literally. I agree that the story was beautifully done and that there are memorable storyline points and characters, but I was not a fan of the gameplay and that can be a deciding factor for many people wanting to try a new game.
    I agree, but I try to ignore those silly excess characters and just stick with the cool ones [it's all about SergexGlenn]. Glenn's a kickass cutie and Harle's just awesome. I don't think anybody uses that fat lady anyways. Besides, all the characters end up being more-or-less the same anyways[sorta like FF VII], so I never understood the point of giving such a huge roster.