Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weakest Final Fantasy Villain

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

Illuia(sp?) (FFTA2): Really poorly developed, when the game ends you keep asking yourself who she was and why it was important. Thats not a way to make a main villain... The Ivalice team should stick to morally ambiguous villains like Vayne and Sidney.
    This. She was never explained, never given a motive, never developed... She was just there, like so much of FFTA2's "story" was. Really, people blame FFTA for being bad, but at least it had a followable plot and a 'villain' (though the nice thing about FFTA is that it's really difficult to say who the villain was. Even Remedi isn't really one). FFTA2's story was just laughably bad and random. I mean, WTH? I finished the game and still can't remember for the life of me what it was about. Ilua was just the final drip that killed the game for me.

Or no, scratch that and make FFTA2's final boss the final drip. Pure tacked-on-ness. People complain about Necron? Meet the Final Boss who has no name of FFTA2 who is even less explained than Necron and has no lines or background at all. At least Necron has the theory of being the Iifa Tree's Soul Core going for him. But TA2's final boss? Niks, nihil, nada. He truly was a random monster that just showed up. Compared to him (?), Necron is a deep and developed character and villain.

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

I'd have to say Zemus. They waited too long or the reveal. You never get a chance to really hate him, the way you do with most other villains.

...Necron, I refuse to even acknowledge.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'd probably say Seymour. I recently replayed FFX and enjoyed the game more than ever before, yet Seymour was one of the aspects of the game that really didn't go up in my estimation. There's little to no surprise from the player when he's revealed to be villainous, he's not particularly interesting and about the only enjoyable thing about him is the boss fights against him and that lovely battle theme of his for the fourth battle.

Sephiroth isn't terribly amazing either, though Jenova itself is pretty freaky. Ultimecia is really quite weak and always, in my view, seemed to have just been tacked on at the end. A lot of the criticisms of Seymour probably just as equally apply to her, but at least she doesn't have as much screentime as Seymour. Toss up between the two of them, but I must say Ultimecia.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

cloud of death, was pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Sephiroth isn't terribly amazing either, though Jenova itself is pretty freaky.
    Sephiroth can use all of JENOVA's abilities. So I'd say he is pretty "freaky" as well.

I choose Seymour and X-Death.

After all, X-Death became very powerful because of Void, but it's useless to have power you cannot control. And Seymour, well...poor Seymour. Just an extra villain. He should have more story and more power. She should have been fused with Yu-Yevon and finally control Yu-Yevon himself after you release Jecht. Then he would have been a great villain.

Zemus and Cloud of Darkness are very powerful villains. The embodiement of darkness. Actually Zande is the villain of Final Fantasy III, but there was not very much Zande. And Darkness alone...hmph...Dark Cloud is more like Necron. They are both no villains.

Shuyin (FFX-2) and Genesis (FFVII: CC): When bad guys feel like people I went to high school with I feel we have a problem. Shuyin whines around about a lost love despite the fact its his own damn fault they got killed and still feels the world should pay? Whiny loser is more like it.
    It's stated by Maechen, the best source we really have on Spira, that she would have died anyway thanks to Bevelle. Either that or she would have been sacrificed as a Fayth like the other summoners.

Besides it's not like Shuyin told her to come there. She came of her own free will. If she hadn't, he could have started up Vegnagun and killed everybody and she be fine.

Also he's quite right in his assessment.
    "...Spira hasn't really changed at all. Everyone's still fighting over nothing; still dying like they used to. A thousand years have passed and they can't leave the hatred behind."

So his reason for destroying everything is also reasonable.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Shuyin (FFX-2) and Genesis (FFVII: CC): When bad guys feel like people I went to high school with I feel we have a problem. Shuyin whines around about a lost love despite the fact its his own damn fault they got killed and still feels the world should pay? Whiny loser is more like it.
    It's stated by Maechen, the best source we really have on Spira, that she would have died anyway thanks to Bevelle. Either that or she would have been sacrificed as a Fayth like the other summoners.

Besides it's not like Shuyin told her to come there. She came of her own free will. If she hadn't, he could have started up Vegnagun and killed everybody and she be fine.

Also he's quite right in his assessment.
    "...Spira hasn't really changed at all. Everyone's still fighting over nothing; still dying like they used to. A thousand years have passed and they can't leave the hatred behind."

So his reason for destroying everything is also reasonable.
    Yet he's finally defeated when his true love shows up and tells him to come home with her? He lacks conviction in my book.

Yes, she would have died if she fought and then he would be killed by Sin so obviously they were both screwed to begin with but he turned the situation into the worst case scenario for himself so its difficult for me to garner sympathy. Especially when he turns it around and cites it as his justification cause he's a screw up. Just like my acquaintance in high school...

He's similar to Seymour in that regard, that I feel his back story doesn't really justify his action in the game and how he as a character turned out. I'm still waiting to see the five other incidents that turned Seymour into a calculating power hungry megalomaniac and the three scenes that turned Shuyin into a justifiable misanthropic nihilist. :rolleyes2

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by cetra1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Sephiroth isn't terribly amazing either, though Jenova itself is pretty freaky.
    Sephiroth can use all of JENOVA's abilities. So I'd say he is pretty "freaky" as well.
    I was evaluating the characters in terms of impact on the story and the strength of their character rather than on raw, physical power. I suppose using the latter you're correct, but I stand by what I said.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Yet he's finally defeated when his true love shows up and tells him to come home with her? He lacks conviction in my book.
    There's a difference between conviction and stupidity.
    He was prepared to destroy the world. Why? For Lenne. She then shows up and tells him to stop. So...what is his motivation to continue? He wants to be with her and now he is.

He's similar to Seymour in that regard, that I feel his back story doesn't really justify his action in the game and how he as a character turned out. I'm still waiting to see the five other incidents that turned Seymour into a calculating power hungry megalomaniac and the three scenes that turned Shuyin into a justifiable misanthropic nihilist
    A millennium of pain and suffering seems like decetn enough justification for not wanting to exist any more.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know, take an antagonist with a similar back story, like Krelian from Xenogears. Loses the love of his life in a senseless war, she practically sacrifices herself to save him and the other troops. He not only loses faith in the god she preached of ("If there is no god then I will make one...") but eventually joins the enemy he was fighting at the time to find new meaning for his life. He proceeds to make himself indispensable to Solaris and ultimately comes to control it.

Restarts a plan to wipe out humanity and 500 years of pain and wrenching his soul and what happens when he meets his love again in her reincarnated form? Saids he's gone too far and has to complete what he started. He had delved so heavily in his new philosophy that even the cries of the one he cared for and took this course of action for, could not change him. As he said, "I have done so many horrible crimes in my lifetime that I could never go back. The only one who could forgive me now is god..."

He had conviction, Shuyin's suffering wasn't enough apparently to make him stick to his guns. Even if she did reappear, I feel he should have held onto his animosity since he's been supposedly dealing with it for 1000 years. Her appearing should have made him happy but not change his mind about punishing Spira. Instead he's like "Ok sweety pie! Let's go home!" and proceeds to leave like he hasn't been a whiny asshole for the last few cutscenes. To me, that's oversimplifying things to reach a happy conclusion and it shows how lousy the writing is. He has a child's mentality and attention span. :rolleyes2

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

Garland..................

For those who are saying Garland is the worse.... Your right. But come on... FF1 is in the top tier for generic rpgs, but for an NES game even Garland had some personality.

Zemus is tougher. His EXTREMELY late arrival doesn't help his case but he at least seems like he belongs in the game. Anyways their has to be a scapegoat for Golbez once you find out he's Cecil's brother... and they didnt want you to know that until very late anyway.

Ex-Death.... haha now that is a crappy boss. Gilgamesh is the man though so he helps.

Kefka I always thought seemed to weak by apperance. He reminds me of a court jester or something along those lines. However he kills General Leo so... i guess he's tougher then he looks. His saving grace is his fantastic lines.

Sephiroth I like... and I'll say no more.

Necron really is terrible isn't he? Kuja was kinda like Kefka for me. Seemed weak....wasn't weak(Eidolons) and had fantastic lines. In fact Kuja is one of my favorite villians. It's to bad he wasn't just the final boss.

So yeah Ex-Death or Necron must be the worst.
    The Dude Abides...

Well there are a couple differences between Krelian/Sophia and Shuyin/Lenne....

1. Not a big difference but the former is unrequited; Sophia only ever loved Lacan.
    2. Krelian's plan kinda worked. He ascended to the the higher dimension with the Existence. Shuyin had his doomsday weapon destroyed. He had no real chance of destroying the world after that.

So yeah Shuyin lacked conviction when his conviction manifested in front of him and told him to knock it off.

But this all seems like we just have different conclusions of the same events and you can't really convince other people of your perspective..why it's your perspective ya know?

In Necrons defense, he was the final boss, but he wasn't really a Villain. He didn't have anything to do with the events of FF IX, and was summoned only when Kuja destroyed the Crystal, his last ditch effort to satisfy his own desires. That last fight was, for all intensive purposes, a way to demonstrate the Will of Zidane and Company, not some twist plot point at the end.

He was summoned by Kuja's strong desire for an end, yet repelled by the others desire to move forward.

That being said, I would say Ultimecia, but you do get to at least see some of her personality through her controlling Edea, so while I hate her and that game, I'm going to give my vote to Sephiroth.

First off, his back story is a stretch. "I was created to be a super soldier? Imma find mommy and destroy the world!" I can fully understand wanting revenge on those who did it to you, but to desire devouring the planet, becoming a god, and devouring other planets? No thanks.

And all of his villianry was kind of lame. Except the destruction of Neifleheim, or however it was spelled.

I'd say Aerith dying, but the impact was probably lessed for Aerith being a rather unlikeable character to me. And he didn't really do it to be evil, he did it because if he didn't his plan would fail.

Compare that to the other villians. Kefka poisened an entire kingdom killing innocents and even his own men for convenience. Kuja destroyed the face of Terra and turned an entire continent against eachother, killing countless people and corrupting hearts.

Hell, even Yu-Yevon creating Sin to reek a never-ending destruction upon Spira.

Even amongst the lamest of the FF Villians Sephiroth really hasn't done anything that makes him stand out.

Zeromus - Completelly random. Even more than Zemus.

Kefka - A coward following orders. Became a god trough sircumstance and luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Even amongst the lamest of the FF Villians Sephiroth really hasn't done anything that makes him stand out.
    Only if you conveniently ignore all the chaos he caused, by using Jenova's body, the Weapons, and Meteor.

But I agree with whoever said that Shinra had more presence then him.
    Last edited by The Crystal; 06-06-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Question: Do you know why Kefka succeeded in destroying the planet?

Answer: Because the planet didn't fight back.