Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Brand New Footage from Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Anyone else think the rocket pack enemies seem a little silly?
    Silly, yes. Surprising, no.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I laugh whenever I see them. Old school sci-fi ftw!

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

This might make some of you more happy:

1UP - What's Changing In The Retail Version Of FFXIII?

These are rumours but nonetheless interesting!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

"Hardest FF to date"?

I will hold them to that one.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

lol, I didn't notice that one.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Lets see...

I remember in FF1 running into enemies that got a pre-emptive strike then used instant death spells to KO my entire party before I even had a chance to input any commands. Not holding my breath that they are going to top that. (nor would I probly be pleased with the result if they did).

On a less sarcastic note, although the claim may well be out to lunch, an increase in difficulty would be something I would welcome.

The similarities to VII and X are also really eerie. The opening track starts off almost sounding like "Bombing Mission" and then jumps into a narration similar to AC. I still dislike the Matrix style wire-fu. It really cheapened the opening scene for me. It's like they are trying to say "HEY KIDS!!! WE GOT CRAZY ACTION!!! WE BE TRIPPING ACTION AND WE'RE TOTALLY EXTREME ACTION DAWG!!! Please buy my game cause we added the "CRAZY ACTION" you kids are into these days...."

I really dislike this dungeon design, I hope to god the whole game isn't like this. I don't care for the return of the "looks spacious but incredibly linear" designs of X. Hell, most of the dungeon felt and even looked like the opening part of Zanarkand, except with a VII color scheme. I'm not impressed with Cocoon so far. Even the first Boss battle was obviously a reference to the Scorpion Tank boss from VII. Though I laughed, cause the Human boss at the end of the first part looks like a "Space Judge" version of Judge Bergen from XII. I am happy they brought back the "jumping" elements from X-2 though.

Music is pretty good but I hope the overuse of the violin doesn't drive me crazy. Can't comment on the graphics too much cause the Youtube quality is terrible. Though they did a lot more to add cinematic elements into the gameplay so I give them kudos for that. I just hope its consistent cause X did the same thing for the first 10 hours of the game and then completely stopped for no reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Anyone else think they could have done more with how you control your character out of combat. It is almost exactly how you controlled your character in FFX-2. Why not actually include a proper jumping mechanic instead of a few jump prompts scattered throughout the level. It just seems so limited, especially with the linear map design.
    I recently played the demo and i have to say that i agree with these 2 posts 100%.
    The gameplay felt very restricted and i really hope the section in the demo will be the only linear one in the final game...Unfortunately from what we have seen from the videos of other areas like the forest path Lightning walks and the icy area where she talks with Snow,both of these places look very linear.
    I liked the battle system though (with the exception that you cannot move the characters in battle) and the music was indeed quite good.

Honestly, I'm not saying anything that I haven't said since the first trailer. The visuals of the game borrow from the VII and X mold and that's fine for someone who may have adored the games but they rank as my bottom two in the series so I can't say I'm really pleased. The demo is just confirming this point further.
    I'm one of those who adored the visuals in VII and X but i don't want to see the same art direction and aesthetics in every FF game over and over again (at least not in the main series.)
    The reason why FFXIII reminds so much of VII is probably because Square intents to re-use all these assets for the inevitable remake of VII.To me,from a consumer's perspective this is unacceptable as i expect every FF world to be a unique and original concept.

I'm intrigued by the people talking to you as you walk by, I'm curious to know if this is something unique to this moment or have we finally gone full VA for even the most minor of NPC's? It could be quite interesting.
    The NPC's have indeed VA but they feel completely lifeless...They have no movement at all.In fact they remind me these dolls that have motion sensors and start talking when you are passing by.
    I hope they put at least some basic lip movement on them in the final version.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Nifleheim7 View Post
    Honestly, I'm not saying anything that I haven't said since the first trailer. The visuals of the game borrow from the VII and X mold and that's fine for someone who may have adored the games but they rank as my bottom two in the series so I can't say I'm really pleased. The demo is just confirming this point further.
    I'm one of those who adored the visuals in VII and X but i don't want to see the same art direction and aesthetics in every FF game over and over again (at least not in the main series.)
    The reason why FFXIII reminds so much of VII is probably because Square intents to re-use all these assets for the inevitable remake of VII.To me,from a consumer's perspective this is unacceptable as i expect every FF world to be a unique and original concept.
    I actually like VII's visuals as well but I liked the original game while this feels more like the Compilation bull crap. I have very mixed feelings about X though. I don't feel that XIII is being used as a "test run" for a VII remake but rather it may (and feel free to take this with some salt) be a homage to the Sony era FFs. Gunblades, a female Cloud, and several visual clues taken from the Nomura, Kitase, Nojima era FFs. Its not surprising cause the director has worked on VII, VIII, X, and X-2 as well as RW (which has this odd X-2 flavor to it that I can't get out of my mouth.)

Playing through this director's last title, Revenant Wings; I can tell he likes to borrow themes and situations from past games. Sorta like a calling card or something. I just hope this borrowing is skin deep and not another attempt at making the "magic formula". Like you, I just wish the visuals and aesthetics looked new.

I'm intrigued by the people talking to you as you walk by, I'm curious to know if this is something unique to this moment or have we finally gone full VA for even the most minor of NPC's? It could be quite interesting.
    The NPC's have indeed VA but they feel completely lifeless...They have no movement at all.In fact they remind me these dolls that have motion sensors and start talking when you are passing by.
    I hope they put at least some basic lip movement on them in the final version.
    Hopefully this will be fixed in the final version (it is a demo after all) cause I don't think I could stand that. You would think they would do it the other way around. I remember how impressed I was in Xenosaga Eps. III cause the townsfolk and NPCs would move and somewhat interact with your character depending on your proximity to them.

Its not surprising cause the director has worked on VII, VIII, X, and X-2 as well as RW (which has this odd X-2 flavor to it that I can't get out of my mouth.)

Playing through this director's last title, Revenant Wings; I can tell he likes to borrow themes and situations from past games. Sorta like a calling card or something.
    Haha,i played RW but i haven't made that connection with X-2 until only now that you mention it (both light hearted games in comparison with X/XII,and both mission based.)

Btw,i hated RW's control system.It was the only FF i gave up trying finishing it.
    I don't have X-2 on a high pedestal either.

Reno's my man! <3 Fire_Emblem776's Avatar

The demo was a lot of fun, i i wish i knew what i was doing most of the time -_-