Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV Online

Articles
    Blog Entries

I have to admit, I'm interested. With Uematsu as the composer and Yoshida doing the character designs this could shape up to something nice. FFXI for the current gen seems like it could be really good.

It says this Komoto guy worked on FFIX, but I can't seem to find what he was actually responsible for. Anyone know?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

The press conference was interesting. It seems they're really aiming more towards a casual gaming market (something WoW has done fantastically). As long as they don't sacrifice FFXI's depth, this doesn't bother me. Interesting explanation for their inclusion of FFXI's races, and I'm glad they clarified that it's otherwise completely unrelated to FFXI. Since they're aiming for a 2010 worldwide release, I imagine we'll start getting more information soon.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I for one, am absolutely excited.

I can't wait to see how SE goes about transitioning to the current generation, what with FFXI being so hardcore, gamers have a much more casual outlook on such things now (eg. People don't want to spend a good half hour or more travelling to a grind spot... or the next major city is just one thing).

As long as the love isn't lost... because FFXI is awesome xD!

Good lord....i better finish up all the expansions before the game comes out and people dry out the servers(if at least temporarily).

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Too bad it's going to go the way of Warhammer, Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings Online, and anything else that came out to try and dethrone World of Warcraft. Seriously guys, delusional much? It's just gonna be the same as FFXI with shinier graphics.

Assumptions suck, don't they? Damn WoW fanboys. You do realise there's still a lot of successful MMO's out there, right?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

If you define success as topping WoW you are ultimately going to fail. I highly doubt this, or any game in the next few years will be able to come close to overtaking WoW.

That being said, it doesn't have to outsell WoW to be a success. FF games don't out sell GTA games, but does that make them failures? They just have to be realistic when making their buisness plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rase View Post
    Good lord, why do people care so much about it being in the "numbered series"?
    Because people are ignorant. Nuff said

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rase View Post
    Good lord, why do people care so much about it being in the "numbered series"?
    Because most FF's is are a single player experience and even if i could somehow afford the game, my terrible internet service would lag and drop constantly, just ruining the experience to add.
    Fixed a bit for ya. Still, are you implying that if the game was named "Final Fantasy Online" you would not be unhappy with it, and that the only reason is because it is FFXIV? That is the effect that I am seeing some people say, and I can't for the life of me understand the reasoning behind that view. I can understand not being happy it's online, but just being unhappy with it based upon that fact that Square is making it Final Fantasy XIV is a bit ludicrous.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

First thing's first.... if you didn't really play enough FFXI to any serious degree, feel free to NOT make comments about things like the story or even go so far as to say it sucks. You don't know.

About the numbered thing... well, I sort of agree, but the ship has sailed... long ago. Obviously they are going to use the traditional series numbers for the online games.

Don't say it's not a "real" FF. How do you define a "real" FF game? It's got Cid, Chocobos, deep storyline (honestly deeper than any of the offline FFs). It's a Final Fantasy game if SE put Final Fantasy on the logo.

Now on to the real topic. All though I quit FFXI long ago due to SE's beyond terrible customer service and the impacts thereof on the game... the game was awesome and had a flavor that is irreplaceable. My wife and I both have an immense amount of nostalgia for it. I'm glad to see it continuing and the press conference makes me feel even better. It seems that SE is going to try to learn from their mistakes. Depending on how much they learn from their mistakes this game could be incredible.

For those thinking it will flop... you are simply wrong. It's going to likely attract the vast majority of FFXI players old and new (especially with them sending the death knell for FFXI in the press conference). If they fix most of the problems of FFXI then they will probably keep a large base.

Keep in mind FFXI has a fairly consistent base of 500,000 7 years in. While you might think this is a failure compared to WoW's 11 million this just isn't true. Just because something isn't #1 in sales doesn't make it a failure. As long as it is consistently sustainable and doesn't have a trend downward (losing players constantly) then it's a success. The thought that FFXIV won't achieve this after fixing the flaws of FFXI (which has achieved relative success) is just illogical.

Hopefully they make it approachable enough that some of you give it a try. While I still have my reservations about it (MMO+console = ugh, cross-region servers = racism), I think it will probably be pretty decent and I'm looking very forward to it.

Found this on another forum

tl dr - Square learned from it's mistakes in FFXI (which some were glaring) by catering to a more casual crowd, more diverse playstyles, and the graphics are beautiful. I hope its everything they wanted FFXI to be in the first place. I wasn't too interested at first, but if they really were to fix all those things, then i would not mind making a similar character that i have on FFXI in this new game.

FFXIV will be coming to the PS3 & PC. They are currently considering other hardware (including Microsoft hardware!)

Q: What are the ties to Final Fantasy XI, if any?

A: While you may have noticed that some of the same type of races appeared in the trailer, the world of FFXIV is different from FFXI. The reason that we made the races similar to the FFXI races is so FFXI players could choose a similar type of race in the new game. For example, in movies, you might have an actor that plays many different roles. Please, think of it that way.

Q: What happens to Final Fantasy XI now that we're moving to FFXIV? Are you going to phase it out or continue to publish new content for XI? How will the development team be split?

A: The development for FFXIV started 4 or 5 years ago with primary ideas. Development started a few years ago, while FFXI was still being supported. FFXI will continue to be supported. There is another year of content planned. There are no plans for the near future to stop development on FFXI.

Q: What influence have games like World of WarCraft have on the development of FFXIV?

A:As with WoW, we want to aim a bit for the casual user. However, we don't want to make a copy of WoW. We believe we will have things that are unique and will stand out from that game.

Q: Will combat be more action oriented or turn-based?

A: We cannot talk about the battle system at this time.

Q: FFXI has evolved a lot over the years, especially in the areas of player accessibility and the ability to solo. Will you carry over features like level sync and other features to FFXIV?

A: Yes. All of the knowledge and experience we gained from FFXI will be used in the development of FFXIV. At the launch, we intend to have content for solo players as well as large-scale battles. We want a wide-variety from the start.

Q: Are you planning a simultaneous worldwide release or will it be released in Japan first?

A: Yes. At the launch, this will be a worldwide simultaneous launch on PS3 and Windows PC. English, Japanese, German, and French versions released at launch.

Q: Will all servers be worldwide or split by territory?

A: The current plans are to have worldwide servers that are cross-platform and cross-region. We will do a beta test and look at the balance and player experience. We want to look for a good balance between region and cross-region play.

Q: Will you be taking feedback from your FFXI users?

A: Yes, we still get a lot of feedback from our FFXI players and will continue to take feedback as we move into beta. The game will change as it goes.

Q: Will you try to move players from XI to XIV or will they be separate communities?

A: It's up to the community themselves. We envision users that will hopefully play XI one day and XIV another. They will be independent, but users are free to play both.

Q: Are there plans to localize the game in Spanish?

A: Currently, there is no Spanish version in development. We'll consider it if enough Spanish-speaking users demand it from us. Getting good translators in Japan is hard, but if there's enough demand we will consider it.

Q: How can users transmit this demand?

A: We will conduct marketing research.

Q: Is there any special element in the MMO genre that you will improve with this game?

A: Our plan from the beginning was to make the best Final Fantasy game available. That is our vision for XIV. Then we thought, how can we make the best FF game and we came to the conclusion that it would be an MMORPG. It was decided to make the best FF first, then led to the decision to make it an MMORG and use that genre.

A: However, we are trying to implement a lot of new systems that other MMO's haven't used in the past

Q: I've been seeing information that the title is free to play, is this true?

A: No pricing has been decided at this time. It is still TBD.

Q: Why did you decide to make a new game rather than continue to evolve FFXI?

A: It all comes down to, originally, FFXI was designed for the PS2. It then moved to PC and Xbox 360. A lot of people have asked for a port to the PS3. With an MMORPG of this size, you have to develop new content. Porting to a new technology would take a lot of effort. Instead, we decided to use that time to make something new.

Q: Yesterday's trailer that was shown, was that running of a console or was it pre-rendered?

A: There were parts that were pre-rendered and parts that were running on the in-game engine.

Q: Is that the quality you're aiming for? The scene with the Galka fighting, is that what you're aiming for?

A: Yes, that is the part that was running in-engine.

Q: In that scene, we saw many parties and many enemies. Is this the new focus: many parties fighting many enemies?

A: I cannot say too much, but we hope to have battles that are many vs. many and many vs. one.

Q: What would you like to emphasize with this game? What is different from FFXI?

A: For FFXIV, the keyword that we've been using is "The Growth and Development of the Character." We will have the same type of storytelling and high-quality graphics. We also want to expand and create new in-game systems. The player can grow & develop in a more natural way without putting too much weight on the player. We will expand the job system to make it fairly different from the one in FFXI.

A: Another very important concept that takes a different direction from FFXI, for FFXIV we want to make it so the player can choose to play solo, in a party, 40 minutes, all-day... there will be content for ALL of those play styles and systems for all of those play styles.

Q: On the beta process, will current XI players get in?

A: As with the actual release date of the game, we don't have a concrete beta schedule yet. We will have a beta and look forward to more information about then shortly.

Q: Will FFXI characters be portable to XIV in any way?

A: The game is completely different. There will not be any XI character transfers to XIV. However, the character design is familiar and XI players will be able to create a similar character.

A: We will NOT be using PlayOnline, but friend lists will transfer over.

Q: If I'm new to the MMO genre, why would I choose FFXIV over other games?

A: We believe that players will fall in love with the world & story that we have created.

Q: I've been seeing information that the title is free to play, is this true?

A: No pricing has been decided at this time. It is still TBD.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

a few more:
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAM News
    The ZAM team sent a total of 10 questions to Square Enix this morning. Of these 10, four are answered below.

>> Will current owners of the Square Enix Security Token be able to use the same token they use in FFXI to secure their FFXIV account?

Players who have already obtained a SQUARE ENIX Security Token and have been using an OTP for FINAL FANTASY XI will not need to purchase a new one, and will be able to use their current one for XIV.

>> Will Final Fantasy XIV be available on Direct2Drive at launch?

Because of the estimated size of the game, we are aiming for a package release. However, we are also considering distribution via download.

>> People were ecstatic to hear about the beta. Can you tell us anything about it? Will it be a closed or open beta?

We are planning both closed and open beta testing periods. The schedule is not yet decided.

>> You've confirmed that FFXIV will not be using PlayOnline. Will FFXI continue to be launched through PlayOnline or will it be done away with completely?

As long as FINAL FANTASY XI service continues, PlayOnline will continue.

For the rest of the questions we don’t have any comment at this time. Glad to see you guys excited about FINAL FANTASY XIV!

ok here is my view on the Wow vs. FF games stuff...

you have WoW as the main thing for warcraft...I bet most the people on there never even played any of the other warcrafts, even after someone says they should

FFXI isnt the only game in that series thats memoriable....most people(the sane ones)would rather play the other games than sit on XI all night long

so in the majority of the games played in the series'

Warcraft WoW, and maybe warcraft 3 maybe
    FF XI 12 dissidea 7 8 6 9 4 2 1

in the long run square has no need to fight online battles...they got the offline set for a very long time

Quote Originally Posted by Masamunemaster View Post
    ok here is my view on the Wow vs. FF games stuff...

you have WoW as the main thing for warcraft...I bet most the people on there never even played any of the other warcrafts, even after someone says they should

FFXI isnt the only game in that series thats memoriable....most people(the sane ones)would rather play the other games than sit on XI all night long

so in the majority of the games played in the series'

Warcraft WoW, and maybe warcraft 3 maybe
    FF XI 12 dissidea 7 8 6 9 4 2 1

in the long run square has no need to fight online battles...they got the offline set for a very long time
    Wow, that is the most illogical post I have seen in a very long time. Are you here, with us, in the real world?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I'm legit excited. I have been into MMOs since before FFXI was released and was absolutely ready to blow when FFXI was announced. I played FFXI on and off for years, but never got very far (in fact, I only got past vulkrum once with a job). I really enjoyed the class systems and such but hated the UI since it was designed for the PS2 originally.

I use to hate the idea of MMOs for consoles - but as I get older and realize consoles are an easier (less expensive) investment than up to date computers, I'm supporting them more and more. I had basically given up MMOs recently being busy with college and friends. I reached 80 in WoW and was just done, I never enjoyed it a ton. I was always an Everquest 1 and 2 player at heart (the world was much more invoking to me than WoW). I, however, am excited to see FFXIV will be a more casual game than FFXI because of time restraints as my life develops more and more responsibilities. Maybe once again I can dream of playing a summoner class. I never actually got it in FFXI. I do however hope they don't make it AS casual as WoW - its nice to have some group aspects still required.

How long till you guys think guild/link pearls (thats the name in FFXI right?) groups will start up? It's always nice to have a guild set up before a game launches, becomes that much easier to jump into.