Thread: Tolako Village

Default Tolako Village

Hey, I don't know if anyone is interested. Haven't really posted stuff here for awhile, but thought someone might be interested...

Basically, this trimester in my environment modelling (for games) class we had a bunch of exercises to do, and also had to create a design document for an environment (could be anything) which I related to my character (you can see her idle animation in the video too!). Then we had a few weeks to actually make it and put it in Unreal 3, so there were large time constraints and it shows.

However, the style stayed true to the design doc - very stylised and comical. In fact I'd post the design doc, but it's around 30MB...

Enough of my jibber-jabber.

YouTube - Tolako Village
    You can watch it in HD! And I advise to, because it's blurry in SD.

Made in Maya, Unreal Tournament 3 Editor. Textures painted in Photoshop and fly through composited in Premiere and After Effects.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

OMECLE WHY YOU SO AWESOME >(

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Wow. =O

I will take it you guys like it. Thanks.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Wow, tis awesome. Sorta reminded me of Dark Cloud for some reason, at first at least.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Very cool, atmospheric as hell.

Thanks for the comments guys! Feel like my hard work paid off (until I get my marks back for it *crosses fingers*).

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Awesome!!! You used Unreal to do all that or did you use Maya / Blender too ?
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Thanks.

I created all the assets (terrain, buildings, etc. etc.) in Maya, painted textures in Photoshop and imported it all into Unreal and did automatic collision around each mesh, and then made all the lighting and animated the camera fly through inside Unreal.

So nothing that comes with the Unreal Tournament 3 editor was used, all my own creation. The water and particles (smoke/fire) were done using the material and particle editors, but used all my own textures.

Blog Entries

That's really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    Wow, tis awesome. Sorta reminded me of Dark Cloud for some reason, at first at least.
    Me too :Eek:

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Thats pretty cool, even if those are not complex polygons i guess you need a monster computer to make all those wide 3d enviroments..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Well, it was low poly - at least mainly. The sky huts were around 3,000 tris and I think the terrain reached near 20,000 tris, but everything else was under 1,000. All up, for the vast environment, it was around 190,000 tris or so.

190,000 tris isn't really much, considering some of Unreal Tournament 3's environments can get up to 700,000 - 1,000,000. But yeah, it does require having a decent enough computer (nothing major though), because the Unreal 3 editor crashes a lot and causes a lot of problems (it is free, so can't complain too much).