Thread: R=U Flaw

Default R=U Flaw

Ok, a minor flaw to the R=U theory. Squall stops Rinoa becoming Ult, but if that's the case then he inevitably fails. Ulti = from the future, therefore Squall has failed already; thus making Final Fantasy VIII a tragedy. Any agreements?

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is no minor flaw in the R=U theory.

The entire thing is a flaw.. in the brain connections of the person who thought it up.

^ Lol - it just proves it can't happen though. If R=U, then Rinoa would know it would happen, & try different plans to stop it - it's a never ending time lapse paradox. Squall, inevitably fails if that's the case, so the entire game would be pointless. Henceforth R does not infact = U

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    There is no minor flaw in the R=U theory.

The entire thing is a flaw.. in the brain connections of the person who thought it up.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvious
    ^ Lol - it just proves it can't happen though. If R=U, then Rinoa would know it would happen, & try different plans to stop it - it's a never ending time lapse paradox. Squall, inevitably fails if that's the case, so the entire game would be pointless. Henceforth R does not infact = U
    If you have an illicit disease in your own blood, I don't think you can fully control it. In this case, Rinoa won`t be able to output a desired result even if she wants to stop it. As for Squall, that is another matter because we don`t know what exactly happened after the timeline of the ending. Not just that but also during the “missed” or “leapfrogged” timelines we have witnessed from the game.

Also, if you assume that there`s a flaw in the R=U theory, then consider about the flaws in the R=/=U theory (R is not U).

isnt the flaw that the developer have more or less said its utter nonsense?

Yes.

That's not the only flaw though.

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Tee View Post
    isnt the flaw that the developer have more or less said its utter nonsense?
    That statement should be disregarded simply because there is no evidence that they have publicly criticised such theories, in fact they have never confirmed or disconfirmed the credibility of these theories. Why? That is the question you have to figure out yourself. The purpose of the game`s plot speaks for itself.

Think about it. If you were an employee of SquareEnix and you just have managed to find a piece of information that states Rinoa being ultimately Ultimecia on the Internet and everywhere else, is there any chance that a part of yourself that wants to tell them the truth simply because you find the theory absolutely nonsense or ridiculous? In interviews, a question usually pops up asking the developers about what additional information they want to add. So then why didn`t they mention something like "Oh, yeah. As a reminder for those fans, I just want to let you know that R=U is not true!" ? They have never done all that. I`m not surprised about this at all.

Is it possible that they (SE) have never heard of such things as R=U? I personally kind of find that hard to believe because the amount of information about R=U being public is too good to be unknown.

NONSENSE!!!

im kinda annoyed too cause when i first heard of that theory i thought it true and wanted it to be
    then i thought about it and its stupid
    would have been kinda cool tho

it should have happened the r=u stuff, it would make the game a tradegy and give it some very much needed depth
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Quote Originally Posted by PeneloRatsbane View Post
    it should have happened the r=u stuff, it would make the game a tradegy and give it some very much needed depth
    That would be plausible, as I think SquareSoft has done that part already. They are clever.

just accept its not true
    its all gettin a bit boring now

Default recent

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Tee
    just accept its not true
    its all gettin a bit boring now
    I`ll show you another example.

Have you ever visited any Japanese websites regarding R=U before? There are a few of them that do still exist and apparently they were produced in both excellent and constructive detail.

Do we agree that the Japanese world have better access to more accurate information about Final Fantasy VIII since the game was developed in Japan? If so, then please tell me, why didn`t they mention anything about the point made from the Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania? Some English-speaking people (e.g. Sir B) considered this to be against the whole R=U theory. That is strange, isn`t it? I`m fairly sure that they would have mentioned something about it but they didn`t. Though, I am pretty sure that they have read the book, but if they have missed the point, then that would be just insane. I have read the feedbacks of the Japanese websites but none of them were talking about the Ultimania either. Also, the dates of those posts and updates for the websites are not too old, they are about 10 years older than the date of the Ultimania release.

Of course, some of the Japanese websites have clearly stated that this whole thing is not 100% proven true. But the main thing is that they have said that Final Fantasy VIII is open for interpretation to players which is a very valid point. I have said so many times about this before ...

You want me to accept that the whole thing is not true. Well, sorry, sir, but that is a bit illogical.

I think everyone is focusing on R = U and missing the real point here that G = N. I havent heard one person say anything on the matter!

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I wouldn't say undermining the happy ending of the game is a flaw of the theory in of itself.

That being said I don't think a tragic subtext to the love story is how SE intended it to be interpreted. The reasons that make this theory implausible have been enumerated countless times and don't need to be repeated here.

What I will say is that anyone who wants me to accept it must furnish convincing arguments. It is not the role of skeptics to prove a negative. So far the arguments in favor have not been persuasive.