Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weakest Final Fantasy Villain

Quote Originally Posted by The Crystal View Post
    Zeromus - Completelly random. Even more than Zemus.

Kefka - A coward following orders. Became a god trough sircumstance and luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Even amongst the lamest of the FF Villians Sephiroth really hasn't done anything that makes him stand out.
    Only if you conveniently ignore all the chaos he caused, by using Jenova's body, the Weapons, and Meteor.

But I agree with whoever said that Shinra had more presence then him.
    The only things that caused Chaos were Weapon and Meteor. And Weapons weren't really part of the plan, more of a side effect. Summoning them to Cause Chaos wasn't really importatn, Meteor was what was important.

Now true, Meteor did cause Chaos, and the summoning of meteor was the definitive Goal. However, even the Chaos caused by Meteor was used by Shinra to further gain control of the populace.

I mean anything Sephiroth did that caused Chaos was outclassed by the damned side villains. It makes it hard to really give much credit at all to the guy when he fails at being a villain by comparison to the games other villains.

Anything he did in that game just seems so bland as a result.

Edit: In short, if the main villain of a game doesn't even stand out after doing something, he hardly seems like a good villain.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Genesis i guess, he doesnt even fit in the "villain" category..
    The only cool thing about Genesis was that apple he was carrying everywhere..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Blog Entries

I disagree, I believe he planned to betray Gestahl from the very begining as well as planning to steal the statues magic. Circumstance had little to do with it.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    I disagree, I believe he planned to betray Gestahl from the very begining as well as planning to steal the statues magic. Circumstance had little to do with it.
    He does mention his goal of attaining the Warring Triad in the Magitech factory.

FF7 - Palmer.

don't u θink? i 罠 β wiθ u

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
    FF7 - Palmer.

But he gets hit by a truck! That makes him awesome in my book!

True. But the problem is not what he wanted to do or what he did, but how he did it.
    From what I remember, Kefka didn't have idea how to find the statues. He just waited for Ghestal to lead him to it, while following his orders and acting like a coward.
    The reason why I think it's hard to take Kefka seriously, is that he was too dependant on the Empire and Ghestal.

NeoCracker, Sephiroth killed a lot of people on his way to the Crater, including the president of the most powerful company/government on the planet. I think this can be considered as causing chaos.
    Not to mention that even the planet wasn't able to stop him(Holy was useless while he was alive).
    And yes, the Weapons were a side-effect. But a side-effect caused by him, and that helped him.

Every main-villain caused a lot of chaos on their respective worlds, directly or indirectly. I don't believe there is a single main-villain who "hasn't done anything that makes him stand out" like you said.

And normally, the side-villains have a bigger presence in the story than the main villains. The Empire was more present in the story than Kefka. The Alexandria Kingdom was more present than Kuja too. The same for the Galbadia army in relation to Ultimecia/Edea.
    That's something normal.

Question: Do you know why Kefka succeeded in destroying the planet?

Answer: Because the planet didn't fight back.

True. But the problem is not what he wanted to do or what he did, but how he did it.
    From what I remember, Kefka didn't have idea how to find the statues. He just waited for Ghestal to lead him to it, while following his orders and acting like a coward.
    The reason why I think it's hard to take Kefka seriously, is that he was too dependant on the Empire and Ghestal.

NeoCracker, Sephiroth killed a lot of people on his way to the Crater, including the president of the most powerful company/government on the planet. I think this can be considered as causing chaos.
    Not to mention that even the planet wasn't able to stop him(Holy was useless while he was alive).
    And yes, the Weapons were a side-effect. But a side-effect caused by him, and that helped him.

Every main-villain caused a lot of chaos on their respective worlds, directly or indirectly. I don't believe there is a single main-villain who "hasn't done anything that makes him stand out" like you said.

And normally, the side-villains have a bigger presence in the story than the main villains. The Empire was more present in the story than Kefka. The Alexandria Kingdom was more present than Kuja too. The same for the Galbadia army in relation to Ultimecia/Edea.
    That's something normal.
    I can 't vouce for I - III, but most FF's the main Villain gets the spotlight. IV it admitingly goes to Golbez, 5 definately went to Ex-death. Mostly because he really was the only Villian I can think of.

And the empire had a lot of spotlight in VI yes, but Kefka is the one doing a lot of the deeds. He's the one that poisened Doma, destroyed Thamasa, and many other things before WoR. Then he betrays Ghestal, and the world undergoes a little 'boom' and he proceeds to rule over it. I'd say Kefka stood out most there.

VIII, I won't comment on.

IX, I don't see how anyone stands out over Kefka.

X I'll give to seymore as standing out more then Sin, though this could depend on how one looks at it, so its a toss up.

And I didn't play far enough into XII to comment.

Sephiroth just doesn't stand out in his own game, which makes him seem weak. If Shinra had not been there, however, he likely would have had more of a pressance for me.

Finally, how did the Weapons help Sephiroth? Its not like anything would have changed for him had they been their or not, as the Junon Cannon is basically the only thing that could break the Barrier. All weapon did was make a delay in how long until the cannon shot the barrier down.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    But he gets hit by a truck! That makes him awesome in my book!
    Yeah... but he's still pretty weak. I bet even Heidegger would've just laughed it off.
    don't u θink? i 罠 β wiθ u

Eh, I wouldn't regard Necron as the villain of FFIX. As someone said, Necron was like a last ditch effort of Kuja. Necron would be the last minute villain if he was like responsible for everything or if Kuja was Necron's subordinate or something like that, which isn't the case. Kuja's still the villain, Necron's simply the final boss.

Anyways, I was about to make a list and I realize the only villains I actually liked were Kefka and Kuja. Others were either underdeveloped or underwhelming or just plain out stupid (*coughgenesiscough*), and Kefka and Kuja seemed like the two exceptions. So, I'm just going to leave it at that.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah, no, I wouldn't even consider Necron a villain, much less the villain of IX. To me, Necron was an entity, just a representation of what Zidane and the gang was up against. Necron as an entity was introduced at the very end, but the concept he objectifies was present throughout the game. People are just so rooted in the idea of the last boss equalling the main villain. Kuja was always the main villain of Final Fantasy IX.

I can 't vouce for I - III, but most FF's the main Villain gets the spotlight. IV it admitingly goes to Golbez, 5 definately went to Ex-death. Mostly because he really was the only Villian I can think of.

And the empire had a lot of spotlight in VI yes, but Kefka is the one doing a lot of the deeds. He's the one that poisened Doma, destroyed Thamasa, and many other things before WoR. Then he betrays Ghestal, and the world undergoes a little 'boom' and he proceeds to rule over it. I'd say Kefka stood out most there.

X I'll give to seymore as standing out more then Sin, though this could depend on how one looks at it, so its a toss up.

Sephiroth just doesn't stand out in his own game, which makes him seem weak. If Shinra had not been there, however, he likely would have had more of a pressance for me.
    I was talking about physical presence(on-screen). But if we are talking about spotlight, then it's obvious Sephiroth have more than Shinra.
    During the first half of FFVII, the party was following him across the planet(hell, that's the main reason why they left Midgar and started traveling the world), and during the second half, the party and Shinra were trying to stop him(by destroying his Meteor, or his Barrier).
    Not to mention his connection and rivalry with the main character of the story.

The spotlight was Sephiroth. Shinra was just a side-villain appearing in the way.
    Actually, we can compare it with FFX. Sephiroth = Sin. Shinra = the Maesters.

Finally, how did the Weapons help Sephiroth? Its not like anything would have changed for him had they been their or not, as the Junon Cannon is basically the only thing that could break the Barrier. All weapon did was make a delay in how long until the cannon shot the barrier down.
    Exactly, the Weapons delayed his enemies. That's the point.
    Sephiroth was waiting for Meteor, and he needed something to delay his enemies until that point. This is why he created the Barrier around the Crater in the first place. And the Weapons helped too.
    Let's not forget they were attacking cities with Mako Reactors on them(ex: Junon and Midgar) too. By destroying the Reactors, the Weapons would stop them from sucking Lifestream, giving more of it to Sephiroth absorb, when Meteor hit the planet.
    Not to mention that they mortally injured the president of Shinra, and fought against the party many times.
    The Weapons helped alot dude.

@The Crystal Seriously, when mortally injuring someone is considered a highlight of an antagonist's malice, it should give away that the villain poorly executes malice. Sephiroth didn't do a whole lot to the world in the end. He killed a few people, injured a few more, destroyed Midgar, but that is about it and phails in comparision to what other villains have done. Nearly everything Sephiroth attempted was foiled eventually, while that isn't the case with other villains.

I was talking about physical presence(on-screen). But if we are talking about spotlight, then it's obvious Sephiroth have more than Shinra.
    During the first half of FFVII, the party was following him across the planet(hell, that's the main reason why they left Midgar and started traveling the world), and during the second half, the party and Shinra were trying to stop him(by destroying his Meteor, or his Barrier).
    Not to mention his connection and rivalry with the main character of the story.

The spotlight was Sephiroth. Shinra was just a side-villain appearing in the way.
    Actually, we can compare it with FFX. Sephiroth = Sin. Shinra = the Maesters.

Exactly, the Weapons delayed his enemies. That's the point.
    Sephiroth was waiting for Meteor, and he needed something to delay his enemies until that point. This is why he created the Barrier around the Crater in the first place. And the Weapons helped too.
    Let's not forget they were attacking cities with Mako Reactors on them(ex: Junon and Midgar) too. By destroying the Reactors, the Weapons would stop them from sucking Lifestream, giving more of it to Sephiroth absorb, when Meteor hit the planet.
    Not to mention that they mortally injured the president of Shinra, and fought against the party many times.
    The Weapons helped alot dude.
    On screeen Shinra always had the spotlight non Sephiroth. Even after he summoned meteor, Shinra turning you into a scapegoat, their scrambling for the Huge Materia, and blowing the hell out of the Weapon attacking Junon.

And really, Weapon barely slowed Shinra Down. They were focused on gathering Huge Materia for the Rocket to stop Meteor. It wasn't until later they funally fired the Junon Cannon, and all Weapon did was make them have to fire it a second time...

Sephiroth successfully bought himself like, 2 hours our so with Weapon is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Zora View Post
    @The Crystal Seriously, when mortally injuring someone is considered a highlight of an antagonist's malice, it should give away that the villain poorly executes malice. Sephiroth didn't do a whole lot to the world in the end. He killed a few people, injured a few more, destroyed Midgar, but that is about it and phails in comparision to what other villains have done. Nearly everything Sephiroth attempted was foiled eventually, while that isn't the case with other villains.
    Why do you ignore his malice of breaking Cloud's mind? Why do you ignore his holding back of Holy, proving that his will was even stronger than the Planet's? Why do you ignore the chaos caused by the Weapons and Meteor? Why do you ignore the fact that, from the beggining of the story, he already wanted to: break Cloud's mind, summon Meteor, regenerate his body, and merge with Jenova, and that in the end, he succeeded in doing all that? Why do you ignore that he is the FF villain with the biggest number of oposition(The main party, the whole world's government(Shinra), and even the living planet!)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is the best FF villain ever, or the most successful, or the strongest, or blah blah blah, etc, etc.
    I just think that we shouldn't forget or ignore his accomplishments.