Thread: Thinking of trying again

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Default Thinking of trying again

So I'm thinking of playing this again I just have a couple of questions.

So Holy, an offensive spell, has to be taught to the one with the highest spirit. Even though that's raised by curative and support magic.

And I should keep my Blood Swords to really lay into final boss right?

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    So Holy, an offensive spell, has to be taught to the one with the highest spirit. Even though that's raised by curative and support magic.
    Yes, because it's still classified as a White magic.

And I should keep my Blood Swords to really lay into final boss right?
    Yes. Just keep them so you have them as an option when you get to the last boss.

FFXIV Character

It's still confusing cause Holy is suppose to hit really, really hard. And the first time I played and taught it to Maria (My caster type) it was lamer than Blizzard at the start of the game. It wasn't until later I learned I was suppose to teach to Firion (My healer type) and that killed all motivation I had left to finish the game. But I'm going to try again now that I have it confirmed in my mind.

EDIT: Would like some other general tips. For like Unarmed, would it be better if they were completely unequiped like the Monks in the first game. Also what's the best weapon for a caster type?

And I'm having some fun with "roles" the three are suppose to fall into. Especially with Gus. After an hour of screwing around in front of Altair here's my team.

Firion, he's bare-handed and my healer. 40 HP/16 MP
    Maria, she dual wields broadswords. 81 HP/5 MP
    Gus, currently with his Ax and he's my caster type. 40 HP/24 MP.
    Last edited by Vermachtnis; 05-26-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Firion, he's bare-handed and my healer. 40 HP/16 MP
    Maria, she dual wields broadswords. 81 HP/5 MP
    Gus, currently with his Ax and he's my caster type. 40 HP/24 MP.
    Haha, that sounds pretty cool actually.

EDIT: Would like some other general tips. For like Unarmed, would it be better if they were completely unequiped like the Monks in the first game. Also what's the best weapon for a caster type?
    To level unarmed, you only need to have your weapons unequipped. You can still wear armour without suffering any penalties. Also, it doesn't matter what weapons you choose to wear for your caster, as I believe none of them have any affect on Spirit, Intelligence, or Magic.

It's still confusing cause Holy is suppose to hit really, really hard. And the first time I played and taught it to Maria (My caster type) it was lamer than Blizzard at the start of the game. It wasn't until later I learned I was suppose to teach to Firion (My healer type) and that killed all motivation I had left to finish the game. But I'm going to try again now that I have it confirmed in my mind.
    Well, my Maria currently has 92 Spirit and I'm dealing about 1400~1500 damage on most monsters, and Flare is doing about the same with 90 Intelligence. I'm still in the process of leveling Blizzard, Fire, and Thunder, which will take a while since I'm playing the GBA version of this game [I don't have the luxury of the select-cancel exploit].

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Khalin View Post
    To level unarmed, you only need to have your weapons unequipped. You can still wear armour without suffering any penalties. Also, it doesn't matter what weapons you choose to wear for your caster, as I believe none of them have any affect on Spirit, Intelligence, or Magic.
    Awesome thanks. I still might have him use a Knife or Staff just because

And I was really curious about the Unarmed thing cause, for a lack of better word, Firion is naked and he hits harder than the other two combined. Maybe he's just that awesome xD

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

he hits harder, because with unarmed, you don't do as much damage, so you level your strength up more. Same thing goes for deëquipping armor to increase your def/hp because you simply need it more.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    he hits harder, because with unarmed, you don't do as much damage, so you level your strength up more. Same thing goes for deëquipping armor to increase your def/hp because you simply need it more.
    Ah that makes since. And also it's official all my save batteries in my PSOne memory cards are dead. They're all DEAD! So I'm playing the PSP version, which was kinda hard to track down.

Awesome thanks. I still might have him use a Knife or Staff just because

And I was really curious about the Unarmed thing cause, for a lack of better word, Firion is naked and he hits harder than the other two combined. Maybe he's just that awesome xD
    Yeah, that's how unarmed is during the first part of the game. Unarmed will outshine most of your weapons for a good portion of the game. However towards the end, you'll noticed that Unarmed seriously lacks in comparison to the end-game weapons, so keep that in mind.