Thread: Coming home

Default Coming home

Hey Everyone,

So FFXI was my first mmorpg and i've played it for 2 years. For some personal reasons i left the game and for the next 3 years i went to WoW. I've quit Wow now and so like many others im considering getting back to FFXI.

But this is where the questions come.

When i left, Wings of the Goddess didnt exist yet and i never played with the new jobs, so to my first question is how did they change the game ? what are the subjobs people go nowadays with them, or are they better as subs themselfs ?

I've lost my account so im starting from scratch...i had so much and now im feeling like someone who never played it before hehe.

That brings me to another questions, what jobs/subs are needed nowadays ? some jobs were basicly dead when i left (my blu was stuck on 58 and i couldnt get a party anywhere on Valefor...)

So any help with these would be much appreciated,

Thx in advance
    Laz

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Dancer is a great situational subjob for melee since it has the ability to heal yourself and others using TP instead of MP. As a main job I don't see it used that often so I don't know what it's useful for.

Scholar is a great subjob for mages due to the fact that it gets a JA that lets you recover MP. It also gets several other useful abilities that enhance mage spells. As a main job it is also very useful as it can switch from a healing mage to a nuking mage on the fly, and it gets some good advanced abilities that allow single target enhancing spells to be AOE based. It actually replaced WHM as the second most desired healer for most activities (RDM is still the highest), so much that SE gave WHM a huge boost in the latest update.

Jobs these days...all jobs are useful (except maybe DNC or PUP which no one seems to like). Everyone always wants BRD, and RDM is still the most desirable healing job. PLD and NIN are still desired for high end activities where tank is required. In terms of DD, SAM or WAR are probably the most wanted these days, but they're all useful really. I just depends on what you want to do.

BLU is a great job. I'm level 75 BLU and I love it. I don't even play PLD any more. BLU has such a diverse bag of tricks that they can be useful for just about anything. Leveling in the 50s is tough, that's before you get any of your big damage spells. I had a static group for that period so I managed ok. These days with level sync and FoV and other stuff it shouldn't be too hard to level any job. Just sync down to when you first get Bludgeon and BAM all of a sudden you are the best DD for your level.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Hey Thanks for your answer

Since im starting from scratch ill need to lvl some jobs first (cant say i really do miss Valkrum hehe). Just thinking on everything i had and need to get again lol, might be a great experience to see all of it again tho.

But it really does feels great to be back. Hope its stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    BLU is a great job. I'm level 75 BLU and I love it. I don't even play PLD any more. BLU has such a diverse bag of tricks that they can be useful for just about anything. Leveling in the 50s is tough, that's before you get any of your big damage spells. I had a static group for that period so I managed ok. These days with level sync and FoV and other stuff it shouldn't be too hard to level any job. Just sync down to when you first get Bludgeon and BAM all of a sudden you are the best DD for your level.
    Seconded, even though I wasn't BLU75 for very long before I quit.

Thanks to Sagensyg for the sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    (except maybe DNC or PUP which no one seems to like)
    I am not sure about DNC, but I can assure you guys PUP is a very powerful job. Not only did I have a friend on Pandemonium that was a 75PUP and continually showed me how awesome it was, I also just had a 75PUP solo Diabolos Prime for me.

I am still unsure as to why people dislike PUP so much, it has so much potential. Maybe people in MMO's always need at least one job class to single out so it makes the job class they play feel more important, I don't know...

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I know PUP is good but it seems to be the 'lol' job these days.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Yeah I figured, just thought I'd generally put that out there though.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

The only problem with PUP is that it takes an obscene amount of money to make it live up to its potential, and not a lot of people in FFXI are willing to drop that kind of money on it.

Ouch lives in a miniature pie placed on the clouds in the sky - no joke.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

It's delicious.