Thread: Leveling help

Blog Entries

Default Leveling help

So, I'm at the end of the DS version, where you go to the final dungeon on the moon. The thing is, everything on the moon wipes the floor with me. I need some decent place to train my party so I'm not instantly killed by one of those random Behemoth boss battles.
    If it helps any, Cecil is lv. 56, Rydia is lv. 50, Edge is lv. 46, Rosa is lv. 51, and Kain is lv. 53. :|
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

HOLY SMURF! You're levels are low... like 20 levels low than normal... I'd do one of two options...

Go to the Babil tower/ Sylph cave/ or Sealed Cave and just level up there fighting the monsters. Look for monsters that summon minions and then just kill the minions while keeping the summoner alive.

Or... the extremely harcore masochist way of doing things...

Try to collect all of Rydia's summons and the Onion Equipment. She has four summons that can only be obtained from a dropped item from the specific monsters (Goblin, Cocktrice, Mind Flayer, and Bomb). Said items all have abysmal drop rates so its easy to gain quite a few levels for your characters while trying to obtain them. My party was 60+ coming out of the Dark Elf cave cause it took forever for the Cthulu wizards to drop their freaking summon item... Its tedious but I find that leveling is much easier when you set up a goal whether its waiting for an item to drop or just acquiring enough AP to get that next skill...

Just a second.

I had recently finished my second play through this game. What I recommend doing is going into the final dungeon and leveling there. That's no joke. First off, run away from Dark Sages and Moonmaidens, they aren't worth the trouble. Dark Sages deal way too much damage with their spells, and they give so little exp that they aren't even worth it. Also run away from Armoured Fiends, since they're way more trouble than they're worth. Use Edge's Smoke to get away from these nuisance battles.

What you're going to want to do is fight Blue Dragons, Gold Dragons, and Silver Dragons. Gold and Silver Dragons will always come in a battle together, and Blue Dragons will always show up alone [though on occasion, I think you can run into two Blue Dragons at the same time. If this happens, get the hell out of there]. For all of these, all you need to do is cast Stop. For the Gold and Silver Dragon battle, I think the one you need to use Stop on first is the Silver Dragon [I think that's the one that really hurts your party]. Stop is a 100% guarantee on these monsters, so it should make leveling a lot easier. Once you level enough, start collecting all of the gears down there. Kain will get a ton of equipment that halves elemental damage per piece, and I think Cecil gets at least one or two of these. Eventually, you'll be able to tolerate a Red Dragon's Thermal Rays [which would otherwise rape your party], to get one of his Crystal gears [I think it's his Crystal Armour, but I can't remember]. The first Red Dragon you fight is basically the toughest thing down there. Once you kill that and get the gear it's guarding, immediately teleport to the surface and save it. You should level up quickly by using the Stop spell strategy against the Gold, Silver, and Blue Dragons, so leveling should be easy.

Please note that Stop does not work against the Red Dragon. I highly recommend hitting it with Berserk first, then Slow. Once you have it in Berserk, it will be forced to attack you each round, and thus will be unable to use its Thermal Rays attack [which can easily destroy an under-geared party]. Once you have Berserk on it, cast Slow on it, then try to keep Blink up on everyone [and don't forget, Edge can do this for himself with less MP, with a faster cast time if I recall correctly]. Once you have this going on, you should be under complete control. Just make sure you keep an eye on the Red Dragon, as Berserk will eventually wear off. Also, if for some reason you need to use an Elixir during this fight, feel free to do so. The first Red Dragon you fight will be tough, so you need to make sure you don't take any risks. You should have about 20~ish of these Elixirs anyways [I didn't even use any of mine throughout the game].

Also, please note that I'm a bit of a purist, and chose to go through this game without the use of any augments. Most people will use augments, and I'm assuming you have as well, so it should be even easier for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    My party was 60+ coming out of the Dark Elf cave cause it took forever for the Cthulu wizards to drop their freaking summon item...
    Goodness! I wasn't level 60 until a while after I finished the Giant of Babil part, towards the beginning of going through the Lunar dungeon. Of course, I never really got all of the summons in the game aside from the main ones.
    Last edited by RedPouch; 05-18-2009 at 04:21 AM.

My characters are at level 60-65 and the enemies on the moon still pack a punch.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Khalin View Post

My party was 60+ coming out of the Dark Elf cave cause it took forever for the Cthulu wizards to drop their freaking summon item...
    Goodness! I wasn't level 60 until a while after I finished the Giant of Babil part, towards the beginning of going through the Lunar dungeon. Of course, I never really got all of the summons in the game aside from the main ones.
    You should collect them, they are awesome and the Mindflayer summon is a Paralyze spell with 100% accuracy against creatures that are not immune to paralyze (basically it works on everything but bosses and a handful of enemies). Bomb is the funniest and coolest summon in the game.

I had insane levels from trying to get the summons. Thank god they carry over so I don't have to do it again, instead I'll be grinding for the Onion gear in my second playthrough. Despite having insanely high levels, I still found battles to be challenging in the game. Golbez was able to kick my parties ass several times despite Cecil and Yang being in the 70+ range. Equipment definetly plays a large role in this title. Despite half my party being maxed level when I got to the final dungeon, I still found the Dark Sages and Red Dragons to be more than I can handle through plain brute force. You really need strategy at the end of the game and that's why I love FFIV DS.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    My characters are at level 60-65 and the enemies on the moon still pack a punch.
    Follow the leveling guide I just posted and you should be fine. Run away from everything except Blue, Gold, and Silver Dragons. All of them are vulnerable to Stop, so it's a very easy way to level.

I had insane levels from trying to get the summons. Thank god they carry over so I don't have to do it again, instead I'll be grinding for the Onion gear in my second playthrough. Despite having insanely high levels, I still found battles to be challenging in the game. Golbez was able to kick my parties ass several times despite Cecil and Yang being in the 70+ range. Equipment definetly plays a large role in this title. Despite half my party being maxed level when I got to the final dungeon, I still found the Dark Sages and Red Dragons to be more than I can handle through plain brute force. You really need strategy at the end of the game and that's why I love FFIV DS.
    Dark Sages deal way too much damage and are worth basically no exp, so I don't even bother with them. However, Red Dragons aren't too much of a problem if you can get Berserk off on them fast. Also, once you get all of the gears that are in the Lunar dungeon, the Thermal Rays aren't too bad.