Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weakest Final Fantasy Villain

Default Weakest Final Fantasy Villain

I looked back about eight pages and I didn't see anything about this so I figured I was safe to create this..... I hope.

So who do you think is the weakest Final Fantasy villian and I don't mean in terms of power I mean in terms of impact on the story and the gamer. What villian was the absolute most unintimidating bad guy, or who did feel had almost no bearing on the story. Which villian failed to make you hate and fear them. Perhaps you like more a more humanized villian and theres a bad guy who just didn't make you sympathize with them. I know different people have different views on what makes a strong villian, but lets see who you think was the weakest villian in the series and this includes spin offs.

Ummm.... Sephiroth was pretty much not as kick ass as I thought he'd be. :\ Took 2 turns to kill him.
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Yu-Yevon, lols.

I had to change my entire answer because I didn't fully pay attention to the AJman's post. See my post below!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Lets see...

Zemus: Now don't get me wrong, I like Zemus and I enjoy his motive and reasoning but I do feel they waited far too long to reveal him. He's just outshined by Golbez.

Emperor Gestahl: generic, evil, world conquering, power hungry, emperor. The best part of VI is when he bows out at the end of ACT 1.

Sephiroth: I'm so going to get nailed for this one, but honestly, I felt Sephiroth was basically a more involved version of Zemus. You're chasing him around, and while the game keeps trying to convince you he's the bigger threat, you have Shin-Ra doing outrageous atrocities in the world. I really feel that Sephiroth is just outshined by the heads of Shin-Ra and the game could never convince me otherwise.

Ultimecia: I really feel its her poorly given backstory that puts the nail in the coffin for her. She's a very calculating and intriguing villain but I feel she's more like an NES villain than a modern RPG villain.

Seymour: Chatty villain who is more of an annoyance than a threat. It gets downright laughable towards the end of the game. He could easily be written out of the plot and it wouldn't really affect the games plot too dramatically (hell make it 10 hours shorter which is a bonus for this game).

Yu-Yevon: they did a terrible job explaining anything about this guy and once again he feels like a throwback to villains like CoD, Zeromus, and Necron. Also Necron is honorably mentioned here as well.

Shuyin (FFX-2) and Genesis (FFVII: CC): When bad guys feel like people I went to high school with I feel we have a problem. Shuyin whines around about a lost love despite the fact its his own damn fault they got killed and still feels the world should pay? Whiny loser is more like it. Then you have Genesis who feels like a emo kid mixed with the more deranged VII fanboys who whines around about how he isn't as cool as Sephiroth and spout terrible poetry at the drop of a hat... Genesis makes Sephiroth down right respectable. I could easily nickname both of them after people I knew in high school and that just makes them outright laughable in my book.

Illuia(sp?) (FFTA2): Really poorly developed, when the game ends you keep asking yourself who she was and why it was important. Thats not a way to make a main villain... The Ivalice team should stick to morally ambiguous villains like Vayne and Sidney.

Those are the main ones that come to mind, I haven't finished XII:RW yet but I'm starting to think I may need to add the Judge of Wings since she feels like a rip-off of Shuyin so far.

I just realized that I completely misread the first post, so now I have to write a new one since my first one has nothing to do with the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Zemus: Now don't get me wrong, I like Zemus and I enjoy his motive and reasoning but I do feel they waited far too long to reveal him. He's just outshined by Golbez.
    I hate these last-minute throw-in villains. This was the same issue I had with Necron, though they were much worse with it when it came to Necron.

Seymour: Chatty villain who is more of an annoyance than a threat. It gets downright laughable towards the end of the game. He could easily be written out of the plot and it wouldn't really affect the games plot too dramatically (hell make it 10 hours shorter which is a bonus for this game).
    I don't think I've spoken to anyone that actually likes Seymour.

Shuyin (FFX-2) and Genesis (FFVII: CC): When bad guys feel like people I went to high school with I feel we have a problem. Shuyin whines around about a lost love despite the fact its his own damn fault they got killed and still feels the world should pay? Whiny loser is more like it. Then you have Genesis who feels like a emo kid mixed with the more deranged VII fanboys who whines around about how he isn't as cool as Sephiroth and spout terrible poetry at the drop of a hat... Genesis makes Sephiroth down right respectable. I could easily nickname both of them after people I knew in high school and that just makes them outright laughable in my book.
    Goodness. I never really had the motivation to play this game, but when you put it like that...

Alright so here goes my list:

Zeromus
    Necron

And my list ends up being not very much different from my original one. Alright, so you can nit-pick and tear down every shoddy villain as Wolf Kanno has, but I think I'll just limit my selection down to the absolute worst-of-the-worst. Ultimecia and Sephiroth sorta tie for me in terms of being poor villains, but they still aren't nearly as bad as Necron and Zeromus are for obvious reasons.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Emperor Gestahl: generic, evil, world conquering, power hungry, emperor. The best part of VI is when he bows out at the end of ACT 1.
    The think the personal role he played in Tina's childhood makes him sufficiently despicable.

But Seymour, man. What a useless guy.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree with you that's he's a despicable villain but it doesn't really change the fact he's a pretty "by the book" cliche evil ruler.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Genesis. All he does is quote that poem thing and he looks like my aunt. It's weird.

Necron, 'nuff said.

Lol. Seymour looks like my grandma with long blue hair.
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think Zeromus is as tacked-on as people make him out to be, and I don't really see what the problem is with him. Plus his purpose fits the theme of the story perfectly.

Necron, though. Now there's a tacked-on villain that just falls out of the sky at the last minute. As much as I love IX, I can't really defend Necron except by shrugging him off and counting him as some kind of bonus final battle. That plus the fact that every character in my party were basically gods by the end, and I think Necron is a safe call for weakest in every sense of the word.

Garland, FF1.

I GARLAND SHALL KNOCK YOU ALL DOWN!

What a joke.

Great game, though.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Blog Entries

I'd say either Garland or Yu-Yevon.
    I mean, seriously. One kidnapped a princess or whatever and the other is just...the same thing as a flea. Honestly.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV