Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official FFXIV News Thread

Any noun containing an adjective in the known world is an opinion not a fact as there are conflicting judgements among everyone.
    First... what? Second, Omecle's statement was not an opinion. Third... are you saying that nothing is fact and everything is subjective or are you just saying that adjectives are subjective? Either way, Omecle's statements weren't qualified by any adjectives that I noticed. If they were, that would not change the fact that everything he stated was a fact that you can look up if you so choose.

I also do not approve of the word you state unto me which was ignorance. A known negative word is immature and insensitive to the person to whom it is directed.
    Ignorance isn't a known negative word nor was it directed at you in an immature fashion. Perhaps you should check the definition. It simply means you lack knowledge of something and is not akin to a word like stupid. I am openly ignorant about many things.

Try not to play the victim and just accept that Omecle made factual statements. He obviously wasn't trying to step on any toes and was merely answering a question stated.

As a matter of game design, throwing more bodies at the project will not necessarily produce the faster or better results. It's often actually better to use a small, focused group who knows what one another are thinking than a very large group churning out content that is less cohesive.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    Any noun containing an adjective in the known world is an opinion not a fact as there are conflicting judgements among everyone.
    First... what? Second, Omecle's statement was not an opinion. Third... are you saying that nothing is fact and everything is subjective or are you just saying that adjectives are subjective? Either way, Omecle's statements weren't qualified by any adjectives that I noticed. If they were, that would not change the fact that everything he stated was a fact that you can look up if you so choose.
    surprising contains an adjective as you can see here. surprise - definition of surprise by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. i was referring to adjective, but since you mentioned it I guess anything can be subjective, but that just causes headaches. You also avoided my example on why the transive verb surprising is subjective and is only opinion.

I also do not approve of the word you state unto me which was ignorance. A known negative word is immature and insensitive to the person to whom it is directed.
    Ignorance isn't a known negative word nor was it directed at you in an immature fashion. Perhaps you should check the definition. It simply means you lack knowledge of something and is not akin to a word like stupid. I am openly ignorant about many things.
    It is known to be used negatively quite often more than positive. You have to had heard many people using it for insults and I am aware of the definition, you also left out the part also saying uneducated.

Try not to play the victim and just accept that Omecle made factual statements. He obviously wasn't trying to step on any toes and was merely answering a question stated.
    How am I playing the victim when his statement wasn't even directed towards me?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I explicitly stated that your lack of knowledge regarding the topic was not criticism (read the post if you need evidence). What else should I call your lack of knowledge about the tech demo and information provided over the past for years but ignorance? Please don't waste time twisting my words in an attempt to make it seem as if I've attacked you personally in any manner. Ignorance is not a sin, especially when it's ignorance involving something so trivial as a tech demo for a video game which came out four years past. It's not something I look down upon you for not knowing--that would be absolutely ridiculous. However, the information has been out there for almost four years. To the community at large, the existence of this game is not, and should not be, a surprise.

You also fail to see which part of the argument provided by Omecle might be classified as a surprise. I've already outlined in my previous post, as has Omecle, why this should not be viewed as a surprise. If information has been readily available for four years, I don't think that this announcement can be reasonably considered to fall under either definition of surprise you've provided. Pay particular attention ot the second definition: 2. Something, such as an unexpected encounter, event, or gift, that surprises. If information about Rapture's development has been in existence for four years, I think you might be hard pressed to explain how exactly it might be classified as "unexpected."

Further, as Yearg has already discussed, increasing the manpower behind a project does not necessarily equate to a quicker release. It's all about diminishing returns. Beyond a certain point, every additional worker added to a project adds less and less to the project. It's not fiscally sound for a company to reduce efficiency in this manner. Also, as Roogle has stated, it is not uncommon for large developers like Square Enix to have multiple projects being developed by multiple teams at the same time. Therefore, the comment that they've announced this before FFXIII's release really has no bearing on the project at hand. It's perhaps a bit unorthodox, but is, as Omecle has stated, completely unrelated to FFXIII's development cycle. Arguing otherwise is simply ignorant.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

"Ignorant" is only synonymous with "uneducated" insofar as "educated" is associated with the acquisition of knowledge. While "ignorant" has connotes that are rather negative, its denotative meaning is rather neutral. Hardly seemed malicious and to be honest it seems like a a mole hill is being turned into a mountain here. :/

EDIT: I can't wait for FFXIIIv (or is it FFvXIII? Anyways, VERSUS!) to be released so that team can hopefully work on a new KH title in the main series!

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Further, as Yearg has already discussed, increasing the manpower behind a project does not necessarily equate to a quicker release. It's all about diminishing returns. Beyond a certain point, every additional worker added to a project adds less and less to the project. It's not fiscally sound for a company to reduce efficiency in this manner.
    This is basic project management fundamentals, just to push the point further.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Soooo... I wonder how long it will be before they divulge any new information on this. Knowing SE they will either trickle out fairly pointless bits of information that tell us nothing every few weeks, or they will starve us for a few months and then drop some more bombs.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

From what I remembered from an interview there should be some bread crumbs in the near future. I expect either later this month or early next month a new tease of some sort. :/

It'd be nice to have more info on LaCie.

Apparently in a Japanese interview (which really had no new information) they used the word "soon" with relation to announcement ofthe beta. Soon probably doesn't actually mean soon, but soon is better than "no comment" or some such. Good chance beta may even start before the end of Q4 *wishful thinking*.

It looks like they'll be wanting to start the beta fairly 'soon', considering if they want a 2010 release date and they want the beta to last longer than FFXI's, they don't really have much time.

I wish they wouldn't drip feed us only slight information. Look at NCSoft for example - they are great with keeping the fanbase up to date with what is going on in the developers side, and they keep close communication with premiere fanmade communities. I really wish SE were like that...

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I think that's the primary thing SE is going to need to learn. Blizzard does it incredibly well but at least they are western by default. NCSoft is doing a great job especially considering they are not western by default.

SE is like, "We're JP... GFY!" They really need to interact with their western audience and really with their audience in general. They make comments about how this is so important to them during recent interviews and all I can think is how much I'm calling BS in my head an how anyone who has played FFXI is doing the same.

I feel like (and hope) FFXI was just a giant beta for them. I almost wonder if the reason they were so slow about implementation of anything to fix problems was because a) they had already set too shaky of a foundation and b) they were too busy making notes and drafting these ideas into FFXIV.

I want to believe that it's more than pure arrogance and apathy... I really do.

As for the window in which they could start beta... they've already stated FFXIV will come out after FFXIII (Q2 2010) which means they can ballpark Q3-Q4 and only start beta in around January of 2010 and still have a beta that's nearly double the length of FFXIs. I also don't trust that 2010 is set in stone... I mean... seriously... SE lacks any type of integrity when it comes big announcements about release dates. You can typically add a year.

Like the above though, I really hope it's not that way. I hope they've done the math and their homework and that they really do mean "soon" on the beta and that by 2010 they are planning on scraping by the skin of their teeth to hit a late December 2010 launch date.

On the note of the release date - MMORPGs have a notorious habit of releasing too early due to the relatively high cost of production compared to regular console games. If that indicates that the 2010 date is more likely than people would think, I do not know. However, I hope it is. Granted I find hoping for MMOs too come out fast is a double edged sword. For one, you get to play it sooner. However, if it's unfinished I will have to listen to constant whining on forums. Not to mention constant WoW comparisons.

Some potentially new information has come from a Famitsu interview (primarily about FFXI). I don't really have a confirmed source/trans at the moment.

It looks like two very small bits of new info.

-No for-pay type DLC as far as things like new jobs are concerned.

-Will most likely be distributed both by box and by download.

I'll add it to the main list if I can get some confirmation soon.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post

I wish they wouldn't drip feed us only slight information. Look at NCSoft for example - they are great with keeping the fanbase up to date with what is going on in the developers side, and they keep close communication with premiere fanmade communities. I really wish SE were like that...

NCSoft is equally notorious, GW2 is a grand example of drip-feeding.

Last edited by Ultimage; 08-04-2009 at 07:13 PM.

RDM 75, PLD 65, BST 75, MNK 75, SAM 75

The new taru makes me die a little inside.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3