Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A friend of mine has proclaimed that all British people are full of themselves.

Blog Entries

Default A friend of mine has proclaimed that all British people are full of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Me, in this thread.
    My impression is that he has let British stereotypes commonly seen on television shows and other forms of media in the U.S. define a country's people to him. In many children's shows, characters with semi-British accents are normally the ones that play the part of the antagonist, or the character in the show whom, at one point, learns the true meaning of caring and sharing.

In shows meant to be humorous, an impersonation of a generic British person is normally among the voices that will often be used to set up a character's traits without giving them very much time on screen. For example, say there is a British man. Let's give him a monocle, too. He is in an office. An work-mate of his comes up to him and says something profane. The British man's monocle pops off, and he spits out tea. The advantage to this is that it's a joke that entirely pertains to a specific character's unique personality, and the creator did not have to flesh out his character to define his personality beforehand. (He or she also didn't have to make a good joke) Family Guy and other popular cartoons often do something similar, but rather than use stereo-types towards a large range of people, they use celebrities who have defined a personality for themselves in the media.

Because of how often an accent is used to define characters in media (with more than just British, of course), many people listen to a person's voice and have an idea of that person's personality, and they may come to an incorrect conclusion about a person's personality because of this. Along with this, because one may be looking for specific personality traits in whoever they may be talking to, they may ignore the traits of this person which they don't associate with such stereotypes.

I doubt this is new to anyone here, though, and you probably have payed it much mind. Why, neither have I. That's why I'm posting this in General Chat. But I would like to ask you guys something, which shall be the main topic.
    Has a friend of yours or someone else you know judged a person prematurely? And, if so, how did they do this? How did you react? How did people around you react?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'm pretty sure it's because the rest of the world is jealous of how fantastic we are. Ahhhh, it's hard being the best nation on earth, but someone's gotta do it.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's because the rest of the world is jealous of how fantastic we are. Ahhhh, it's hard being the best nation on earth, but someone's gotta do it.
    I'll help you when I'm living there and we hang out every single day... starting in September.

Everyone in the world seems to assume that Manhattan is ridden with crime and danger... meanwhile it's one of the safest cities in the country. LAWL.

Banned

I judge people all the time. 8-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I'll help you when I'm living there and we hang out every single day... starting in September.

Everyone in the world seems to assume that Manhattan is ridden with crime and danger... meanwhile it's one of the safest cities in the country. LAWL.
    You're just trying to lure me there so you can mug me, you dirty criminal.

Blog Entries

Most people judge me as an alcoholic brawler beause I'm Irish. Which is lol because even more lol I'm alergic to beer, so I'm just a brawler. Hah!

But yeah, the English are up them selves, he shouldn't lump the rest of the British Isles in there too, that's just mean!
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The only reason I've stopped the navy from invading with their tankers is because I like Paul.

But so God help them if he decides to move.

Oh hey dont mind me ol'chaps, im just drinking a nice cup of tea and enjoying some delicious biscuits while waiting for my lunch consisting of shepards pie. Also later on I might pop down to see what the queen is doing. Well gentlemen, I shall catch you later tootles.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A friend of mine has proclaimed that all British people are full of themselves yorkshire pudding.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

smurfing Georgians and their provoking Russia

haha I remember someone thought Russia had invaded Georgia USA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post

What the hell? How could anyone make a mistake like that? o_o

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wouldn't be surprised if Cheney had to explain the difference between the State and Country of Georgia to the former President.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post

What the hell? How could anyone make a mistake like that? o_o
    Because most people do not realize that Georgia is also a country.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post

Rye has judged me prematurely! She shall be my example!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Nobody is truly British until they have owned a monocle.