Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FFXII has little replay value.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default FFXII has little replay value.

Compared to other FF games, I agree with that statement. I might go into a little more depth when I have more time.

How about you?

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

There is no story to re-explore
    and the battle system isnt a joy to use!
    the only factor i would go back to do (which i havent yet), is to do the hunts to get Gilgamesh
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

RPGs in general have little replay value unless they pull a Chrono Trigger or X-2. Once you've done everything there is usually no point to replay them unless you liked the plot.

I usually replay Rpgs because of this sentiment cause I think of playing through them as though I was reading through a book again. With this sentiment I would say XII does have replay value cause I did like its plot and cast and also because the game has been gaining some odd notoriety as being more amazing with each playthrough cause you can notice more of its intricate detail. This of course is just my opinion.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

There's getting that spear. That most people missed cause there is no warning what so ever that opening those jars will stop it from appearing.

The low level game is fun as a second playthrough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    There's getting that spear. That most people missed cause there is no warning what so ever that opening those jars will stop it from appearing.
    WHAT!

i loved the battle system
    i would replay it just for that

I'm currently replaying it actually ;o To be honest, I like the game better this time around thanks to several reasons;

I'm severly underlevelled but still going strong to finish the main story without doing any of the sidequests. This brings in a lot more tactic than my first playthrough in which (SPOILER)I was decently levelled all the time and could solve anything with a single gambit setup consisting of Self: Haste = Berserk on attackers and Ally HP < 50% = Cura on mages.

I'm currently at the Tchita Uplands with a party average around level 25, lowest being 23, highest being 27. It's quite challenging, but I can manage by being smart. How nerdish does that sound.

Anyway, because I'm ignoring the sidequests the story is a bit easier to follow.

Despite all this, I still have to agree the story does not offer the best replay value, although it's fun to experiment with different gambit setups and weapons.

Interesting stuff; (SPOILER)Thanks to Measures I actually use both my mages as tanks. Evade ftw!

i love the battle system, i always manualy control the party leader, so it's not all auto-fighting... the fact that there is no intrusive battle theme is all the better, i hate going frome serene music to annoying battle theme then back again, it totaly ruins the mood...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I can't understand how some think that the battle system isn't good, it's the best in the series iMO. The only thing that doesn't give any value to me is the story. I have spent over 325hrs on the game and if you ask me anything specific about the story, I cannot answer it.

The gameplay is enough for me to re-explore the game, but I had a bad experience from last time trying to beat all the hunts, since I cannot walk through the Penumbra without dying within a couple of minutes.

After finishing for the first time I bought the guidebook and started it again in an attempt to get everything. I love the battle-system which is the best I've encountered in most games, the many side-quest are great, especially the hunts, both Clan Centurio and The Hunt Club. And I just enjoy exploring the world of Ivalice.
    "Guchi-guchi" said the little baby, and his mom mistakingly bought him an expensive bag

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I don't think it has any less replay value than the other games. The only thing that has really prevented me from replaying it is a general lack of time to do so, because I remember spending a very long time on my first playthrough and haven't really got the time to invest in it again. I'd certainly like to replay the game using different characters, trying to get the Zodiak Spear and trying out some new gambit configurations I simply didn't bother using first time through.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A game that could take 200 hours to complete everything shouldn't have replay value... xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

I disagree, I think XII has immense replay value for the following reasons:

- The variety of characters you can create with the License grid is so vast you could build so many different parties each time you play

- The combat system is surprisingly deep, for a game in which you essentially do nothing, there's tons of strategy in it. I find myself get deeper and deeper into the mechanics on every playthrough.

- The story is deep as well. I've picked up on something new everytime I've played.

I've beaten this game 3 times, for a total of around 300 hours, it's possibly my most played RPG, so maybe my personal taste is coming through here. I really can't wait to get into it again, actually.

I do have to admit that this Final Fantasy had an odd way of sneaking up on me. I totally hated it at first, but in retrospect I'm finding myself liking it more and more. So, maybe there's replay value in that I might want to re-experience it...though I would certainly not replay the game and redo all of the hunts and everything. Jeez. That would be awful.
    I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII: DoC, VII: CC, VIII, X, X-2, XII, KH, KH:CoM, Re:CoM, KHII, CT