Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Darkside of FF7

It's not a retcon if there wasn't anything contradicting it beforehand. It's a savig grace for the Planet as a whole, frankly. It's one thing for the entire world to fall under the dominion of an incompetent businessman in 40 years flat, but at least now this guy wasn't the first to think "hey, let's try to use this green light as energy." Rather his greatgreatgrandfather made landfall on this planet with that idea in mind specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffer View Post
    Then you might as well call Shinra from Final Fantasy X-2 to true villain of Final Fantasy VII.

That's like saying Hitlers mum was the true cause of WW2. Shinra didn't have evil in mind when he came up with the idea.

Btw, I can't believe they made that offical, that's bull. I like FF games being separate. Sounds like they just went; "oh he's called Shinra, let's mix up the games a little bit because I'm bored".

Wow seriously?

I agree with you, Crop. That is bull. They should have named him a different name rather than make a descendant from...Shinra in Gaia.

Now that I understand what's going on, no, the Shinra from FFX-2 shouldn't be blamed for what the company did in VII. And why even connect those two? We're talking about VII. Not the series as a whole. The character Shinra is in an alternative world many years ahead, or whatever the deal is. and he's an Al Bhed! oh man this just doesn't work out! There's not even the slighest of mention of Al Bheds in Gaia! Squarenix...you frustrate me.

Ugh. That gives me another reason not to play X-2.

Jaffer, no hard feelings ya? We just have two different definitions of what a villain is. =D I mean...yeah I do consider Sephiroth a villain...a very strong one. But I do feel he's given too much credit for the destruction he's caused. I believe that the manipulator behind a strong powerful villain has the same if not more responsibility for the world's destruction and you see this manipulator\puppet relationship in many games (at least the ones I know about).

IV = Golbez and Kain
    VII = Shinra and Sephiroth
    VIII = Edea\Seifer and Ultimecia
    IX = Garland and Kuja
    X = Yevon and the Maesters
    How does one use fire?

Kuri you have it backwards, the ShinRa family of Gaia (FFVII) are descended from Shinra of Spira (FFX-2), Spira came before Gaia, the ShinRa family are far descendants of the Al Bhed... Shinra from Spira designed the technology to harvest the energy of the Farplane as a source of power, the same tech used later by ShinRa Electric Power Company to harvest the power of the Lifestream in Gaia...

Sephiroth was the biggest threat simply because he could control Jenova, though the cause of that is due to Hojo's meddeling with his DNA in utero...

not that drug dealer CelestialStarDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    Sephiroth just wasn't involved enough. He was never really there to harass you and cause you grief like Kefka and ExDeath were, he seemed to leave that to everyone else.
    Now ExDeath was an object to be feared.You spend your whole first half of the game trying to keep him locked up,because he's an INSANE warlock with power comparable to a black hole and he's not afraid to use it.He links together two dimensions and then destroys your hometowns!Yes,plural.I despised him.And he also kills Galuf,who was pretty much your comic relief.
    ps:did anyone know there was a movie to this game?

Kefka was also quite insane.But in a sly way,because he's really the one pulling the strings even though you think its Gesthal's doing.And then he succeeds in destroying the world,there's that little detail..and his WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP was almost unbearable.That topped off his evil-ness.

Sephy was interesting because he really didn't start out insane,he was actually a hero that Cloud even looked up to.It's when he cracked that things got out of control...I was in a rage when he killed Aerith,but I guess it was all for the best,as her dead ghost in the lifestream got holy going(i think).All in all he was just kind of annoying with his huge sword and tons of final forms.

Ultemecia was one heck of a puppet master,and thats what being evil is all about,right? :P And she had some weird bodily mutations like monster feet and horns or something.Maybe the scariest looking villian.
    Last edited by CelestialStarDust; 09-18-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Catapultam habeo.Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis,ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStarDust View Post
    Kefka was also quite insane.But in a sly way,because he's really the one pulling the strings even though you think its the king's doing.And then he succeeds in destroying the world,there's that little detail..and his WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP was almost unbearable.That topped off his evil-ness.
    He also did some pretty heinous things off outside of the obvious. I loved all the stuff they did with him outside of just blowing stuff up like a cliche villain. He was truly evil, poisoning rivers to seal the fates of towns and finding masterful ways to set his plans into motion at the expense of others.

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStarDust View Post
    Sephy was interesting because he really didn't start out insane,he was actually a hero that Cloud even looked up to.It's when he cracked that things got out of control...I was in a rage when he killed Aerith,but I guess it was all for the best,as her dead ghost in the lifestream got holy going(i think).All in all he was just kind of annoying with his huge sword and tons of final forms.
    I wasn't into Sephiroth as much as I thought I would be. I thought he was cool and stuff, but to me there seemed like there should have been more to him. The ending was pretty cool once I starting thinking about it though. (SPOILER)I mean, once I thought about it and talked to my friend about it, we realized it wasn't a stereotypical save the world from the bad guy who is trying to destroy it because he didn't want to destroy the planet. Sephiroth's intention was to summon meteor in order to force lifestream to come out and then absorb all the power of these two epic forces to do whatever he saw fit afterward to punish everyone for the suffering he believed they deserved.

Another 'dark side' I guess to FFVII that made me kinda sad for the character was Barret's past. Overall he was one of my least favorite characters, but at the same time he had one of my favorite character stories. It was pretty tragic what happened to Dyne, and I really wish there had been more closure to that even though idk how you'd really go about doing that. I just felt bad for Barret, Dyne, and Marlene.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    Kuri you have it backwards, the ShinRa family of Gaia (FFVII) are descended from Shinra of Spira (FFX-2), Spira came before Gaia, the ShinRa family are far descendants of the Al Bhed... Shinra from Spira designed the technology to harvest the energy of the Farplane as a source of power, the same tech used later by ShinRa Electric Power Company to harvest the power of the Lifestream in Gaia...
    OH. Okay! hahaha alright.THAT WORKS NOW. somewhat. Thanks for filling me in. XD
    How does one use fire?

Quote Originally Posted by -kuri- View Post
    Wow seriously?

I agree with you, Crop. That is bull. They should have named him a different name rather than make a descendant from...Shinra in Gaia.

Now that I understand what's going on, no, the Shinra from FFX-2 shouldn't be blamed for what the company did in VII. And why even connect those two? We're talking about VII. Not the series as a whole. The character Shinra is in an alternative world many years ahead, or whatever the deal is. and he's an Al Bhed! oh man this just doesn't work out! There's not even the slighest of mention of Al Bheds in Gaia! Squarenix...you frustrate me.

Ugh. That gives me another reason not to play X-2.

Jaffer, no hard feelings ya? We just have two different definitions of what a villain is. =D I mean...yeah I do consider Sephiroth a villain...a very strong one. But I do feel he's given too much credit for the destruction he's caused. I believe that the manipulator behind a strong powerful villain has the same if not more responsibility for the world's destruction and you see this manipulator\puppet relationship in many games (at least the ones I know about).

IV = Golbez and Kain
    VII = Shinra and Sephiroth
    VIII = Edea\Seifer and Ultimecia
    IX = Garland and Kuja
    X = Yevon and the Maesters
    That's my whole point!! Shinra Inc. made Sephiroth, and they didn't exactly have the best intentions at heart but they didn't manipulate him into doing jacksquat. They didn't want him to burn down Nibelheim, they didn't want him to try and kill Zack and Cloud, they didn't want him to seek out the Promised Land with his mommy, they want him to destroy the Planet, they don't want him to go on an intergalactic cruise to bring "shining futures" to other planets. They just ****ed up. Just like Shinra from Final fantasy X-2 did. Yeah, he made Yuna real happy with his plans for a city of light but he would sucked Spira dry and eventually killed it if he were to ever implement this plan.

Hojo is a supporter of Sephiroth, he even helped him after he figured out what needed to be done, but Hojo didn't plan for any of this. Hell, the reason Hojo was still with Shinra is because Sephiroth of all people forced him. Read Before Crisis. Hojo is down with whatever's evil and certainly made Sephiroth bringing about this situation, but he's still not the man with the plan.

Jenova is an interesting case. It's been stated that Sephiroth is the dominant force but I think that only became that way after Sephiroth died and dematerialised into the Lifestream. The idea to go the Promised land was probably hers.

But the plan to steal the Black Materia, the reason why our main character is on remote control by someone other then you in disc 1, the person controlling the WEAPONS, the person who's will brought about GeoStigma, that's all Sephiroth. He's the guy you're fighting. There's no secret true villain at the end, the foodchain ends with sephiroth.

the person controlling the WEAPONS
    Sephiroth wasn't controlling the WEAPONS, they were tools created by the planet to wipe out any threats to the planet. After Sephiroth summoned Meteor they were released and perceived everything as a threat to the Planet, thus going on their killing spree.

And when the Sister Ray targeted Sephiroth's forcefield, the nearest WEAPON backed up, got into position and tried his best to block it with his own body.

Diamond wasn't protecting Sephiroth, it was advancing on Midgar to destroy it, the weapons were attacking the Mako Reactors, as they were the real threat to the planet by sucking away the Lifestream as far as the WEAPONS were concerned, and Midgar had the most reactors in one place...
    Last edited by Elly; 09-19-2009 at 08:13 PM.

The FMV had him backing up, anyway of hundreds of angles he choose to attack from, he choose the only one that would benefit Sephiroth. And whether Sephiroth was in control or not, he still totally tricked them into doing his dirty work for him while he could just hang back and sit on Holy for two weeks. Barring any spikyhaired heros getting in the way obviously.

The FMV had him backing up, anyway of hundreds of angles he choose to attack from, he choose the only one that would benefit Sephiroth. And whether Sephiroth was in control or not, he still totally tricked them into doing his dirty work for him while he could just hang back and sit on Holy for two weeks. Barring any spikyhaired heros getting in the way obviously.
    I'm pretty sure unleashing the WEAPONS was unintentional on Sephiroths part, there is no mention anywhere that Sephiroth even acknowledges their existence.
    Besides, I think having Diamond in that position was just to keep the story moving and get the barrier down while making the part more interesting (Midgar and Rufus getting shot up, and the downfall of Shinra etc). Again, there is no mention that it is done to protect Sephiroth.

You killed them by the time you face Sephiroth. He never ignores them, he caused a giant Mako explosion that caused them to arise, now you tell me what that was neccesary for beyond summoning the WEAPONS.

You killed them by the time you face Sephiroth. He never ignores them, he caused a giant Mako explosion that caused them to arise, now you tell me what that was neccesary for beyond summoning the WEAPONS.

Fair enough, I suppose he uses them as a distraction to hold you and Shinra off while he kicks up Meteor. Also a good reason to raise up the barrier (to stop them getting at him).
    But I'm 100% certain that he has no control over them, as I originally pointed out.

Edit: In fact, the reason the WEAPONS woke up was because they saw the threat to the planet that Meteor brought.