Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV Online

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Successful troll was successful, boy howdy.

You guys also need to realise that the PS3 is far more advanced than what the PS2 was at its time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    Successful troll was successful, boy howdy.
    Don't you get it yet? Trolling is lame, and if successful, just proves how much loser one can be.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Well, I can at least agree that for the fairly small strain an MMO will need to put on the console, PS3 will not perform so poorly as the PS2. Once you've laid your graphical framework the only really important things are how much space you leave yourself to work in. It's unlikely they will invoke PS3 limitations for simple things like inventory or the ilk. Those were really the killers in FFXI.

What I think could really hurt the game is if they make the UI too limited or make a mistake on par with not allowing windower. They will then cite their ToS about 3rd party tools. Though it will be easier to get 3rd party tools onto a PS3... they will probably still suggest that their use on a PC would constitute an unfair advantage.

Aside from that, and my confession that the PS3 is probably less of a long-term technological shackle than the PS2 was... let's be wise enough to have foresight about this. PS2 looked great at the time. We take our 20/20 hindsight and try to believe that we thought it wasn't great, but by-and-large people did. I remember being wowed by SotC and while it's still an impressive game, it just doesn't hold up to current gaming.

I still hear people comment that they can't imagine how much better it could get than the graphics of the latest Metal Gear installment. I don't believe that and even if I did... I'm a realist. New technology will come and graphics can be made to look even better. There are things far beyond photorealistic depictions of events in a game.

In short, my point is, there will be PS3 limitation as an issue one day. It's an artificial ceiling that's already on the game. While we might not be able to even imagine it yet, there will be problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    Well, I can at least agree that for the fairly small strain an MMO will need to put on the console, PS3 will not perform so poorly as the PS2. Once you've laid your graphical framework the only really important things are how much space you leave yourself to work in. It's unlikely they will invoke PS3 limitations for simple things like inventory or the ilk. Those were really the killers in FFXI.

What I think could really hurt the game is if they make the UI too limited or make a mistake on par with not allowing windower. They will then cite their ToS about 3rd party tools. Though it will be easier to get 3rd party tools onto a PS3... they will probably still suggest that their use on a PC would constitute an unfair advantage.
    Well, SE have learnt a lot from FFXI and these would be founding situations they'll most likely avoid. For the most part, they have fixed those issues in FFXI - they have an official window mode and they recently released more Gobbie Bag quests along with Mog Satchel (gives me 70-80 more inventory space on the fly).

As for the UI, well... there's not much you can do about that in FFXI. I really do hope they put a lot of thought into it this time around. They also really need to let playesr customise their UI's to a certain degree.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

I hope if they release a PC version, it doesn't take all kinds of tweaking and text file editing to have half decent graphics and usable controls!

I might get into mmo's for this thing.
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

Simply having a little customization in the UI would be helpful. LOTRO online had a simple fix for this and also doesn't allow 3rd party tools. At any time you can go into a customize mode and make things visible or invisible, change their size, change their position. It's simple but still a great idea.

It's basically like the Dominos addon for WoW, which I honestly can't live without.

One of the hugest foundational flaws I hope they fix for FFXIV is the AH limitations.

Blog Entries

This makes me feel like a butt for not getting on FFXI more often. They're already making a new game, darnit!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only thing stopping me from ejaculating everywhere in excitement is the PS3 part. If the PS3 was as cheap as a 360, I'd actually think about getting one just to play this game. I'm yet to play XI, but will be starting soon, and the various problems I've heard about it on the 360 make the whole thing seem very unappealing. I'd quite like to check out an MMORPG that was specifically designed for the console I play it on.

Having said that, depending on where you look an Elite costs about the same. I imagine it won't be another year before I invest in a PS3.