Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Aspects of FFVII

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default Favourite Aspects of FFVII

(Probably) For the Troll Competition

I've always been a fan of the really deep character development involved in some of the supporting cast like Reeve and Dio. I think it's great that the developers took advantage of the 'buy one, get 700 free' offer that was clearly on when they were picking characters out of the "oh no I've got a really dark mysterious past involving PAIN" (bargain) bin. Way to go, guys. Throw in the characters that even Dragonball Z and Clayfighter 63 1/3 wouldn't touch because they were too rancid and having been spawned from the diseased udder of the intellectual equals of Pamela Anderson.

The graphics are bloody great too. Given the characters are aimed at six year olds, I thought it was really good how they designed the characters to look like Naruto crossed with Lego. Is that a polygon in your hair or are you just pleased to see me, Cloud? Pleased to see me, a guy, because clearly Cloud along with 99% of the rest of the cast are homosexual. That 1% being Don Corneo who is clearly a Freudian metaphor for the problems of society, which is exactly the kind of 'I've had two Psychology lessons and half a lesson of Creative Writing at a liberal arts college' train of thought that the developers were high-fiving themselves over. Oh, and Corneo's gay too. I mean, the entire game is just the developers projecting their own fantasies into a computer game. Though 'game' is a misleading term, as it suggests that it's enjoyable. 'Sister Ray' - Yeah, no prizes for guessing what the developers had in mind when they designed that. I bet you felt really inadequate when you saw the Midgar Zolom.

But the music's good, isn't it? Especially if you fancy a change from listening to Limp Bizkit, Sum 41 or My Chemical Romance. Katy Perry seeming a bit highbrow for you? Why not dip into this games' music? Roll over, Beethoven. Take a hike, Handel. Back away, Bach. You're for the chop, Chopin. Nobuo Uematsu and his masterpiece 'one winged angel' is in town. Let's throw in a chorus, that makes it deep and meaningful. Just look at the Duel of the Fates. That really made The Phantom Menace a good film, right? And that's what FFVII is, The Phantom Menace of RPGs. I mean, I have some sympathy for Uematsu. You know, he knows his audience, which is a bunch of idiots who think that Beethoven is a dog, that Pink Floyd is a type of alcopop and that Electric Light Orchestra is a subsidiary of Bed, Bath and Beyond.

You know, I was going to talk about the ty plot too, but I really can't be bothered. Why are you still talking about this game? Why does anyone even care? Get a life, for God's sake and take an interest in something other than RPGs. Go play some sports or get an interest in politics or something.

Oh, and having a 'Obama-Biden' t-shirt that you wear on your way to your Anime Convention because your mum wouldn't let you go out dressed as Vincent 'I like Bullet for my' Valentine doesn't count.

So what's your favourite aspect of this pathetic excuse for a game?
    Last edited by Heath; 03-29-2009 at 08:03 PM.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like the big swords.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

being able to turn off the poor excuse for a game, and throw it in the bin
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I was thinking what my favorite part of the game was, when I suddenly realized that Squall is Cloud’s father.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

The only thing about FFVII that ever really interested me was JENOVA.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Some of us like legos.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I don't where the hell you got some of the stuff like good graphics and everyone, but Cloud and Corneo are homosexuals. I forgot who Dio was, was he significant?

The only thing I liked about the game was the disaster opening where you first woke up as Tifa and the travel inside Cloud's mind. The battles were okay. That's about all the game did for me.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 03-30-2009 at 02:58 AM.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The overworld theme was freaking fantastic. Easily my favorite Final Fantasy song ever.

The rest of the game is tbqf

I actually really liked the materia system.

And....I LOVED the story

yup, the materia system is still unrivaled to this day, best system yet, the limit system was good also but X did it better by allowing you to choose under which conditions the limit bar filled... the story is also excelent, but to fully grasp it you need to read, play, & watch every installment, including games, movies, books, & Ultimanias, the FF VII 10th Aniversary Ultimania really puts the whole plotline into perspective... it also requires an open mind to realize this is actualy a story involving multiple perspectives, and no other installments really hurt the validity of the original game, they're just different points of view...

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

(Still be trollin')

Sorry, guys. Was a bit busy not having my brain cells smother themselves to read all your posts. Posts #2, #3, #6 - rearrange the following because of your ty censor: lt;rd

JENOVA was the biggest cop-out ever. How long did they spend making this game? 2 years? Was that 17 months, feet up on desks playing Solitaire and 1 month thinking "hang on, we need a twist at the end of the game. How about Sephiroth isn't Sephiroth?" They should've made JENOVA turn out to be Cait Sith or Gore Vidal. That would've been a better twist.

The materia system was a stupid. It's so open to abuse that by the end of disc one, you're pretty much set for the rest of the game. The stat downgrades as a result of magic are so immaterial that it makes no difference at all if you fill up Cloud with magic materia because he'll still do good damage. The game is too easy, plain simple and the game offers no real consequences for you just doing whatever.

And having to use the ultimania and look at the books and stuff is just a cop-out. A lot of it is just stuff they tacked on to make shedloads of money. It's as if Square were doing experiments to see how many different forms of tripe they could sell. The fact that I managed to sit through Advent Children without locking myself in a disused fridge, with only a copy of The Old Man and the Sea for company, strikes me as the pinnacle of my pain threshold and my ability to resist even the highest of temptations. If it's part of the story, then put it in the smurfing game. I don't want to have to buy other crap just so I can understand one story. It's as if the story was written by Stephanie Meyers.

Oh, and as far as I was aware the "disaster opening" is the start of disc one when you start a new game and you realise that what you're playing isn't Tomb Raider 2, which is an infinitesimally better game.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    The materia system was a stupid.
    :confused:

So, by FFVII being my favorite in the series, what have I done wrong? Why can't you let people like the games that they want?
    Currently Playing:
    STARCRAFT II: WINGS OF LIBERTY for PC

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

People can like any games they want, just as long as they're not pieces of like this waste of game shelf space.

wow iv never heard so much slander towards this game in my life?! its actually a refreshing change of scenery and dialect.

No offence but do you spend quite the time writing out your posts and using these on going 'custom quotations' ? i like it to an extent. i just feel your trying to live up to your reputation whatever that may-be from previous post throughout the forum (and no im not having a go or being a cockend fudgepacker) curious is all..?

but Hatred towards this game? fair enough opinions are a sacred thing and cause conflict between many lol but i mean i dont know how u can say is a waste of game and shelf space? fair play i didnt think much of the materia system i prefered 8 and 9 to be fair on that sense, a little more straight forward and navigational, but the story was good! involving, and deep!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I wish my legos looked like FFVII