Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: So Finally, I Have Tried Them

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default So Finally, I Have Tried Them

It's been about three years since I've played a new Final Fantasy, so I thought this would be the time to expand my experience with the series. I had just recently purchased FF Anthologies through ebay and I was dissapointed. The game came in single casings with no book and the discs were severely scratched.
    I tried putting them in my PS2 and of course they didn't work. I was mad, but it was my fault since the price was chaeap and there was no real picture of the discs. I really only had myself to blame.

I then continued playing my PS2 and PS3. That didn't last long though when suddenly one day after I took a break of playing Persona 3 to eat dinner, I came back and tried to play the game again and it couldn't be read. I was furious since I loved the game so much and I hadn't even beat it one time. I sucked it up and had proceeded with playing with the one game I have for my PS3. Later, I found out that the PS3 could play PS1 games so I tried my luck and put in FFV. The PS3 miraculously read the game in an instant. The game's opening credits were amazing and it fell a little short for me from there. The opening was too long in my opinion and one of the battle themes' were really annoying.

I got up to the first save point and the game froze. I was just a little upset, since I found negatives in the game already and I rarely hear anyone hear talk about the game. So I just took the game out for the night and the next day I tried VI. Like the other it opened beautifully, I wonder why other FFs didn't open like that. I made it to the first boss and I couldn't really tell if I was hurting it or not, so I ended up winning the battle with only Wedge left. One complaint that I have about both games is that it takes a little too long for the battle screens to open and close. I also think that V's YESSSS! is kind of cheesy. I can't wait to find out what all VI has to offer. I'll try it a little later and give some more feedback.

Final Fantasy VI has the potential to blow your mind, but playing it in its most flawed format is really going to hurt that experience. I suggest you play the original, or grab Final Fantasy VI Advance. Even emulation is 1000% better than that awful Playstation version.

Blog Entries

Default Sora_Lion_Heart~

You may want to buy a brand new game instead of taking chances on scratched disks.

VS
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I have to admit FFV is more for select players to like, which I happen to do, but nearly everyone who gives FFVI a chance loves it. Follow advice though, any version but the PS version will be better.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Well I don't have a DS and my older brother took the SNES, so what am I to do? What's wrong with the PS version?

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Like you said, horribly slow load times.

Emulate it on the computer you're sitting at right now.

Agreed. Playing the playstation version of those games is a bad idea. Even accessing the menu on CHrono Trigger takes a ridiculously long amount of time to put up with [which is annoying if you're someone that accesses the menu a lot]. I recommend playing the GBA or original SNES versions so your experience isn't ruined. Everyone here pretty much has the right idea.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Yeah, get the GBA versions if anything. Better script, bonus dungeons, faster loading, not as good audio quality due to GBAs sound chip.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Better script
    I wouldn't go that far.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sorry to hear about your PS2, and even more sorry that you didn't get a chance to finish P3.

Yeah, the PS1 version of VI is notorious for its horrible load times. Its a great game but if its bothering you now, I'd rather you stop than have something trivial like that ruin the game.

V is a bit slow in the beginning. It doesn't really pick up until the second crystal and then it eventually turns into a roller coaster ride.

If you can tough it out of the problems due to the crappy versions I say go for it. Otherwise, find a way to get the GBA versions cause they are better overall.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Better script
    I wouldn't go that far.
    For FF5, I would, without question. For FF6, I don't remember enough of the changes in detail.

Blog Entries

In my opinion the best option for FFVI is the Playstation version on a PS emulator to counter the load times.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

All right I made it up to getting Sabin, I got stuck and frustrated in South Figaro when I met an old man who wanted Cider. I found a guy in the cafe who was going to take it to him, but whenever I follow him and go there, he's already given it to the old man and he won't talk to me. I tried following the guy and mug him for the cider, that didn't work, nor did trying to race him to the old guy's house or taking a short cut through the secret passageway. I also tried picking up the cider before talking to him and that didn't work either. I was doing all that stuff for about a whole 40 min before deciding to leave and discovering Mt. Kolts, now that I have Sabin, I'm finding the game to be kind of unique, but I'm a little confused on story. He just suddenly tagged along, with no apparent reason.

The Music's cool. I'm getting use to the loads, I did deal with FF Chronicles too.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sabin is Eddie's brother, that might be why :p.