Thread: Final Fantasy: Farside (Manga in Progress)

Default Final Fantasy: Farside (Manga in Progress)

Title Page
    Page 1
    Page 2
    Page 3
    Page 4
    Page 5
    Page 6

Hello, y'all.

I'm currently working on a Final Fantasy manga, one that's planning on using as much of the Final Fantasy mythos as possible. It's not going to be ridiculously long, only about the length of an average manga one-shot, so around 30-40 pages. Continuation is possible, of course, if enough people ask for it.

The idea came to me when I was bored and doodling in my sketchbook; I've always enjoyed shounen battle manga, and Final Fantasy as well, so what if I tried mixing the two? Of course, many others probably thought the same way before, but it was a new idea to me. So I drew up a page, just to see if it would turn out right, and I fell in love with the idea.

I'm working on lined paper with a mechanical 0.5 pencil for sketches, and using fineliner as well as brush pens on top of that to create the manga-y feel. Manga panels as well as text and other effects will be added in Photoshop, once scanned. (I lack a scanner, and so I have to use a friend's.)

Here's the doodle page that I made up, just to give you guys an idea of what it would be like. Just keep in mind that during the making of this page, I had no proper idea about how the story would end up, and so probably the only thing that'll carry over is the Black Mage being the main character.

This one isn't perfect, however. I didn't scan it, instead using a camera for the lineart, which is the reason that the art seems skewed and the lines are slightly blurry.

finalfantasymanga.png picture by KnightOfLodis - Photobucket

And here's a photograph of the actual first page of the manga. No text or any effect of any kind has been added so far, so this is the manga in its rawest form.

badquality.png picture by KnightOfLodis - Photobucket

And yes, I know the incantation for the Flare spell is actually different, but I was doing it while bored and had absolutely no intention of posting it online. The fact that Flare is a non-elemental spell doesn't really help either.

So, any tips and suggestions? Constructive criticism would be very helpful, if there's enough here for you to criticize, of course.
    Last edited by Elagune; 04-18-2009 at 01:48 AM.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

I like it so far. I'd like to see some more and then maybe I could suggest some things :o

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Elagune View Post
    I'm currently working on a Final Fantasy manga
    >>> heh, looks like we are two..
    The art is very nice, my only suggestion/advise is that you dont quit the project. I say this because draw this stuff is tedious work and most of the time i ended giving it up.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

looks great, i'd like to see more
    and as a side comment, 'Last time you I was nothing more than a novice...' doesnt make sense
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Haha, I don't plan on quitting this project any time soon. Progress might be a little slow as I have a lot of things in my life right now, but I'll definitely finish it.

I have 10 pages done and scanned right now, and am editing them as I type this. 2 pages have been completely finished already, so I'll upload them now.

Page 1
    Page 2

There we go. The manga will consist of around 40-50 pages worth of material, and will be a self-contained story. The ending will be open to continuation, though, if there is enough demand for it.

Thanks for the replies, people!

Post ummm.......welll......

i realy hate to say it but as a start for a manga, that is crap (i am a manga connisuer)you need to do less meaningless things and work on the story. i'm very sorry. good job so far and try to work on coloring in the lines! <thats for scrumpleberry lol
    Last edited by thatoneguy; 04-12-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: ooopppssss....
    "you are a crazy insane ****head of a insane blueberry from mars" -keegan , one of my disturbed friends (about me) ............................
    .......................huh?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
    i realy hate to say it but as a start for a manga, that is crap (i am a manga connisuer)you need to do less meaningless things and work on the story. i'm very sorry. good job so far and try to work on coloring in the lines! :D <thats for="" scrumpleberry="" lol[="" quote]="">
    ...ever think that maybe those pages actually have something to do with the story? Way to be constructive. And you spelled connoisseur wrong, too.
    Anyway, your drawings are very good! I can see you're talented. Maybe show us a few more pages so we can get a good idea of what it's about?

</thats>
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Is the hat gonna be a character? =D

@thatoneguy: I don't understand your concept of meaningless things. Do you mean the pilot page and the page that shows the rough work before it's been touched up? Those things are just bonuses, it's not like they're taking away from anything. As for what you said about the start being crap, you're not really telling me why you think that way. Does jumping into the action not help? Is it the lack of context? Please be more specific when you're criticising me, so I can make things better.

@Rebellious Eagle: Thank you for your support. I have pages up to ten drawn up right now, but they're not completely finished yet. I have storyboards set up till page twenty-something, right now.

@arcanedude34: No, the hat isn't going to be a main character. I wanted the hat to have a face that mirrors Jack's emotions, but it didn't turn out that well.

Title Page
    Page 3
    Page 4
    Page 5
    Page 6

That is... really quite good-looking. You have piqued my interest, good sir (or lady?), and I hope to see more.

Thanks to Sagensyg for the sig!