Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV Online

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
    How long till you guys think guild/link pearls (thats the name in FFXI right?) groups will start up? It's always nice to have a guild set up before a game launches, becomes that much easier to jump into.
    Sorta seems hard to plan something like that though. If Squeenix decides that you will be randomly assigned to a server, or at least to the least populated server, it would make it difficult to be in the same server as the rest of the linkpearl once the game launches. I think people will have to wait and see what Squeenix decides to do as far as server assigning goes.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    How long till you guys think guild/link pearls (thats the name in FFXI right?) groups will start up? It's always nice to have a guild set up before a game launches, becomes that much easier to jump into.
    Sorta seems hard to plan something like that though. If Squeenix decides that you will be randomly assigned to a server, or at least to the least populated server, it would make it difficult to be in the same server as the rest of the linkpearl once the game launches. I think people will have to wait and see what Squeenix decides to do as far as server assigning goes.
    Speaking from experience, it was surprisingly easy to get people onto Midgardsormr when FFXI launched, even without the help of people who transferred characters from beta (and were thus allowed to choose their own server). I don't foresee this being a problem, and given that Square Enix probably expects a large portion of their population to come from FFXI, it would seem illogical not to have some type of method to ensure you'll be able to get on a specific server (e.g. world passes).

Lol Ouch, we lost our characters and were not able to transfer them. We actually kept in touch via a central forum/IRC Channel. Everyone in the LS i was in (which was one of the bigger known ones) and a couple of other big ones voted on Midgard...then we started a World Pass Tree from one character, where it extended to everyone else that we knew. Think we started a fund to get Passes as well with donations. We cannot choose our servers, just randomly create/delete til we hit Midgard.

With the way FFXI is now, they probably will let you choose which one to go to. About guilds being established, probably within the first day for the dedicated gamer. If people can beat certain content in a day, like a Raid, then a guild is nothing.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

I will most likely end up running our linkshell alongside both FFXI and FFXIV.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Masamunemaster View Post
    ok here is my view on the Wow vs. FF games stuff...

you have WoW as the main thing for warcraft...I bet most the people on there never even played any of the other warcrafts, even after someone says they should

FFXI isnt the only game in that series thats memoriable....most people(the sane ones)would rather play the other games than sit on XI all night long

so in the majority of the games played in the series'

Warcraft WoW, and maybe warcraft 3 maybe
    FF XI 12 dissidea 7 8 6 9 4 2 1

in the long run square has no need to fight online battles...they got the offline set for a very long time
    I assume you had a point in there.. but I missed it. I have played all of the "main series" FFs and many of them multiple time through. Your argument that there's enough in the main series that nothing else is needed doesn't quite hold true. Additionally, as anyone who has actually played FFXI can tell you, there's a ton of content and story and you could play for years and never see half of it. You can see all of most of the offline FFs in a week or two of hardcore playing. I'm not saying if that's a pro or a con... just a fact.

Also, are you suggesting that simply because WoW has a backstory (which you say is irrelevant because nobody plays them) and that since FFXI is standalone it's suddenly less worthwhile? FFXI, like any other in the series, can do what it wishes independent of the rest of the series. This is something WoW couldn't do due to pre-existing lore restraints.

As far as being memorable... having played FFXI and WoW each for three years (at different times) I can say (imo) that FFXI was a more memorable game due to the depth of the story and the focus thereon.

I use to hate the idea of MMOs for consoles - but as I get older and realize consoles are an easier (less expensive) investment than up to date computers, I'm supporting them more and more.
    Consoles can't grow and eventually they set an artificial ceiling for simple things in any game. Sure the PS3 doesn't seem like a limited piece of machinery now, but neither did PS2 at FFXI's launch. Then you run into the frustratingly ubiquitous comments from the devs about "PS2 limitations" for things like simply giving us adequate inventory or any number of other issues that would simply not come up if it were PC exclusive.

Regardless of the popularity, even if FFXIV hit WoW numbers (btw, not going to happen) the game would be forced into retirement in under a decade due to the lagging performance of the PS3... or everyone would have to move to PC, and some simply wouldn't. While it's true that the playerbase in Japan loves the console MMO thing, it's a trade off for SE to get those numbers both through Sony and from the JP playerbase but to box themselves in at the same time. It's probably the right business move, but it's frustrating nonetheless in the long run.

stuff about server assignments
    This will definitely not be an issue with FFXIV. This is one of the things SE fixed in FFXI. Of course, like most, they waited years to do it and it was too little too late. If they'd had the foresight to fix most of these problems ahead of time instead of during FFXI's relative decline the game might've been a serious competitor (still not a WoW competitor, but that's irrelevant). Luckily for us wanting to play FFXIV, it sounds as though they were using FFXI as an extended beta to learn how an MMO should actually run and rather than applying most of those fixes to FFXI they've been incorporating them in FFXIV.

They've announced XIV already, and its going to be MMO? Oh man and I finally got XI and just still haven't started it yet. Oh well if they continue to support XI than its not that big of a deal.

Well since XIV is announced for a 2010 release it probably means we should be seeing XIII come out soon too. To hear that Uematsu is composing and Yoshida is doing the character designs that alone makes me excited for the game, the trailer looked good too.

I was just saying to the WoW fanboys that SW doesnt need to try to kick WoW off the throne of MMOs, because the other games in the series,unlike the warcraft series, actually still get played and bought on a regular basis.

Did that clear it up a lil?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Lionx View Post
    Lol Ouch, we lost our characters and were not able to transfer them. We actually kept in touch via a central forum/IRC Channel. Everyone in the LS i was in (which was one of the bigger known ones) and a couple of other big ones voted on Midgard...then we started a World Pass Tree from one character, where it extended to everyone else that we knew. Think we started a fund to get Passes as well with donations. We cannot choose our servers, just randomly create/delete til we hit Midgard.
    I know, man. Krystic and I did exactly that for the WLA when the game was launched. Perhaps I was wrong about the beta, but otherwise the world pass tree was nowhere near as difficult to create as you're implying it was. You're talking about moving the whole GA, which was a ridiculous endeavor. I was only talking about getting a group of close friends. =P

Blog Entries

Aw. I got really excited at the XIV trailer. Then they started saying worrying things like "join us" and I thought 'uh oh...' then sure enough it said "online" and it's like - well, back to looking forward (and forward and forward) to the European release of XIII

They shouldn't number them in with the single player adventures, IMO.

Should be interesting still, but I've only just got around to grabbing XI... Everquest was more than enough to fulfill my MMORPG desires for this part of a lifetime.

BTW I don't think it'll be knocking WoW off its throne. FF always comes across more of a 'hardcore gamer' type game, relatively speaking, compared with WoW which is an "everybody's game" (people at work play it, parents play it, even the milkman probably plays it)
    Last edited by Cloudane; 06-04-2009 at 10:02 PM.

I was just saying to the WoW fanboys that SW doesnt need to try to kick WoW off the throne of MMOs, because the other games in the series,unlike the warcraft series, actually still get played and bought on a regular basis.

I'm not sure what SW is, but to say that Warcraft games don't get played anymore is pretty far from the truth. Warcraft 3 is still one of the most played, popular, and sought after Real Time Stragety games out there. Just the fact that its online service is still being supported and populated by thousands of gamers is proof of this fact. About the only other game in the RTS genre that I can think of that rivals it is Starcraft which is ironically another Blizzard game.
    Last edited by the AJman; 06-04-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Whatever release date they do fix to XIV, you can rest assured it will be correct and won't be constantly pushed back. I'd say they can't wait to get their hands green with money.

Str8 Pimpin'

Well, from things said in recent interviews you can interpolate the release date.

Things SE said:
    1. It will be released after FFXIII (slated for Spring 2010)
    2. It will have a longer beta than FFXI (longer than 3-4 months)
    3. Beta plans aren't solidified yet.

Now let's look at the history of FFXI. It was first announced in January 2000 with the beta opening in December of 2001 (nearly 2 years later).

While they obviously can't wait 2 years between announcement and beta without releasing it late in 2011... it's fair to say the beta will probably not start until long after the announcement (days ago).

Additionally, they may not want to overlap the beta too much with the coming content for FFXI.

My guess is that the beta will probably start at the end of the holiday season (December 2009) or a tad later and they will probably want at least 6 months of beta testing.

Well, you don't have to be a genius to see (simply from the "after FFXIII" comment) that it's obviously going to be Q3 or Q4... my guess is the latter.

EDIT: BTW... if some of you haven't seen the latest news and are curious.

Q&A from E3:
    E3 Press Conference Q&A - The Final Fantasy 14.com

IGN interview:
    IGN: E3 2009: Final Fantasy XIV - What We Know

Additionally, there's apparently a recent Japanese interview that revealed some more information. We're waiting (on another forum) for the resident translator to do his magic to get the particulars that auto-translations fail at.

EDIT2: More news

Video "interview" from IGN (similar to but different from the above):
    IGN Video: Final Fantasy XIV Online PlayStation 3 Interview - E3 2009: Interview

EDIT3: ... yeah

Allakhazam.com: Final Fantasy XI: FFXIV NEWS - Tanaka & Komoto Interview <--- This may or may not be the aforementioned Japanese interview.
    Last edited by Yeargdribble; 06-05-2009 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the AJman View Post

I'm not sure what SW is, but to say that Warcraft games don't get played anymore is pretty far from the truth. Warcraft 3 is still one of the most played, popular, and sought after Real Time Stragety games out there. Just the fact that its online service is still being supported and populated by thousands of gamers is proof of this fact. About the only other game in the RTS genre that I can think of that rivals it is Starcraft which is ironically another Blizzard game.
    SE...was late for work><

but yea....warcraft 3 is the only one really played anymore other than WoW right?...my point is made..I think

I still play Starcraft lol. I have WC3 but i dont play it...not my style.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Quote Originally Posted by the AJman View Post

SE...was late for work><

but yea....warcraft 3 is the only one really played anymore other than WoW right?...my point is made..I think
    Don't worry about, thats ok we all make typos, I can't go for a single post without having to go back and fix things.

The first two games are still being played as well, just not to the degree as the other two considering WoW and Warcraft 3 and much more popular. At least half of the warcraft series (if you count WoW and all its expansions as one entity), is still doing very strongly and dominating their respect genres. World of Warcraft is the undisputed best selling MMORPG period and Warcraft 3 is one of the most popular RTS games out there. Warcraft is series that is very far from dying or being wash up.

Now doen't get me wrong I'm not saying which series is better. Heck the companies that make these games, Square Enix and Blizzard, are two of my all time favorite game companies. I'm just saying don't sell Warcraft short.
    Last edited by the AJman; 06-06-2009 at 07:11 PM.