Thread: Kings

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Kings

Time for me to pimp out another show I'm scared will be canceled soon.

Kings (Sundays on NBC) is modern retelling of the story of Biblical story of King David. Sounds cheesy, right? Well, it is kinda. But cheesy in a grand and magnificent way. Honestly, the production value on this show is insane. I'd say that the show was something of a mix between the West Wing (the political aspect), The Sopranos (the murder/intrigue aspect), and Battlestar Galactica (the alternate world aspect).

It's been awhile since I've seen a show as ambitious as this one. It's like they knew their idea was way out there and instead of shying away from it, they charged head on.

There are parts of the show that are definitely soap opera-ish, but they take on these could-be-cheesy scenes with such determination that it's really quite fun to watch. And the acting is really kinda brilliant. It's also a beautiful show to LOOK AT. Sooo pretty.

It's not a super omfg amazing show, but it's just so different from everything else out there right now that I'm hooked. And because it's so different, I'm afraid it won't find it's audience. The numbers aren't looking so good. It's only getting about 6 million viewers a week.

Give it a chance, people! Watch it!

Hey M =P. Didn't even know about this show till your post. I'm gonna check it out, sounds really interesting. I don't really watch the tube (unless Fraiser is on).
    Yeah, but let's be honest, a show about the King David...based on what it says on the Bible...there are far to many atheist out there for that. Sad, but true, the good stuff always gets cancelled.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's really not overly Biblical. It's a monarchy so there is the divine influence but it's not overdone at all. In fact, the King David stuff is so much mixed in with everything else that's going on that I didn't even pick up on it until Miriel told me.

I think this show is really good and unique so of course it will be canceled. It's on NBC and they tend to stick with their shows longer than other networks so we'll see.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    In fact, the King David stuff is so much mixed in with everything else that's going on that I didn't even pick up on it until Miriel told me.
    Don't you just love those hidden meanings, loads of social undertones strapped with references to things you should know but sadly don't?

I watched the two hour opener on Hulu and enjoyed it. I have it in my queue and hopefully I can watch the rest of the episodes that are up there before they get taken down. It was pretty interesting.

I think this show is really good and unique so of course it will be canceled. It's on NBC and they tend to stick with their shows longer than other networks so we'll see.
    True. If they didn't The Office and 30 Rock would already have been canceled.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh cool. An actor I worked with told me he's in this, so I think I will watch it just to see him.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I just want to say, this show was amazing and smurf you NBC for smurfing this one up. It's not like it was America's fault this time. No one ever SAW this show in the first place because NBC sucks at promoting shows that aren't stupid like My Name is Earl or Law & Order: STFU.

At least ABC gave Pushing Daisies a chance and put it in a good time slot with decent promos. And it had the ratings at first but they just slipped away. America is to blame there. Kings never had the ratings in the first place because no one knew about it! Hell I didn't either until Miriel told me about it. (god I hate calling her that)

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I just want to say, this show was amazing and smurf you NBC for smurfing this one up. It's not like it was America's fault this time. No one ever SAW this show in the first place because NBC sucks at promoting shows that aren't stupid like My Name is Earl or Law & Order: STFU.

At least ABC gave Pushing Daisies a chance and put it in a good time slot with decent promos. And it had the ratings at first but they just slipped away. America is to blame there. Kings never had the ratings in the first place because no one knew about it! Hell I didn't either until Miriel told me about it. (god I hate calling her that)
    You should come up with a flattering nickname for her. Something catchy like Sugarlips or Commander Snugglepuss.

It's a shame that Kings was canceled. I haven't gotten around to watching it as my attention has been drawn to Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip but I have until the 20th of September to watch the episodes on Hulu. They have every one but two, I believe. The finale and an unaired episode.

TV is beginning to disappoint me. Good shows come and go yet trash like American Idol flourishes.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Reality T.V. is taking over unfortunately. Ian McShane went on Jon Stewart's show to promote it. That's the only promoting I saw for this show. Sad.