View Poll Results: What do you think of Filler arcs?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • God I hate them... Writers of such arcs should BE murdered in the most gruesome ways with a spork...

7 58.33%
  • I'd rather see [insert main character] thwart an alien invasion than not watch a new episode!

2 16.67%
  • Meh... Don't really care... Don't have an opinion... Don't have free will...

0 0%
  • Captain Planet says RECYCLE!!! Or I'll smurfing kill you...

3 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God I hate filler...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Angry God I hate filler...

This is an anime topic... and one that has to do with those obnoxious 300+ episode series so those who hate anime or popular drawn out series need not apply to this topic.

So I was bored and watching Bleach on Adult Swim last night. I'm somewhat happy cause they finally got past the tediously boring "Bount arc" and have finally got back on track with the actual canon part of the story.

Course I'm getting quite annoyed with characters from the filler arc popping up and acting like main characters and I'm really annoyed with pacing issues caused by the story trying to explain how the Bount Arc doesn't really retcon the plot cause they were clever about Rukia and Ishida

Overall, there is nothing I despise more than filler arcs. I'd rather have a series go off the air or go into rerun limbo than watch massive and poorly done story arcs that alter the plot significantly and don't go anywhere but need to be treated as canon for the sake of continuity.

This is another reason why I don't really watch Naruto or Bleach anymore is because of this stuff. At least One Piece got its together and found a system that calls for fewer filler arcs. I think Sailor Moon is the only series that seems to have done it right... Especially since we don't see the Sailor Senshi talking about the Moonlight Knight in SuperS or Sailor Stars.

[END RANT]

So what are your thoughts on fillers?

Usually I don't have the attention span for them. :/

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I just wait for them to pile up and then watch them online and skip around when I get bored with it :P

It's much more enjoyable that way xD

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It's rare that I actually stick with a long television series or whatever, so I don't get a lot of filler to put up with. I'm not a fan of it, but if it's done relatively well I don't mind. If it's blatantly filler for the sake of filler, then it can be quite irritating, but if it actually has some relevance or it's actually interesting then I'm not too bothered by it.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I dislike them because they're usually told in a way that is completely different from the main story; character regression, old and already used gags, things of that nature. But sometimes, there's some decent filler that doesn't entirely suck over an extended period of time. The Orange League of the Pokemon series is the only filler worth watching for shows I've seen that comes to mind. There's single episode fillers, but those are usually done in short series, and done superbly (e.g., Samurai Champloo's baseball episode).

Then again, I just downloaded the third and fourth season of Pokemon, along with the first eight movies.

I agree with Tavrobel.

Some fillers are cool and can add something to the series. But fillers just for the sake of filling just suck.

well some fillers are acctually helpful like the next two in bleeach when AS gets there

Blog Entries

I wouldnt mind the bleach filler as much if they had just pretended it never happened after they finished like the Naruto fillers, but those damn modsouls hung around and when shipudden turned out to be really slow i pretty much stoped watching anime and started to read manga. I find that one of the things more annoying than a filler episode is filler inside a cannon episode.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

well i know AS has the(SPOILER)vizards next if im not mistaken

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I don't mind fillers all that much. But they only mostly pop up in shonen and I don't read the manga a lot for that. So the fillers don't bother me that much. Except when my friend comes over and he's read the manga and watched the subs and talks about about how it gets better when this part is over.

Filler or not I got bored with the Bount Arc in Bleach cause it dragged. Stupid Ishida just had to shoot the thingy into the other thingy that made it go on for another twenty episodes.

I don't mind fillers. They can be hilarious sometimes, and at other times the longer filler arcs can be interesting such as the Bount Arc which I liked because of its interesting villains, developed backstory, and nice moral dilemmas.

Filler for the sake of filler is never a good thing, though, but when filler information is integrated into the story and becomes part of the overall plot, it becomes much more satisfying.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fillers?

One word: Dragonball Z

Okay, one word + a letter. Still annoys the hell out of you though.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Bleach has actually had a more respectable reputation with fillers than most of its bretheren, though this is not something you would notice during the US broadcast.

Where its pals like Naruto and DBZ would do extended fillers to give the manga time to catch up, I know Bleach has at least taken a break entirely from broadcasting instead of doing fillers. So, if Bleach were more popular, there could have been *more* fillers.

Thing is though, these shows are made for children, and they are made to sell toys and keep a franchise going. The more popular shows can't afford to take a break, to give children a chance to latch on to another product. It's all business related. Children really do have lower quality standards so companies can get away with the filler as long as they fulfill certain requirements in an episode. They dont' care about 'us', the older people, because we are not buying their toys.

So for the most part, I no longer watch shows that are made for children and value having their product in view at all times more than maintaining a consistent quality.

As for DBZ, dude, these new shows have far surpassed DBZ's level of pointless fillers. However, I've mentioned here before, there is a 'new version' of DBZ showing in Japan now called Dragon Ball Kai. It is astounding just how fast it is going by chopping out all of the fluff and keeping the pacing closer to the manga. The last episode of Dragon Ball Kai I watched was episode 7, and they were doing stuff there that originally happened in the 20th episode. Twenty! They have the luxury of doing this not only because the manga ended a long time ago, but the animation was finished a long time ago too :P

There are a lot of anime that are created from 'finished' manga, but they tend not to be of the Bleach/DBZ level Shounen variety, and not nearly as long. Filler is less of an issue if the anime company is not trying to establish a franchise off of a currently running manga.

The solution to such a dilemma is quite simple, stop watching them. There are MUCH better animes out there.
    FFX-2 FMV's Upscaled and Filtered to 720p (link fixed)

The games I've beaten...

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | X-2 | XII

The solution to such a dilemma is to STOP watching Naruto and Bleach. Hell, I'm sick of it just from seeing all of the cosplayers. Besides, there are MUCH better animes out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    At least One Piece got its together and found a system that calls for fewer filler arcs. I think Sailor Moon is the only series that seems to have done it right... Especially since we don't see the Sailor Senshi talking about the Moonlight Knight in SuperS or Sailor Stars.
    Unfortunately, North America never got Season 5 (Sailor Stars) because the series aged with it's audience into something not exactly meant for kids. Unfortunate that it never completed for North America, but fortunate because I hate english dubs on japanese animes.
    FFX-2 FMV's Upscaled and Filtered to 720p (link fixed)

The games I've beaten...

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | X-2 | XII