Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

No, the Prologue of the game costs 800 Wii Points. Please view the Final Fantasy IV: The After Years article on Wikipedia for more information on pricing.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh man why didn't I get this game sooner. It's everything I wanted. A true old school sequel to an old school FF game.

I'm hearing talk that it's too short so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm only at the waterway.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

No, the entire game is not short, but the entire collection effectively lacks a middle of the game. You complete individual chapters to prepare them for the end game. There is only one chapter that acts as a middle of the game segue into the end of the game.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah so this game annoys me now. The encounter rate is outrageous and every other battle is a back attack. Might as well just put my healers in the first row regardless. I completed Kain's chapter and tried the 'Bonus dungeon' and got slaughtered. I don't think I'll go back there.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The bonus dungeons are impossible unless you're quite leveled up and take it VERY slowly and safely.

Here's my review of the (almost) entire game (because my friend and I are saved right before what we are sure must be the final boss):
    Mothersmurfing awesome!
    EXCEPT: I wish they hadn't used so much stuff from the previous game. By that, I mean: was it really necessary to have Fabul attacked in EXACTLY the same way it was in the first game?
    I also didn't like having to revisit certain places multiple times. I don't know HOW many times I had to travel the Waterway thing. But TOO many.
    Also, the last dungeon:
    (SPOILER)That many boss battles in one dungeon is absurd and came off as fan-game-ish to me. Don't get me wrong: totally fun. But it still was a bit silly.

That being said, I LOVED it! I was shocked when I heard this game was being made and then shocked it was actually coming to the US! And then shocked that it was so good. I hope it sold well enough for Squeenix to take note and make more quality sequels to such games. Or at least to make more old-school style games.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I just used teleport to escape the battles and went after the treasure. The boss wasn't that bad since I fought him on the moon where special attacks are boosted so Kain's jump did like 4000 damage. I only got a bomb fragment from it though.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Bomb Fragment? Lame.

That's the annoying thing about how the Bonus Dungeons are set up. There's a list of treasures you CAN get from the chest, but it's random which one you actually get. I'm not a completest these days, so I didn't bother going back in to hunt down the rare stuff.

Yeah I really hate random treasure chests. They pulled this crap in FFXII too which is just crap. In online games like XI I get it since you can't just have one chest for one person to open, but in one player games it's just silly and a cheap way to have replay value.

Edit: Oh yeah I'm Quina. Uh, I EAT YOUR BOMB FRAGMENT. *learns Self-Destruct*

I DO WHAT I WANT. YOU HAVE PROBLEM?