Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jobs

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I'm wondering how exactly weapons are going to fit into the development of your character when there's also a job system involved. Part of me thinks it might suggest different types of the same class (i.e., if you raise a red mage frequently wielding a sword, your melee capabilities may develop more than your magic) which would allow for some diversification within even the classes. While this would certainly be interesting, I can't imagine it would very much help the whole situation in FFXI which pigeon-holes players into cookie-cutter job combinations.

Then again, the perceived problem of cookie-cutter main/support job combinations in FFXI has never seemed as much of a problem to me as it has to other people. Some jobs are better paired than others simply due to their nature, and the ones that the community demands are the optimal, most efficient job pairings. People scream and shout, "I'm paying my money to play this game, I should be able to do what I want!" but I just shout back, "You're free to do what you want on your own time; but I'm paying too so don't drag me down if you want to play with an unorthodox (and frequently inferior) play-style."

Balancing between main jobs, on the other hand, is most certainly necessary, although I often think perceived imbalances between jobs are more frequently faults of the community as opposed to those of Square Enix. Certainly DRG was weak upon its introduction, but more often than not, such examples of weak jobs are usually just that the player base are, by and large, bad at playing said jobs. Case in point: puppet master. Take the average puppet master and they are, as the community loves to call them, a lolPUP. However, that's because the people playing them aren't willing to put the time, effort, and money into making a good PUP (all jobs take time and effort, and the economy in-game which drives the price of PUP gear up is controlled by us, not by SE). A good PUP can solo Diabolos Prime.

For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over - the problem with job imbalance is as much the fault of the community as it is of Square Enix.

Final Fantasy Tactics A/A2 and FFIX have all a system where you learn skills from weapons. Also, materia on weapons in FFVII was a way that weapons were significant in another game as well.

I hope there's a summoner class. I am in consideration of leveling summoner in FFXI, but honestly if they state the same kind of class in FFXIV then I'm all for that - I just hope it wouldn't be reduced to mediocre back-up healer during exp parties.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    Final Fantasy Tactics A/A2 and FFIX have all a system where you learn skills from weapons. Also, materia on weapons in FFVII was a way that weapons were significant in another game as well.
    I hadn't considered that, but now that I think about it, that does seem far more likely than what I was thinking about. Still, in all those games exp. is a factor, and it seems that such a system of learning abilities through weapons still doesn't explain how it'll increase base stats.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Masamunemaster View Post
    and hopefully they arent as annoying to open...aka going through an area about 25 levels higher than you just to get ninja...
    You can totally do that fight with a full party of lv30s!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    I hadn't considered that, but now that I think about it, that does seem far more likely than what I was thinking about. Still, in all those games exp. is a factor, and it seems that such a system of learning abilities through weapons still doesn't explain how it'll increase base stats.
    For all we know:

SE: "Not using exp."
    *months later*
    SE: "HAHA JUST KIDDING IT'S AN EXP. GRIND FEST!"

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamunemaster View Post
    and hopefully they arent as annoying to open...aka going through an area about 25 levels higher than you just to get ninja...
    You can totally do that fight with a full party of lv30s!

eh that and having someone rush you through the jungle to norg(I think that was it...haventbeen able to get on in months) and say hey....were gonna take off on chocos about halfway through...and leave you to find out how to get past the tough monsters yourself.....

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You only need sneak to get through sea serpent grotto and to Norg.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

All the LS WHM were on vacation...at the same time for some reason....and everyone I ran across that had it was either busy or just plain @$$holes

Buy a silent oil or two, they are cheap as chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    My guess would be that the weapon skills augment base stats as a character gets better with those weapons. ie. Someone who uses a heavy two-hander may see strength and defense stats go up, while an archer will see improved dexterity over time.

Each job would only be able to use certain weapons, so that would help prevent people from just maxing out all the weapons in search of uber-stats. Also, I hope this allows for more wiggle room as to how players play their class. Perhaps a mage equipped with a staff would play noticably different from one using a dagger, with even greater variety for the melee classes.

Anywho, sorry I veered a bit from the main purpose of the topic. As for jobs that I would like to see in FFXIV, geomancers would be nice, and some totally new jobs as well (thumb wrestlers! ).

It's a Runescape mechanic

Dragoon, chemist, and archer.
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I would like to see them break trend and make the basic classes (warrior, white mage, black mage, thief etc) really freaking awesome and lock them, so you have to start with the advanced classes. It would probably lead to a nicer spread of characters.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I would like to see them break trend and make the basic classes (warrior, white mage, black mage, thief etc) really freaking awesome and lock them, so you have to start with the advanced classes. It would probably lead to a nicer spread of characters.
    I would totally do archer til I got thf