Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Childrens Television?

Blog Entries

Default Childrens Television?

Is it just me, or is children's t.v mostly rubbish nowadays?

Shows just don't seem to have that spark any more. I mean I am a big fan of older children's t.v shows derived from as early as the 60s to the 90s, like 'The Herbs' 'Sharky and George' 'Camberwick Green' 'Rhubarb and Custard' 'Mary Mungo and Midge' etc etc. and apart from Spongebob and Bruno the Monkey I don't enjoy watching any Children's t.v today(because I am truely 6 years old at heart).

What are your opinions on Children's T.V compared to about 15 years ago?
    What are/were you're favourite shows?
    If I turn my back I'm defenceless, and to go blindly seems senseless.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

There's more blatant crude humor in lots of cartoons today, and that automatically makes them suck more.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Sharky and George was the absolute business. I loved it! Did anyone else think "Why do they call it children's television? I'm gonna watch this stuff forever!" back in the day? And now I'm an adult...well, I guess I betrayed my child self's vision.

If kid's tv is on when I am channel flicking these days, I don't usually watch it 'cause yeah, as Momiji said, kiddie crude just aint funny. The one exception to that is a cartoon called The Secret Show, which I think is pretty clever and funny for a kid's show.

Shows for children all look worse to me today because I am not the age to enjoy them anymore and nostalgia makes the cartoons I watched look better than they actually are.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    Shows for children all look worse to me today because I am not the age to enjoy them anymore and nostalgia makes the cartoons I watched look better than they actually are.
    Something like that, yeah I doubt children's television has changed that much since we were kids, it's more to do with ourselves changing and whatnot.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I agree with that mostly, but there a lot more than some other years of cartoons trying to be edgy rather than funny. but I think we had those in the 80's and 90's, but just a couple that I think I would have loved as a child are The Fairly Odd Parents and Mt life as a Teenage Robot.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Too many shows are 3-D or just plain ugly.

My favorite show was and still is Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears! Live each day the Gummi way. :gruffi:

I would still watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Mario cartoons, too, if I could.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think my main problem with kids shows are that half of them are so PC and go so far out of their way not to be offensive or scary that they become utterly void of any feeling or wonderment. The other half try too hard (and generally fail) to be "edgy" and "hip". There are exceptions but not too many.

The few somewhat current kids shows that have been fun have been Courage the Cowardly Dog, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Old school Dexter's Lab, Fairy Odd Parents, and Pucca. Other shows worth noting but I have a hard time categorizing them cause I disagree with calling them "Kids shows" are Samurai Jack and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I never watched a huge amount of tv as a child. In a house of 13, there were always fights over the remote and I just went upstairs and did some practice.

I did manage to catch Gummi Bears and Pigeon Street, which I liked. Nowadays, again I'm not too fussed.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

stu and I have this plan that if we have kids, we will just buy up seasons of dvds of the most excellent shows and make a little personal tv station complete with commercials because they are timeless and teach patience.

(ideas so far: original power rangers, digimon, seasame street, spider-man, batman, w-men cartoons, wishbone, but also things like nova, simpsons, frasier, seinfeld etc later at night ;D)

Childrens TV died when Otis the Aardvark left CBBC.

Not sure if this is technically fifteen years ago but, Canadian children programs were the best to watch in the nineties: Uh Oh, Dudley the Dragon, Stickin' Around, Big Comfy Couch (Alyson Court seasons only), Tales of the Riverbank, PJ Katies Farm... and some others I can't remember the names of. Basically a lot of the shows on YTV. Now all the new programs are just awful, to me anyway.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Whenever I think of Canadian television, I remember the gem "You Can't Do That On Television" that was a great show, which snowballs into all the other good shows on Nickelodeon like Pete and Pete, Whose Afraid of the Dark, Salute Your Shorts and Eerie Indiana (which was on another station but still awesome.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Childrens TV died when Otis the Aardvark left CBBC.
    QFT

Though he was on tv not so long back, which pleased me greatly.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

I didn't watch much children's TV growing up. We watched adult sitcoms and dramas as a family.