Thread: Character Spotlight: Cloud Strife

Default Character Spotlight: Cloud Strife

I stole the idea from another forum but hey it is nice thread-idea.

So I thought why not making these threads dedicated to characters and I thought Cloud is good to start with because he is one of the popular characters and I want to know what people think about characters.

I think Cloud is very good main hero. I was surprised that he wasn´t boyscout hero like first V FF heroes so first I didn´t care about his coldness towards stuff but later I have thought that it is cool that he is just for money in the beginning.

He is also very fitting for leader role unlike newer FF-heroes, though their role in the party ain´t leader. I think Aeris is better for Cloud, Tifa seems more like just someone Cloud could have wild sex.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Tifa is Cloud's childhood friend, who stood by him throughout his game-long delusions, stayed with him when he was reduced to a babbling vegetable, and finally helped him repair his consciousness once and for all. Forget her breasts.

Cloud? Yeah, I like that guy.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

I'd nunchuck Tifa's face, if I could! Tifa and Cloud - as a couple - are yucky.

Cloud would be cooler if he went for Yuffie instead of Tifa after Aerith's death. That's what I would do, if I were him.

Cloud makes a lot of mistakes!

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Cloud is okay, but I've never been a huge fan. Though as a protagonist as a game such as Final Fantasy VII he works quite well and certainly I like how good a conduit he is for the plot itself.

I quite like Tifa and Cloud as a couple, actually, because of all the history between the two and the profound impact on each others lives that they've had. They've had to deal with an awful lot between the two of them and have been there to support each other through major events and I think they just generally work well together. Both of them are strong and weak people in different ways and compliment each other well.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

It's so nice to finally hear an intellectual and unbiased/fair opinion of Cloud [or anything from FF VII for that matter]. I actually liked Cloud, though for obvious reasons he's not my favourite FF protagonist [I don't want to annoy everyone by repeating all of my complaints, as I've said them in other topics already]. He was broody and struggled a little bit with his guilt and psychological problems, but I didn't feel it was to an alarmingly excessive degree. Still, they could have reduced just a smidge of the focus on Cloud without losing the integrity of his connection with the story I think. Even for a protagonist, I don't think it's good to over-focus on a character.

I miss it. The steel sky. Aerisfanatic's Avatar

Oh God, I can see just from 4 out of 5 posts what this thread could turn into.

Cloud is my second favorite character, after Aeris, and he was kind of refreshing from the previous protagonists, although they tried to make his personality some what a trend. But who doesn't love that hair? (I tried to make a Mii of him on the Wii and it didn work out so well)
    Forever obsessed with the one and only flower girl <3

Articles
    Blog Entries

-(I tried to make a mii out of him and it DID kinda work out.)
    -Cloud is... meh. I liked him when he was a kid, I liked him during Crisis Core, and I liked him after he found out about his past.
    -I didn't like him almost the entire first disc, mainly because of his constant "I'm too cool for the world because I'm a 'SOLDIER'" attitude.
    -In advent children, I wanted to scream "Get a grip!" at him for his over broodiness.
    -He was pretty cool in Kingdom Hearts, but his character seemed to reflect Vincent more.
    -I hate him for the fact that he denies any feelings for Tifa, despite the fact that he implicitly hints that he liked her, and Tifa makes it pretty obvious at the end of Disc 2 (for those who don't remember, he slept next to her in a field). Tifa was my favorite character, so I guess that's a little biased.
    -As far as a main character goes, I'd say Cloud was a breath of fresh air at the time, but his cocky attitude and neglect for those who hold him in high regard make me not like him.
    -All in all, I liked Cloud when he wasn't brooding over Aeris (it's sad,I know, but it was TWO YEARS ago), or being a total punk as opposed to Zack's playful type of cockiness.
    Returners Represent!

I miss it. The steel sky. Aerisfanatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edge7 View Post
    -All in all, I liked Cloud when he wasn't brooding over Aeris (it's sad,I know, but it was TWO YEARS ago), or being a total punk as opposed to Zack's playful type of cockiness.
    Guilt can effect a person in great ways, believe me I know. Two years, 5 years, 10 years, 100 years It doesn't get any easier, especially if you blame yourself for it. (My dog died two years ago and I'm still sad as hell. But that's just me I guess)

Oh ya and Cloud's cool *confetti*. :mog:
    Forever obsessed with the one and only flower girl <3

Quote Originally Posted by Edge7 View Post
    I hate him for the fact that he denies any feelings for Tifa, despite the fact that he implicitly hints that he liked her, and Tifa makes it pretty obvious at the end of Disc 2 (for those who don't remember, he slept next to her in a field). Tifa was my favorite character, so I guess that's a little biased.
    I think he was always aware of his feelings towards Tifa. When he was a kid, he was always trying to impress Tifa - fairly obvious why. He continued with AVALANCHE because of her. And, I don't think they did much sleeping in that field. But that's my personal opinion.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aerisfanatic View Post
    Guilt can effect a person in great ways, believe me I know. Two years, 5 years, 10 years, 100 years It doesn't get any easier, especially if you blame yourself for it. (My dog died two years ago and I'm still sad as hell. But that's just me I guess)

Oh ya and Cloud's cool *confetti*. :mog:
    I know how guilt affects people, but it really wasn't his fault. What you said about guilt is true, but then why wasn't Square Consistent with this for ALL characters. I mean, Barret was sad for Biggs Wedge Jessie and Dyne for all of 2 minutes before moving on. I mean, he had to have a shootout with his best friend, that's about 1 million times more guilt!

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    I think he was always aware of his feelings towards Tifa. When he was a kid, he was always trying to impress Tifa - fairly obvious why. He continued with AVALANCHE because of her. And, I don't think they did much sleeping in that field. But that's my personal opinion.
    I'm not hating on Aeris like I did when I first joined the site, but I really think her relationship with Cloud was more playful in nature as opposed to Tifa's relation with Cloud, but then again, I only got the date with Tifa, so there's some personnal bias.
    Returners Represent!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I don't really care for Cloud much. He seemed very bland and like another member had mentioned about Advent Children it had gotten worse.

Cloud would be cooler if he went for Yuffie instead of Tifa after Aerith's death. That's what I would do, if I were him.
    Yuffie, that's jailbait.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig
    I was surprised that he wasn´t boyscout hero like first V FF heroes
    I resent that. Cecil started out killing innocent folks.