Thread: Dissidia Tier List (Bleh)

Default Dissidia Tier List (Bleh)

From
    Dissidia Character Ranking (Discussion/Tier List) V5 - Dissidia: Final Fantasy Message Board for PSP - GameFAQs

---------------
    ---------------
    Exdeath Can block counter almost any attack in the game, there are quite a few characters that have 0 moves that'll pierce ALL Guard and even the characters that do have a move that'll pierce it only have 1 or 2, leaving anyone facing him with horribly limited options

Tidus Fast, His attacks incorporate dodging and almost all link to HP attacks, He has hard to punish HP attacks in the air with good tracking, He has a decent ranged attack, and his ExMode makes him a mage killer

Golbez his HP attacks that have some of the best offensive and defensive properties in the game, BP attacks that can still hit on block or whiff, he has ability to cover a huge amount of range, and he can combo into HP attacks

---------------
    High
    ---------------
    Kuja His BP game is safe, he has range, and his HP game if versatile and very solid offensively, Flare Star's tracking and hit box is just insane in some cases

Zidane Fast, good HP attacks that are bother versatile in properties and range covering all the major points, most BP attacks link to HP attacks, and he has a few attacks that are a pain to block on reaction

---------------
    Mid
    ---------------
    Jecht Awesome melee damage, Jecht block is one of the best defensive techniques in the game (it's only really second to All Guard), and his combos are brutal, but he lacks a ranged attack of any sort

Ultimecia All her BP attacks are chargeable and can punish people who attempt to block early, Knight Sword is cancelable if it whiffs and absolutely brutal close range, Knight axe/arrow also give her options vs long range characters, on top of that apocalypse is the best anti-air HP attack in the game

Firion Mage in the air, Melee on the ground, both solid with his magic having both short cast time and range and his Melee all linking into HP and having good range as well as other useful properties, and his barrier counter can also be used for some rather brutal strategies

Terra Meteor is ace in the hole, the attack can hit your enemy anywhere and gives you an opening to do a variety of other attacks, Meteor -> Holy Combo -> Ultima hits hard, on top of that Tornado is a good close range punisher and blizzard combo is a solid keep away move

Shantotto Her traps and ability to build BP make her awesome, her huge cool down if she misses and her lack of any notable melee is a huge negative though

Bartz Very solid BP and HP game (he has quite a few of the better moves other characters do), his attacks give him accessory properties, and Goblin Punch is a great way to guarantee an ExBurst or some HP damage. His only major flaw is the lack of a really consistent method of HP damage against some characters

Cloud of Darkness Good HP attacks, BP attacks work well offensively and defensively, If it wasn't for her start up on a lot of attacks she'd be a lot better

Cecil DK mode can combo into basically any ground attack from Dark Cannon and Paladin mode is able to link to Paladin force from searchlight as well as having some solid BP attacks with good tracking

Cloud He has some solid punishers (Climhazzard/Braver), a really good ExMode, and the ability to pump out quite a bit of damage in one attack (Climhazzard -> Slash Blow -> Omni V5), but he lacks safe BP options, and a majority of his BP attacks are blockable on reaction which relegates him to a really high risk/reward style of play

Gabranth Normal Gabranth is below par in almost all respect while ExMode Gabranth can be absolutely brutal, as a whole character he's a solid mid

---------------
    Low
    ---------------
    Squall Simply put, he is BP rape but he can't follow it with HP attacks well, His Ex mode is one of the best in the game giving him better range, more criticals and 2x the hits

Onion Knight His magic is really bad outside of ExMode and his Melee is pretty short range and predicatable, his true saving graces are his ability to link all his attacks to either BP or HP and his speed

Garland Decent mid range game with his HP attacks and ranged Melee, good normal melee BP damage due to his high attack stats, and solid HP attacks (Tornado + Blaze), he lacks speed, BP -> HP combos, and any truly good HP punishers

Warrior of Light Weak ranged game, absolutely average BP game, and some solid HP attacks, his only true quality that keeps him above bottom are his protective HP attack and his ability to link to HP attacks

---------------
    Bottom
    ---------------
    Sephiroth Best melee range in the game and an awesome EX builder, but his EX mode is one of the most generally "meh" in the game and his HP attacks are a ***** to hit with

Emperor Good use of Lightning Crest and Flare can make the emperor a ***** to hit and punish mistakes severely. His major flaw is a weakness to really fast characters that can avoid both techniques like Tidus and Zidaine and his really weak air game.

Kefka his magic his harder to dodge than some mages but he requires constant attacking and predictive play to hit good players, ExMode makes up for it a bit by making his attacks considerably harder to dodge but even so quite a few of his magics can be reflected/deflect via dashing
    Though Exdeath's position makes me really mad (nothing but a "lol destroy the world" character), I must say I'm really happy with Kefka's and Sephiroth's position. Then again, what I'm saying is really biased since I've never really liked villains in general. They barely have any depth or personality (besides enjoying destroying stuff) to them, so I hardly feel any regard for them. There are some exceptions though like Necrosaro and General Palpaleos. I know some people say that the same can be said for heroes, but at least they have a better background story than villains most of the time. Also, you don't see many villains putting their butt on the line to save their world, yet alone make sacrifices that will barely profit themselves in the end, do you?

On a more serious note though, I've never really liked the idea of tiers and I don't really let them affect what I think of characters (except for making me enjoy trashing the top tiers in fights all the more). As long as each character is strong in some areas and weak in others in a rather balanced way, that's enough for me to believe that each character is equal in terms of ability.

So what do you guys think of this tier list?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

While I completely disagree about villains (I happen to find them more interesting than heroes) that is not this threads topic and so we can discuss it another day.

I don't care for tier list, as I tend to disagree with most of them. I feel a good fighting game should be designed that the players skill level determines how good it is.

This list sounds a bit better than the Japanese one I read before:
    ffchaoticcosmos: Cosmos Character Rankings

ffchaoticcosmos: Chaos Character Rankings

...but at the same time I disagree with it alot. His bottom three are all Mind Game characters which sorta a tells me he doesn't care for them, though its amusing Ex-Death is in the top with this logic as he's the king of mind games due to his purely defensive fighting style.

Tidus always gets top billing cause he seems to be the most straight forward character in terms of fighting style and mechanics. Golbez doesn't surprise me either. I am a bit surprised that Kuja isn't in the top cause he seems to be like Tidus in the "easy to use, easy to abuse" strategy of game mechanics. Cecil being mid also surprises me.

I don't like Tier lists in fighting games. I prefer to find the characters I have the most fun with, and play them. Arbitrarily ranking characters in tiers detracts from the fun, in my opinion. Who cares if some characters might be slightly easier to play than others, or who might have more powerful/versatile techniques? It's a game, let's just have fun with it.

Oh, and nice job on totally slaughtering his rating style, Wolf. I hadn't actually read much into the ranks, but you're right, he's clearly letting his personal play style and preferences prejudice his judgement.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That is the other reason I don't care for Tier list cause everyone has their own criteria for the best.

I'm certain Tidus and Kuja are really easy to use and spam but I'm more interested in playing as characters like Cecil and Garland who seem more challenging to play correctly. Sephiroth and Kefka have some obvious flaws if you watch some gameplay videos but at the same time, a capable player can learn how to turn it into a strength.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I love tier lists in fighting games. This one seems to be more of a commentary and discussion rather than a tier list made on testing and frame data like in a traditional fighting game. I mean, a tier list for Street Fighter IV encompasses a lot of actual gameplay data rather than opinion and this tier list seems to be going off of basic traits of each character.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Ha, I already knew Tidus was awesome :P

I'm not surprised about Kefka, Kefka was never the fighter. I mean hell, the first times you fight him, he runs away, the second time you fight him, he CAN be hard, but it's only hard if you aren't leveled.
    He's really only threatening in god form.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to play as him though. =D

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He's not bad, this guy just thinks so. Kefka is a trick/pressure character.

His abilities have odd range and movement so its up to you to keep the opponent on his toes while you wear them down. He's for "chess" players who know they don't need a 10-second K.O. to feel good about themselves and prefer long drawn out mind games.

My favorite character, Tidus, is at the top

This game is a real sausage fest now that I look at this roster.

Assuming that tier list is accurate, I think it fits the games REALLY well. ExDeath and Golbez were very powerful bosses during the middle of the story.

You don't even fight Sephiroth until he starts mutating into the kill-the-solar-system-20-times monster form. Kefka was never particularly dangerous in-game, and his final form is pretty simple if you fought the previous three fights wisely. And the Emperor... I love him, but haha.

O.o

I've trained with all of them. Especially Sephiroth, Kuja and Terra. Kefka, Golbez and Mateus as well. I wonder how people can think of Sephiroth and Kefka on the bottom. Just know how to use them properly (yes, of course you need training) and you can defeat very good players as well.

Well, at least Darth Vader is on the Top>_> And the starplayer of the Zanarkand Abes as well. His chain options are great, like Jechts.